Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cygwin Emacs confusion

Options
  • 28-09-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I'm currently using emacs to write programmes in C and using Cygwin to compile them in college. I'm still very new to programming so I want to practice on my laptop at home, but I've had a few problems setting up emacs and cygwin. I've downloaded them successfully, but whenever I try compiling the programme on Cygwin, this message comes up:
    "emacs is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Any feedback on how to solve this problem would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We'd need more information about your setup.

vi is better than emacs anyway, so you could just use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Trojan wrote: »
    We'd need more information about your setup.

vi is better than emacs anyway, so you could just use that.

iKzUL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rocky Marciano

Thanks for replying :)
    Well I was hoping to use emacs and cygwin since they're the ones I'm using in college and I'd like to use the same programmes at home on my laptop for consistency. Any practice on emacs would really help me as I'm still a newbie with programming and I'd like to get better.

What kind of information do you need to know about my setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

If you run the setup.exe that comes with cygwin you can choose to install additional packages - choose emacs and install.

Also how are you compiling your programs? from inside emacs or from the cygwin terminal with gcc?

When I ran the setup, the only additional packages I selected were "gcc g++ C++ compiler" and "gcc core C compiler".
    Would I be as well off to uninstall cygwin and re-install with the emacs additional package, or can I fix the problem without un-installing?

I was compiling the programmes from the cygwin cmd prompt window with the gcc compiler, since that's the way I was doing it in college.

Thanks for your reply btw; I really appreciate the feedback :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Just run the Cygwin setup.exe again and select the emacs package. If there are any other packages that emacs needs the Cygwin installer should prompt you to also install those.

I got it working at last! Thank you so much to everyone who replied; your help was greatly appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Advertisement