Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Lanterns

Options
  • 29-09-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anybody know where I can get some cheap sky lanterns asap in Galway city?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

euro2 usually have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mike folan

I tried there but no luck. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

mr price headford road next to the pillo hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

swiftman wrote: »
    mr price headford road next to the pillo hotel
    I saw some last week in the Eyre Square centre where Options used to be; think it's called k+t's pound shop near Subcity?

Was in Mr Price yesterday and didn't see any. Will have to try K+Ts.
    Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

If your launching them near the bay, maybe drop the lifeboat station a call (contact) and let them know. Might save them and yourself alot of hassle.

Not launching them mate. Just around the house for decoration as the weekend just gone was mid-autumn festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coastguard said on RTE recently if anyone is launching Lanterns to call them and tell them the time and location, people are calling them saying they see red flares and they in turn call the LIfeboat/Helicopter. The station for Galway Coastguard is Valentiua contact

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Mike folan wrote: »
    Not launching them mate. Just around the house for decoration as the weekend just gone was mid-autumn festival.

No bother, hope you got sorted Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Mike folan wrote: »

Hmm, you do know the Chinese lanterns are quite floppy and it usually takes 2 or 3 people to launch them well? They usually have No inner support structure for height. I'm not sure how you'd planned to hang them for decoration?
    White paper waxed bags with sand and tea lights are good for external decoration.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

inisboffin wrote: »
    Hmm, you do know the Chinese lanterns are quite floppy and it usually takes 2 or 3 people to launch them well? They usually have No inner support structure for height. I'm not sure how you'd planned to hang them for decoration?
    White paper waxed bags with sand and tea lights are good for external decoration.

I've never needed more than myself to launch one.

As for hanging, I'd guess he'd hold it from the top until it filled and then let it suspend itself with it's hot air while tieing it down.

Would look nice in a garden at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've never needed more than myself to launch one.

As for hanging, I'd guess he'd hold it from the top until it filled and then let it suspend itself with it's hot air while tieing it down.

Would look nice in a garden at night time.

Full disclosure, the last couple of launches have involved 'a drink' and strong winds!

I only mention it because someone I know tried them for decoration with four of them and not much success. Tying it from the bottom, like you mention worked for the fourth one, worked, best, she had tried tying them first from the top.

They didn't last very long as the wind was a factor, one blew into itself and caught fire immediately. She also had those bags with the tea lights and they lasted the entire party.

Thanks for all the replies. Will keep all this in mind if I plan to use them in the future. Ended up with just using the wax bags.

Thanks again guys.

Advertisement