Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You need to earn double your Irish wage in australia

Options
  • 29-09-2012 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I have heard people say alot, especially for sydney and melbourne that you need to be on twice your gross irish salary to have the same spending power in australia, is this true. That would mean id have to earn 100-105k in australia,I dont think my profession pays that over there:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's relative to your lifestyle and future expectations. I'm on a non professional average aussie wage and am well able to save a third but i'm not in the pub often. My lifestyle persuits don't cost much and the weather is too nice here to be busting your balls chasing the big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Have a read of the thread a bit down the page, it's very relevant

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056764769

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Dunno who you've been talking to but I think your getting dodgie advice. I didn't find Melbourne half as expensive as people make it out to be.

If your living and working in Melbourne you can rent some where decent for under $400 a week bills included. Groceries aren't that much more expensive then home. Transport system is good so you shouldnt really need a car.

Beer can be expensive but there are good deals to be had if you don't go gung ho on the pints. Likewise eating out can be dear enough but if you shop around (and use the deal websites) you can get good deals

Me and GF were able to save one pay cheque a week while working in Melbourne.. Even though we'd eat out once a week and usually go for drinks as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have heard people say alot, especially for sydney and melbourne that you need to be on twice your gross irish salary to have the same spending power in australia, is this true. That would mean id have to earn 100-105k in australia,I dont think my profession pays that over there:(

You don't need 100-105K to live, if you are single and sharing a rent you could definitely live on 50-60K with a decent enough lifstyle. Of course $100K+ is far better so if you are smart and have the skills that will pay the good coin you will be rewarded more and enjoy an even better lifestyle... that's just life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You don't need 100-105K to live, if you are single and sharing a rent you could definitely live on 50-60K with a decent enough lifstyle. Of course $100K+ is far better so if you are smart and have the skills that will pay the good coin you will be rewarded more and enjoy an even better lifestyle... that's just life.

But that wasnt my query ,im sure you can live on 50-60k dollars in aus the same way you can live on 20-25k here.But my query was having the same spending power with my current irish wage which was 50-55k last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

thinly clad do you make as much as me thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ICE is pretty expensive over here not to mention e or Crack cocaine.

So if you are fond of that it will cost you...

thinly clad do you make as much as me thread.

what are you talking about ,why would anyone want to create a thread like that, are you one of those the world and everyone is against me types

Zambia wrote: »

What is it with the smart alec type comments, I ask a genuine question and I get this type of ****e, look just never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

But that wasnt my query ,im sure you can live on 50-60k dollars in aus the same way you can live on 20-25k here.But my query was having the same spending power with my current irish wage which was 50-55k last year

You dont need double your wage out here. I would equate 60k here to earning about 35-40k back home, not 20-25k. Dont be daft!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Zambia wrote: »

Someone told me Weed is actually quite hard to get there. And expensive too..

Well it's all relative if you were earning €55K in Ireland then $100K+ is more adequate, although depending on what industry will determine what the pay is if that doesnt really suit then there is nothing you can do about except maybe try a better paying occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Id say for a similar lifestyle, earning €50-55k, you would want to be earing $80-90k here in Oz, the expensive things here are nights out and rent, but if your not really a drinker, you could have more disposable income, from what ive seen food is more or less a similar price, sporting events like AFL can be fairly cheap etc. A decent one bed apartment in the big cities will set you back $300 - 400 a week. At least in Melbourne, Sydney may be a bit pricier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is it with the smart alec type comments, I ask a genuine question and I get this type of ****e, look just never mind.

With the level of qualifications you are stating you have you will be on a decent wedge.

So I am being serious unless you have a crack drink or gambling habit you will be fine.

If you are coming to Oz just for the money ...dont come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

It's a very simple way of looking at it I admit but I always think of it like this:

Whatever you are earning in AUD divide by 8 and then multiply by 5 to get the amount in EUR that would provide a similar standard of living.

A pint of lager in a fairly decent pub in Dublin city centre would be about 5 euro. A pint of lager in Melbourne about 8 dollars. It's an overly simply way of seeing things but if you divide by 8 and multiply by 5 I think it gives a fair enough reflection.

For example if you ordered a good burger or chicken parma meal at a pub in Melbourne it would be about 20 dollars. That equates to 12.50 in euro, which is about what you'd pay for a burger in a decent pub in Dublin city.

So if you are earning 50k in Ireland you should be aiming for about 80k here.

Obviously this doesnt take into account the different tax systems in each country. You wont lose as much to tax here.

Though $8 is fairly cheap for a pint here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Though $8 is fairly cheap for a pint here

Not really, mostly can be anywhere between $6 and $9 for a good pint. $8 is about right I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Not really, mostly can be anywhere between $6 and $9 for a good pint. $8 is about right I think.

