Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the old sea area forecast

Options
  • 29-09-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the OLD sea area forecast? It used to be delivered in a completely monotonous tone. Now it's chatty. What happened the old one? Why did they change it? Sad...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'Dogger, Fisher, German Bight' intoned lugubriously. I wonder who named them? http://www.cambraicovers.com/UK_Sea_Areas.htm. Definitely a blast from the past (when we listed to radio by default, no television/computer distractions).

The other one was the football results, the Saturday evening silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I first heard the sea area forecast while waiting for the top twenty to start on Radio 2 on a Sunday evening.

Or as Seamus Heaney says:

"Dogger, Rockall, Malin, Irish Sea:Green, swift upsurges, North Atlantic flux
    Conjured by that strong gale-warming voice,Collapse into a sibilant penumbra."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When anyone mentions the old sea area forecast it bring me back to driving home late at night I always found it comforting.

When my husband first came here from Wales the livestock prices on the radio use to amuse him greatly with its review of the prices of doubled punched heifers and fat pigs!

What really used to get on my nerves was Sunday dinner (at lunchtime of course) to the company of someone enthusing about 'its a quare name but great stuff' and rather more detail than I wanted about scour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I remember the sea forecasts all right. But the football scores, that was great fun. My dad used to take the scores down, always in pencil onto the form in the newspaper. Remember those blank lists for the scores in the newspaper? When the reader hesitated before saying the score, I used to try to predict it, sometimes right, sometimes wrong. I used to say the teams as he was saying them. Ah nostalgia! I love it. Beats thinking about what's outside the front door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

looksee wrote: »
    'Dogger, Fisher, German Bight' intoned lugubriously. I wonder who named them? http://www.cambraicovers.com/UK_Sea_Areas.htm. Definitely a blast from the past (when we listed to radio by default, no television/computer distractions).

The other one was the football results, the Saturday evening silence!

Huh? "Slyne Head to Malin Head, two thousand and eighty millibars, rising slowly. Fair Head to Clogher Head, one thousand and twenty five millibars, steady. Slea Head to Mizen Head to Carnsore Point, winds north-northwesterly, one thousand and eighty millibars, falling slowly." This was the Irish version!

But yes all delivered in a very monotonous voice.

Nowadays tis all given in a very chatty manner. :-(

What really used to get on my nerves was Sunday dinner (at lunchtime of course) to the company of someone enthusing about 'its a quare name but great stuff' and rather more detail than I wanted about scour.

I never knew what all those agricultural diseases were, but omg the pictures of the parasites in close-up! And totally morto at the ads for AI in the mornings, when my father drove me to school. (Once I realised what AI was....ah the innocence before I knew!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

looksee wrote: »
    Do you remember the name of the quare stuff?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

aujopimur wrote: »
    Do you remember the name of the quare stuff?.

Cheno Unction :D

Thanks Chucken, after hearing it so many times - I had forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I remember the sound of the old forecast on the radio. It was somehow warming to the heart and comforting. It showed things were going on as usual, despite what happened in the wider world.

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    I remember the sound of the old forecast on the radio. It was somehow warming to the heart and comforting. It showed things were going on as usual, despite what happened in the wider world.

"warming to the heart and comforting"
    Not unfortunately for the 'ould seadogs that were being tossed hither and yon on the old briney during dem 'ould sea storms, though!

Well no of course not. what I meant was for a young'un like meself (I was young once) it was being safe at home and dreaming of adventures on the briney. I was a great sea captain once you know, fighting off the pirates and routing the wreckers, home made cutlass made from cardboard.

Well no of course not. what I meant was for a young'un like meself (I was young once) it was being safe at home and dreaming of adventures on the briney. I was a great sea captain once you know, fighting off the pirates and routing the wreckers, home made cutlass made from cardboard.

I misread that bit and thought it was 'home made cutlass made from custard'!!:D

You know what Jellybaby, that sounds incredibly nice. MMMMMMMMMM

Custard Cutlass, or Blanc-mange Bazooka. A taste bomb in your mouth..

(Much better than Chucken's Sailor's Sock Soup. :p :pac: )

Cutlass Custard - much better! ;)

This week I am going to try a 'normal' soup. I bought a butternut squash and dunno what to do wiv it so am on the hunt for a good ressypee!

Mod: Er, lads, sorry to give out, but do you think we could keep creative culinary exploits to the Waiting Room discussions? To new people wandering into the thread it looks a bit clique-y to have apparently obscure and irrelevant stuff coming up. Thanks a lot.

Sincere Apologies

Sincere Apologies

Ditto! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Me too.

Advertisement