Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL comparative help

• 29-09-2012 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

ok so im a 6th year student about to start my 3 comparatives (teacher has chosen 32a sive and circle of friends) i hate them all not only due to the fact the C.O.F has 700pages but going by their blurbs are so boring. I was thinking about going it alone and trying to do casblanca sive and how i live now and doing a theme around love through adversity. Am i foolish? if any one has any notes or essays on one or all of these i would be truly grateful. any advice on comp. grouping would also be lovely!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You haven't read them and you've decided you don't want to do them based on the length of one book and the blurbs?
    You're doing Higher Level?

Is your plan to sit in your classes, ignore what the teacher is saying and do your own thing? Sounds like a winner alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

Excuse me? Yes I am doing higher level and it's not the only one i'm doing.Our teacher has told us that we will have to read and write about the texts ourselves anyway so why should I not pick something that I might acually enjoy reading. The only reason I meantioned the length is because I am doing 7 other higher level subjects which means I cannot dedicate all of my time to reading a novel three times that of most of the texts. Seeing how the blurbs are the thing that is supposed to make you want to read the book, I think that's a pretty good way to make my mind up. Now if you don't have anything remotly useful to say kindly leave your 'answers' elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Circle of Friends is a great book, tbh. Would've liked to do it myself, very easy compared to other texts.

But yep, I really reckon it could be a big mistake not following the texts your teacher is covering. You're really just putting more work on yourself. Your teacher most likely chose them because they work well together. It's not like 700 pages is gonna take weeks to read.
    Noone can tell you what to do, it's not like someone's gong to sit in the exam with you and make sure you answer the texts studied in school. But if it all goes horribly wrong, the comparative question is awkward, you forget to cover some aspect or whatever, you're only to blame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

It should also be noted the whole book does not have to be read. Just the key moments. The beginning , a couple of key moments in the middle and the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

okay thanks for the opinions guys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could always skip the awful 'long' books and watch the film instead.

Reading is probably over-rated anyway. Shortcuts FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

gotta play the system in fairness, its different for the single text where you have to read everything, the comparative is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Now if you don't have anything remotly useful to say kindly leave your 'answers' elsewhere.
    A teacher of 20+ years experience might just have something remotely useful to say, whether you agree with them or not! :)

Now can we tone it back a bit all round, folks, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just a little something to add: I think A LOT of the Comparative can be learnt off. I know I learnt 2 essays off by heart and got 70/70 in the GV+V Q.2 this year (and an A1 overall).

A guy in the 2nd Honours class in my School decided to learn the notes our Teacher gave us instead of studying the prescribed texts his Teacher had set (which were in fairness, a tad hard): Wuthering Heights, Casablanca and Oedipus the King.

Anyway he learnt off our essays and got his A1 too. So, although it is possible, don't do it without having a detailed knowledge of the texts or really good notes! :pac:

Advertisement