Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM problem

Options
  • 29-09-2012 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

hi i have a dell e520 which came with 1 gb ram (2 sticks,half gb each)

i upgraded to 4gb (4 sticks of 1gb) and started getting ram related bsods (after about a year or so) so i put back in the original ram and the problem was solved but the pc was slow

i then bought 4 more gb ram (2 sticks of 2gb) and started getting the same ram related bsods with the new ram

i put the 2 original half gb sticks in the free slots along with the 2 x 2gb sticks and now the pc works fine with the mixed ram

anyone have an idea whats going on?

why does it work with the 2 original sticks in slots but if i were to remove them leaving just the 2 x 2gb i start getting bsods?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Are you sure that you are using the corect spec ram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

hi i have a dell e520 which came with 1 gb ram (2 sticks,half gb each)

i upgraded to 4gb (4 sticks of 1gb) and started getting ram related bsods (after about a year or so) so i put back in the original ram and the problem was solved but the pc was slow

i then bought 4 more gb ram (2 sticks of 2gb) and started getting the same ram related bsods with the new ram

i put the 2 original half gb sticks in the free slots along with the 2 x 2gb sticks and now the pc works fine with the mixed ram

anyone have an idea whats going on?

why does it work with the 2 original sticks in slots but if i were to remove them leaving just the 2 x 2gb i start getting bsods?

thanks

A motherboard has a max supported RAM speed.

The new RAM you bought has a higher clock speed then your system can handle. Hence the blue screen.

When you mix different speeds of RAM the system will clock it at the slowest installed RAM's speed.

When you mix your old and new RAM the system throttles it to the speed of your old RAM, which the system supports and that's why it works.

Bottom line is your buying the wrong RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

RADIUS wrote: »
    A motherboard has a max supported RAM speed.

The new RAM you bought has a higher clock speed then your system can handle. Hence the blue screen.

When you mix different speeds of RAM the system will clock it at the slowest installed RAM's speed.

When you mix your old and new RAM the system throttles it to the speed of your old RAM, which the system supports and that's why it works.

Bottom line is your buying the wrong RAM.

thanks lads

@radius....im not questioning your advice but why did the second lot that i bought work fine for over a year before getting bsods?

Advertisement