Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed Identification

Options
  • 29-09-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,
    I have this "thing" growing all over my garden. It has my flowers all cramped and the more i pull it the more it grows. It has really really long roots, a little woody or stringy that just never seem to end. I took these pictures last night as i've googled and googled it and after everything i was thinking is it "sheep sorrel" but i don't know.
    Hopefully one of you will know more as i'm only getting started with the garden thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Yah ! Sheep sorrel is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kitty171184

I thought so too just needed clarification..Thanks for that. So have you any ideas of what i should do to get rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Its either a mannual dig out or a glyphosate spray for larger plants, depending on how you feel. I dont think these grow back from root segments so a simpler weedkiller like weedall might do the job.

But from your photo it looks like previous plants have gone to seed as there are so many seedlings covering the ground now. It will probably be an ongoing problem for a while until the seed bank runs out, as they can be prolific seeders.

Just pull the small seedlings as soon as you see them, or a mulch with mypex underneath may keep them at bay.

As a side note sheeps sorrel is similar to dock, but in my wild meadow I prefer the look of sorrel waveing in the wind as it has a thinner seed head that is red and blends nicely with the grasses, dock tends to be more heavy set and taller. But i keep the dock too till its seeds ripen and the plant begins to dry out and then prune them out julyish, as there is a gold beetle that lays its eggs on dock. That way I prevent the spread of the dock and the plant does not grow again that year, whereas if I top it earlier in the year it regrows. The problem with this I discovered this year is that dock, like any plant, has a life span of a number of years, and by not letting new ones seed spread the amount of dock for the beetle has gone down so next year I plan to let a number go to seed and spread the seed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kitty171184

I actually did try a weed killer but to no avail. It is long established in all the soil i think and bits that i did try to dig seem to still come back. Maybe a stronger weed killer is needed. All of my land is very stoney - limestone type - and i think that this is the main reason i have this so bad. i read somewhere that fertilising the soil alot more might help combat this but as i said i'm not really sure just know that this has become such a nuisance now. Any advice is greatfully appreciated though and taken onboard.

Advertisement