Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shock as calves are mauled to death in Donegal

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

kraggy wrote: »
    Sounds like that Animal Rites crowd.
    Thats bs frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Thats bs frankly.
    Not really
    Animal rights crowd have been known to actually kill animals and do terrible things to show a protest
    They're dirt bags
    They've released pets that they thought shouldn't be pets
    They've stolen animals aswell I know this as I was told about a fella in cork who had bops and they released 2 on him stolen 1 and hung the other with a note
    They were caught 2 days later

Thats bs frankly.

Not really
    Animal rights crowd have been known to actually kill animals and do terrible things to show a protest
    They're dirt bags
    They've released pets that they thought shouldn't be pets
    They've stolen animals aswell I know this as I was told about a fella in cork who had bops and they released 2 on him stolen 1 and hung the other with a note
    They were caught 2 days later

I agree in the past groups like peta have deystroyed wildlife and I think they are loons. The release of the mink was idiocy and has a massive enviromental impact but this doesnt carry their hallmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thats bs frankly.

Joke went over your head obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I thought the animal rights crowd suggestions were jokes.

Even to the most warped mind, there is no way brutally killing calves could be seen as any sort of protest for their rights. It's an absurd suggestion.

Also, most of the animal rights crowd dont do anything destructive at all.

Nothis doesn't sound like them but iwas just pointing out what they have done in the past
    The mink situation was a lot more than stupid and idiocy
    "let's release all these poor mink and save them and the mink will live happily ever after in harmony with our own native animals"
    Great plan idiots

Thats bs frankly.

Joke went over your head obviously.

Sorry I apologise but I have heard farmers accusing them of killing the golden eagles before (ironic considering who was doing the accussing I know). I have heard the view before and the people holding it werent joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cattle and sheep are being stolen to order all over the country. Sometimes they are slaughtered on the spot and the meat removed. I remember a case involving bullocks in Tipperary only last year

Could be an escaped or breeding bigcat. We would need to see how it was killed to be sure.
    I wouldn't think cat
    In the wild all cats go for the throat and eat from neck down mostly
    In this case the back end was eatin more so shows signs of canine attack like wolves and such all eat prey alive and start from the back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Its circus season, was there any circus near by, would be a good place to start.
    Could of been one of the lion handlers taking them out for a late night snack.
    Also is'nt there a badger cull going on, it could be some badgers geting there own back.:P

Could be an escaped or breeding bigcat. We would need to see how it was killed to be sure.
    I wouldn't think cat
    In this case the back end was eatin more so shows signs of canine attack like wolves and such all eat prey alive and start from the back

We dont know how the animal died in fairness the animals were thrown away before inspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

In February of 1996 ,police marksmen shot dead an African caracal lynx (looks a bit like a puma), prowling close to sheep in Fintona Co. Tyrone. It was wearing a black collar and was thought to be an escaped pet. It had been seen twice two days earlier, when it was thought to be a "lion cub".

At the time the Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 did not apply in Northern Ireland and in theory,in 1996 anyone could keep a tiger in their back garden without a licence which you would have needed for your dog.

210 wrote: »
    In February of 1996 ,police marksmen shot dead an African caracal lynx (looks a bit like a puma), prowling close to sheep in Fintona Co. Tyrone. It was wearing a black collar and was thought to be an escaped pet. It had been seen twice two days earlier, when it was thought to be a "lion cub".

At the time the Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 did not apply in Northern Ireland and in theory,in 1996 anyone could keep a tiger in their back garden without a licence which you would have needed for your dog.

A puma was also shot dead in England. People put this in with the loch ness monster but these cases have been confirmed. Although I havent heard of the first case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

shortcut to a photo of the fintona puma (dec).

http://scotcats.online.fr/abc/photoalbum/fintona.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mum-eaten-alive-by-wild-dogs-963636
    WILD dogs gnawed a Scots woman's legs to the bone as they ate her alive. Margaret Ann Gordon was attacked as she walked her pet alsatian Storm near her home in Bulgaria. They ripped chunks of flesh from her stomach, arms and legs and savaged her face and throat.

Two of the pack were caught and sedated after Tuesday's attack. Prosecutors were deciding their fate

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Most likely a ManBearPig

Definitely , they laughed the last time.... but its back.

