Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Damages & Expenses

• 29-09-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I had a car accident last year which is going to court due to long term injuries.Long story short, I want to include car depreciation in my list of special damages as my car is now worth less when I go to resell as it was crashed. The repairs were €2000. I need the garage where I bought the car to provide a letter saying the car is worth "x" amount less since it was damage.The garage is faffing about trying to say they don't understand what I'm looking for.

Is the really such an unusual request???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Are you claiming the cost of repairs aswell, or was that a seperate claim for material damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mmm76

No the other sides insurance co paid for the repairs but not the personal injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My understanding is that unless the car you were driving is 3 years old or less or is a particularly expensive model 9 (e.g. Ferrari) then a depreciation claim will not be entertained.
    If you were driving for example a 6 year old Almera or Punto I would say stop wasting your time.

Ok, Its a 3yrs old sportage.Prob am wasting my time as the garage are clueless as to what car is worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

mmm76 wrote: »
    No the other sides insurance co paid for the repairs but not the personal injuries

I'm not sure then you can claim loss of car value under the PIS. But as they say no harm in asking.

• Advertisement

Well the solicitor said if I can get the garage to put down loss of value on paper then she can submit it but like Delancey said,I think it a waste of time.The garage don't wan to know.
    Thanks for all advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Wouldn't the other side be able to come along and say to the op "prove you were going to sell the car last year. Unless it was advertised for sale at the time of the accident i'd imagine they'd tell you to sling your hook.

Yeah you're totally right Ken. Think I will forget about that part of the claim.Its more hassle than its worth.ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In fairness to the garage it is not their function to value cars for court actions.

You would need to get a valuation from a motor assessor. Usually about 10% of PAV is claimed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If you push, you will typically get about 10% of the value of the repair as a depreciation payment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement