Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Dublin to Ennis(where to eat along the way)

• 29-09-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Where would you recommend stopping to eat along the way? Matt the treshers gets a lot of bad reviews on trip advisor.

Thanks,
    -B

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nowhere. It's under 2 hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Nowhere. It's under 2 hours drive.

Right because the question was do I need to stop to eat on a drive between Dublin and Ennis.

Collecting friend directly from work and they havent eat eaten since 1pm so wanted to stop off somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Briando wrote: »
    ... Where would you recommend stopping to eat along the way? Matt the treshers gets a lot of bad reviews on trip advisor. ...
    Does not compute :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Briando wrote: »
    ... Matt the treshers gets a lot of bad reviews on trip advisor...
    This computes and trip advisor's reviews are generous. The Goosers in Ballina for grub and cross into Killaloe to travel the scenic route to Ennis - just follow the signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you MUST stop(although you won't starve) then how about An Poitin Stil just outside Dublin on the N7 just past Avoca(500mtrs on the D/C)

Other than that you are leaving the Motorway for small bogger towns or at the 2 Motorway Service Areas at Mayfield and Portlaoise(Supermacs and O'Briens amongst other things).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

PLace in portlaoise supposed to be really good. I can't recall the name of it though, sorry..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If you MUST stop(although you won't starve) then how about An Poitin Stil just outside Dublin on the N7 just past Avoca(500mtrs on the D/C)

Other than that you are leaving the Motorway for small bogger towns or at the 2 Motorway Service Areas at Mayfield and Portlaoise(Supermacs and O'Briens amongst other things).

Now what the **** did calling them 'bogger towns' achieve? :confused: The likes of Roscrea etc, while bereft of Michelin star restaurants, have plenty enough places in them to fill the belly of a hungry motorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seachto7 wrote: »
    PLace in portlaoise supposed to be really good. I can't recall the name of it though, sorry..........

That's the mid-way food court. It has a Subway, an O'Briens (which through some weird temporal paradox, will always be "just closing" as you arrive), pizza place, a burger joint and an overpriced buffet type place with rice dishes.

The Kildare village just off the M7 Kildare junction has a Starbucks, an Italian restaurant (that's overpriced and usually unpleasantly busy with slow service although the take out pizza slices and take out coffee are pretty decent) and a nice crepes stand.

Just after the Kildare village, there's Supermacs off junction 14. Don't know anything about what lies after Portlaoise as I don't normally travel the Portlaoise to Limerick section although I do know there's a MacDonalds at Roscrea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think they were thinking of 'The Kitchen and Food Hall' in Portlaoise. It's closed down, sadly. Their lunch menu was delicious.

OP there is also the Country Kitchen on Kenyon Street in Nenagh. Worth the diversion.

Matt the Threshers is over-rated and pricey. If you'd like that kind of pub-style food, Finnegan's at exit 28 at Annacotty in Limerick do good, honest food, enormous portions and very reasonable.

And as someone has said, Goosers' in Ballina/Killaloe is only a short diversion at Birdhill. Good food, cosy atmosphere and a very pretty view.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lmkman

Tynans at the stoneyard is nice. Its about 5 minutes from the portlaoise exit. Newly opened resturant. Bit off the beaten track but well worth the visit. It's the same crowd that owned Jims kitchen in portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Is Tracey's out side portlaoise still there? Used get a decent steak there many moons ago.

I would also +1 on finnegans, just off he motorway and decent grub. That or empty pockets in coonagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

seachto7 wrote: »

Yep it's not bad. exit at junction 14, it's only a couple of hundred meters off the motorway, it's a supermacs which I've used and another place, shop / food, hot food looks ok, all in the one building, petrol there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yep it's not bad. exit at junction 14, it's only a couple of hundred meters off the motorway, it's a supermacs which I've used and another place, shop / food, hot food looks ok, all in the one building, petrol there also.

Nope you have two places mixed up. One is called Midway which is in Portlaoise, Mayfield is closer to Kildare which is the place you're thinking of.

@deccurley BOGGER BOGGER BOGGER TOWN. Bypassed for a reason. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Tracy's in portlaoise it's near the Heath just off the motorway , or finnigans in limerick just off the castletroy roundabout are very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I'd recommend finnegans also, only a minute off the motorway.
    Anytime I've been going onto clare I'd stop there, menu is basic enough though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

That's the one I was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Browns barn exit 3 leaving Dublin. Nice quiet relaxing place with good food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Stark wrote: »
    That's the mid-way food court. It has a Subway, an O'Briens (which through some weird temporal paradox, will always be "just closing" as you arrive), pizza place, a burger joint and an overpriced buffet type place with rice dishes.

Nope, this is a place in the town itself. Supposed to have a really good feed. It's pub grub as far as I know, or a small hotel possibly. Name escapes me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Near Limerick you could try the Creamery in Bunratty or Finnegans at Annacotty.

After that I'd recommend Mayfield off at Junction 14, aka Junction14, you could also try Kildare Village at Junction13.

On the N7 nearer Dublin you could try the Poitin Stil in Rathcoole or Browne's Barn at Junction 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

bring some sandwiches in tinfoil a few buttered buscuits and a bottle of orange

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've done this trip loads of times (I'd be guessing over a hundred) and I would be hard pressed to stop anywhere on the road, it's a great road and once you're on it you'll make great time, 2 hours from the Red Cow to Ennis, if it was me I would get munchies in a petrol station or something on the way and have a nice meal in comfort when you arrive. Most towns are by-passed now so stopping will take you out of your way.

I also don't know what getting a place to eat on the way to Dublin to Ennis has to do with Limerick but I guess if you are looking for a place in Limerick the folks here can recommend, otherwise I'd guess the folks in the motoring forum could help out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Best place in Limerick just off the motorway bar none in this respect is O Connells Pub in Newtown...

Best steak in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Seriously if anyone is travelling the Dublin to Limerick route get a steak at the Tipperary Inn in Toomevara. The place may not look great from the outside but WOW. I can only comment on the steak which is by far the nicest I've ever had but I'd say the rest of the menu is palatable. Anyone else ever been?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Why is this posted under "Limerick"?

Advertisement