Beware the ManBearPig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It was Henry Sellers, he escaped from the Parochial House and caused all sorts of mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I wouldn't think cat

Not true.

The cougar (four legged version :P) for example generally eats from the stomach area or the hind quarters after it kills large prey. They have been recorded as having brought down domestic cattle in America by hitting into the cattle with force from the side or onto the cow's back, and they can knock a cow onto it's side by doing so. They then can kill by breaking the cow's neck if the cow still has fight left in it.

If another animal killed the calves, then a large powerful solitary hunter that relies on stealth makes more sense than a pack of large dogs that would draw attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Kess73 wrote: »

If another animal killed the calves, then a large powerful solitary hunter that relies on stealth makes more sense .

:eek: The fella?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Two chupacabras on a tandem could inflict that damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

I read recently that 95% of all known shark attacks occur in water.

Those poor calves may have just wandered into the 5%.

If I was a Donegal farmer I'd definitely moove the rest of the herd indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Archeron wrote: »
    Two chupacabras on a tandem could inflict that damage.
    :D:D I reckon it was that Black cat that was prowling around Newbliss a while back. It probably got fed up with the lean pickings there and headed off. That or the "fordigners" have run out of Swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not true.

The cougar (four legged version :P) for example generally eats from the stomach area or the hind quarters after it kills large prey. They have been recorded as having brought down domestic cattle in America by hitting into the cattle with force from the side or onto the cow's back, and they can knock a cow onto it's side by doing so. They then can kill by breaking the cow's neck if the cow still has fight left in it.

If another animal killed the calves, then a large powerful solitary hunter that relies on stealth makes more sense than a pack of large dogs that would draw attention.

Why would a cat attack two animals though? I think it's much more likely that the calves died accidentally, maybe from being hit by car or in a fall, and were then subject to predation by scavengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Is it possible that the udder cows did not like them and created a scene to draw the attention away from them selves,

there was a similar story reported in Americmoo, the collective were found guilty and sent to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭TheCatsMeow

Not true.

Watched a documentary on Terry Thompson the guy in Ohio who let all his lions, tigers and other animals loose. I think it was the zoo vet who was called to the scene that said the tiger who started to eat Terry went for the softest tissue first - which was the penis then the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Watched a documentary on Terry Thompson the guy in Ohio who let all his lions, tigers and other animals loose. I think it was the zoo vet who was called to the scene that said the tiger who started to eat Terry went for the softest tissue first - which was the penis then the stomach.

The penis was the softest part:D?

kylith wrote: »
    Not true.

Why would a cat attack two animals though? I think it's much more likely that the calves died accidentally, maybe from being hit by car or in a fall, and were then subject to predation by scavengers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S09BMF7wMPE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Two wildebeest taken by. Leopard
    If the food is abundant they'll take as much As they want

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    No, a one-year-old calf is still pretty big, a rottweiler isn't nearly big enough to do the damage described.
    Sindri wrote: »
    Only dog I can think of that could break those ribs itself would be a mastiff. They have the strongest bite of all canines
    Not quite, or it's up in the air. Among common breeds the aforementioned rottweiler would have the strongest bite at over 300 LBs in old money(the Pitbull is not that much to write home about funny enough. Some labs can outbite them). That's domestic dogs, wild canids run higher again. A high content wolf hybrid went walkabout in the the north a few years ago and a pure wolf can hit 700 lbs in a defensive bite, likely higher in an offensive bite. Theodore Roosevelt in his frontier memoirs recounted where he witnessed a mid sized great plains wolf(which aren't particularly large for wolves) take on and dispatch two bred for fighting bull mastiffs in short order.

Personally I'd reckon a couple of dogs working as a team could do it. Doesn't need a pack or any of that. Farmers will tell you that "sheep worrying" can include two or three dogs. Dogs like humans are among the few predators that will routinely attack and take down prey larger and stronger, sometimes much larger and stronger than themselves. As for the ribs? I've fed raw bones to all the dogs in my life and I had a german shepherd that loved rib offcuts and would go through them in a couple of minutes. I had a Norwegian Elkhound whose fave thing was a full sheeps head. He'd gnaw through that in under an hour and only spit out the teeth. The skull is about the strongest "bone" in the body and it didn't seem to phase him too much.