In the CBD, in Melbourne?? Do tell...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

In the CBD, in Melbourne?? Do tell...!

I don't often drink in the CBD but it was $9 pints in the Rooftop bar on Swanston St last time I was there (about two weeks ago). I've never paid more than $10 for a pint in Melbourne anyway. My local does $9 jugs all week. I don't think $8 is a ridiculous figure as an average.

PJ O Brien's is between $7.80 - $8.80 pint in Sydney

PJ O Briens in Melbourne is $8-$9.5

• Advertisement

PJ O Brien's is between $7.80 - $8.80 pint in Sydney

PJ O Briens in Melbourne is $8-$9.5

Yeah I have found Melbourne dearer for drink than Sydney, and that's a large portion of my expenditure unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

I have heard people say alot, especially for sydney and melbourne that you need to be on twice your gross irish salary to have the

same spending power in australia, is this true. That would mean id have to earn 100-105k in australia,I dont think my profession pays that over there:(

Your spot on , my mate came home $16 for a head of lettice , $ 10 a pint, $12 for bannans , $1200 a week in Sydney two bed and Perth , unless you work in the mines forget it big money to live!! But it is suppose to be slowing down big time recession is looming in a two way economy

I have heard people say alot, especially for sydney and melbourne that you need to be on twice your gross irish salary to have the

same spending power in australia, is this true. That would mean id have to earn 100-105k in australia,I dont think my profession pays that over there:(

Your spot on , my mate came home $16 for a head of lettice , $ 10 a pint, $12 for bannans , $1200 a week in Sydney two bed and Perth , unless you work in the mines forget it big money to live!! But it is suppose to be slowing down big time recession is looming in a two way economy

Should state I lived there.
    For a few years befour the boom and it was cheap as chips, they are going to make a balls of it , it's going to end in tears, china sneezes oz gets a cold , 60% of australias iorn is exported to china and it's there main export, :(

Should state I lived there.
    For a few years befour the boom and it was cheap as chips, they are going to make a balls of it , it's going to end in tears, china sneezes oz gets a cold , 60% of australias iorn is exported to china and it's there main export, :(

Australia is expensive but to be fair those prices are a bit unusual, maybe there was a muppet tax included.

A lettuce is $1.50
    Bananas are $3 kg*
    2 BR Appartment depends on where you want to live, most people would pay $400-600. Although if you could afford $1200 pw in Sydney you wouldn't be worried about the price of a pint which was already stated above is usually about $8 in the CBD.

*(although I did read in the paper a few years ago that Bananas were $13 after the hurricane, never seen it myself because most of the supermarkets couldn't get them or refused to stock them at that price)

Australia is expensive but to be fair those prices are a bit unusual, maybe there was a muppet tax included.

A lettuce is $1.50
    Bananas are $3 kg*
    2 BR Appartment depends on where you want to live, most people would pay $400-600. Although if you could afford $1200 pw in Sydney you wouldn't be worried about the price of a pint which was already stated above is usually about $8 in the CBD.

*(although I did read in the paper a few years ago that Bananas were $13 after the hurricane, never seen it myself because most of the supermarkets couldn't get them or refused to stock them at that price)

Ya $600 a week for one bed two bed $1200 , no muppet tax , it seems to be silly money to even consider living in oz in a half decent part of the city otherwise your in a dump in the middle of nowhere , As for the lettuce i may have photograph proof , me mate took a photo of the Dame thing!! :)

Ya $600 a week for one bed two bed $1200

Apartments can be what ever you are prepared to pay for them depending on location, view and amenities, you could easily pay $1500-$2000 pw for a nice apartment on the wharf in Pyrmont but you can also get a 2 BR in Pyrmont for about $850. To say that you will pay $1200 pw for a 2BR unless its in the middle of nowhere is a bit silly.

As for the lettuce i may have photograph proof , me mate took a photo of the Dame thing!! :)

Fair enough, hardly an everyday price.... only a muppet would pay $16 for a lettuce. Cheaper to eat out.

Here is what the price is today

http://imgur.com/sOEUy

http://imgur.com/3Hrqu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a head of lettuce $13??? I think someone is taking the micky there.
    and yes last year bananas got up to $13/kg as there simply was no stock.

City prices for beer are pretty steep though.

hussey wrote: »
    a head of lettuce $13??? I think someone is taking the micky there.
    and yes last year bananas got up to $13/kg as there simply was no stock.

City prices for beer are pretty steep though.

nah he was quoting $16 for a $1.50 lettuce must have seen him coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

nah he was quoting $16 for a $1.50 lettuce must have seen him coming.

Must have bought it in Harris farms :eek: I could get a rabbit with the lettuce for $16.

I did however see a kg of grapes last night for $12.99 and they weren't even organic.

Advertisement