Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year 2012 higher level maths already behind I think.

• 29-09-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

There's probably another thread on something like this... it's just well a month into it and the teacher keeps complaining that we are really behind but everyone would prefer an extra few weeks on them. We have logs, indices, errors, natural number stuff so basically chapter 1,5 and 7....How far have other schools gone 'cus if we are behind I've to start grinds to keep up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

There's probably another thread on something like this... it's just well a month into it and the teacher keeps complaining that we are really behind but everyone would prefer an extra few weeks on them. We have logs, indices, errors, natural number stuff so basically chapter 1,5 and 7....How far have other schools gone 'cus if we are behind I've to start grinds to keep up.

I'm in 6th year and we have completed the following sections: probability, statistics, algebra, complex numbers, differential calculus, trigonometry, co ordinate geometry (the line and the circle)...and even though we didn't do the chapter on logarithms, and indices we kind of just learnt the rules as we went along. I think thats everything we have covered.

Just realized there, you're only in 5th year! You're grand for the moment. In the first month of 5th year, we only had probability and a bit of stats done. Relax! You're teacher is just over reacting. Re-post this qs in a few months and then you'll know if you're behind or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

What book do you use?
    We use active maths 4, and we've only covered chapter 2, we're starting chapter 3 on monday :O I think we must be miles behind other schools. Mainly because my class is composed of idiots, who are constantly messing.. in HONOURS maths like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    What book do you use?
    We use active maths 4, and we've only covered chapter 2, we're starting chapter 3 on monday :O I think we must be miles behind other schools. Mainly because my class is composed of idiots, who are constantly messing.. in HONOURS maths like?

Nah, you're grand I think. We've the same book and we've done chapter 2 and over half of chapter 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Nah, you're grand I think. We've the same book and we've done chapter 2 and over half of chapter 3.

Ah thats a relief, the other honours maths class has about that done I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I'm using Active Maths 4, and we're almost done Chapter 3 (ie, Algebra II).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

What book do you use?
    I have the same book and we only have chapter two done aswell :P we're starting chapter one next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Dont panic, The amount of people that drop out of honors maths is unreal and the messers will leave soon enough. What happens is that everyone who did honors maths for the junior cert will attempt honors maths for the leaving for a few months. The class will gradually get smaller and smaller because most people are unable for honors maths and these people hold up the class. There was 120 roughly in my year in school. There was two honors maths classes with approx 25 in each so roughly 50 altogether. By sixth year there was only 12 out of the 120 doing honors maths and the teacher was able fly through things. Dont panic and buy less stress more success books for maths. Excellent books. If people refuse to drop down, not doing homework failing tests etc, there parents will be brought in and teacher will insist they switch to pass maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

I use New Concise Project Maths, and we just finished Ch.1&2, (Algebra and Cubic/Quadratic Equations) and now we're moving on to Ch.3, Simulateous Eqns, I feel my teachers moving pretty fast though, we dont spend more than a day per topic, and don't correct homework in class :L

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nailvarnish16

What book do you use?

I use the same as you, he said he is going by the syllabus and it says the days recommended but totally implausible. At least other schools aren't that far :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I use Text and Tests and we covered Probability 1 (is there 2?) and halfway through Algebra 1. We're a little bit behind I'd say. You're grand :eek:

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I use Text and Tests and we covered Probability 1 (is there 2?) and halfway through Algebra 1. We're a little bit behind I'd say. You're grand :eek:

Yup, there is Probability 1 and Probability 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

Does anyone else who uses active maths 4 book think its proper useless?!:D I hate it with a passion and think its so craaaaap -.-

We're only on chapter 3 now and my teacher never explains anything.. He's always like 'you done this in first year. (When we learn something new) and if you have problems with this then you shouldn't be here right now' -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

sara16 wrote: »
    Does anyone else who uses active maths 4 book think its proper useless?!:D I hate it with a passion and think its so craaaaap -.-

We're only on chapter 3 now and my teacher never explains anything.. He's always like 'you done this in first year. (When we learn something new) and if you have problems with this then you shouldn't be here right now' -.-
    Your teacher is like "Ah I do syllabus even if it kills me" and they are always pressuring you in 5th year. If I were you I'd get a grind to keep you on track.

I have the utmost confidence in my teacher so thankfully I won't be worrying about falling behind, etc.

Sometimes I feel like he doesn't even know what he's teaching.. Or when we correct the homework like he doesn't have it written out just gets the answers from the back of the book :D

Our class is getting split up into 2 next week so hopefully ill be able to go into the second one and actually get a proper teacher.. If not I'm just gonna go into ordinary..

I'm pretty sure grinds won't help me cuz me and maths is just a no no;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sometimes I feel like he doesn't even know what he's teaching.. Or when we correct the homework like he doesn't have it written out just gets the answers from the back of the book :D

Our class is getting split up into 2 next week so hopefully ill be able to go into the second one and actually get a proper teacher.. If not I'm just gonna go into ordinary..

I'm pretty sure grinds won't help me cuz me and maths is just a no no;)
    Don't just give up on HL Maths like that :eek:
    Hopefully you'll get into the other class.
    If he's really a horrible teacher, you can talk to your principal about it. Usually if enough students have the same problem they will sort something out

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Don't just give up on HL Maths like that :eek:
    Hopefully you'll get into the other class.
    If he's really a horrible teacher, you can talk to your principal about it. Usually if enough students have the same problem they will sort something out

See I was struggling in HL in JC.. Have no idea how I managed to actually get a B when I couldn't do any questions :D
    And like we all hate him and we all say how crap he is but then again no one will say it out loud cuz he's our year head so were stuck with him for the next 2 years so you know :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Don't worry the numbers in your class will drop in your class, especially after Christmas. Its normal to be behind at the start of 5th year. It was like that for my class last year but we caught up. Project maths is a load of ****e anyway

I can see myself being in that part of class dropping down:D and totally agree.. I hate project maths already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

There's probably another thread on something like this... it's just well a month into it and the teacher keeps complaining that we are really behind but everyone would prefer an extra few weeks on them. We have logs
    , indices, errors, natural number stuff so basically chapter 1,5 and 7....How far have other schools gone 'cus if we are behind I've to start grinds to keep up.
    I think we had only done all of algebra (3 chapters) and real numbers by Christmas last year but I may be wrong. There's a lot to do in 2 years, we still have 2 chapters from book 1 and almost the whole of book 2 to do (just started trigonometry).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 nailvarnish16

My teacher says the exact same thing!!! after the last exam he keeps saying ask questions then you do and he stares at you and saying like i did this with my first years today. I asked a question once, never again. Now I just ask the guy with aspergers (sorry i probably have the spelling wrong) who knows all.

Advertisement