Cats tend to go for the throat and clamp down on the windpipe to kill the aimal quickly when dealing with larger animals than themselves and they're generally more reluctant to try bigger in the first place. Good sense on the part of kitty. As generally solitary animals they're more in trouble if damaged while hunting. Dogs tend to go for the haunches and hamstrings and soft parts, to bleed out and weaken the animal. Bite... retreat... harry... bite... wear down... then in for the kill. More likely to get a kick, but the safety and support of the pack makes this a calculated risk. They're less likely to starve. Dog kills, bot domestic and wild are not quick in general. Much more savage and longwinded. They'll start to feed on the viscera whie the prey animal is still alive. Youtube wolf hunts etc. Cats are more clinical and quick. Given a choice between a puma and a bunch of dogs I'll take the puma Carol.

TL;DR? What do the reports show? rear end damage. An animal hitting the soft bleedable areas. That'll be Fido, a well fed one that was only in it for the instinctive sport. People are generally OK, even admiring of the domestic moggie hunting mice etc, but think oul Rex the aller is a big softy. He/She may be with you and the family, but...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Can we rule out bovine suicide?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally Posted by kraggy View Post
    Thats bs frankly.
    Rites

Sacrificial or Last ?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

It seems clear that the cows jumped over the moon and the fall from 380000km caused the mutilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite, or it's up in the air. Among common breeds the aforementioned rottweiler would have the strongest bite at over 300 LBs in old money(the Pitbull is not that much to write home about funny enough. Some labs can outbite them). That's domestic dogs, wild canids run higher again. A high content wolf hybrid went walkabout in the the north a few years ago and a pure wolf can hit 700 lbs in a defensive bite, likely higher in an offensive bite. Theodore Roosevelt in his frontier memoirs recounted where he witnessed a mid sized great plains wolf(which aren't particularly large for wolves) take on and dispatch two bred for fighting bull mastiffs in short order.

Personally I'd reckon a couple of dogs working as a team could do it. Doesn't need a pack or any of that. Farmers will tell you that "sheep worrying" can include two or three dogs. Dogs like humans are among the few predators that will routinely attack and take down prey larger and stronger, sometimes much larger and stronger than themselves. As for the ribs? I've fed raw bones to all the dogs in my life and I had a german shepherd that loved rib offcuts and would go through them in a couple of minutes. I had a Norwegian Elkhound whose fave thing was a full sheeps head. He'd gnaw through that in under an hour and only spit out the teeth. The skull is about the strongest "bone" in the body and it didn't seem to phase him too much.

Cats tend to go for the throat and clamp down on the windpipe to kill the aimal quickly when dealing with larger animals than themselves and they're generally more reluctant to try bigger in the first place. Good sense on the part of kitty. As generally solitary animals they're more in trouble if damaged while hunting. Dogs tend to go for the haunches and hamstrings and soft parts, to bleed out and weaken the animal. Bite... retreat... harry... bite... wear down... then in for the kill. More likely to get a kick, but the safety and support of the pack makes this a calculated risk. They're less likely to starve. Dog kills, bot domestic and wild are not quick in general. Much more savage and longwinded. They'll start to feed on the viscera whie the prey animal is still alive. Youtube wolf hunts etc. Cats are more clinical and quick. Given a choice between a puma and a bunch of dogs I'll take the puma Carol.

TL;DR? What do the reports show? rear end damage. An animal hitting the soft bleedable areas. That'll be Fido, a well fed one that was only in it for the instinctive sport. People are generally OK, even admiring of the domestic moggie hunting mice etc, but think oul Rex the aller is a big softy. He/She may be with you and the family, but...
    Great post Wibbs, I've a staff, an alsation and a rottie and the alsation can snap a bone in one bite that the staff will gnaw at for hours with no effect. The Rott is a big soft messer, but I would not like a bite off him as I've seen what he can do to a big beef bone. My moneys on fido as well, fido and a fair bit of "blarney". Like they say, a mouse crossed a bridge and was an elephant when he got to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jimmy has the lads training early for 2013. One of the players was told to eat 4 dinners a day to bulk up, amazing how urban or even rural legends take on a life of their own.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Could it be ....people ....a car?? Then they mutilated them?

It seems to me a vehicle collesion is th most likely scenario....maybe after that scavengers further damaged the corpse?

Advertisement