Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*leaving cert 2013*

• 29-09-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey just wondering is it possible to actually repeat your leaving cert without actually enrolling in any school/college. Kinda like home schooling yourself and then completing the exams in June? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, but you need to register as an external student with the SEC by 5.pm on Thursday 31st January 2013 (aftert that a late fee applies). For some subjects you need a teacher to be able to sign off on project/practical/essay work, so you will have to have some contact with a school or centre.

See http://www.examinations.ie under Candidates/External Candidate Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Confused93

Thanks a million spurious.. This has helped me alot! Generally do external candidates do well? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't know if anyone has ever issued stats on it. The externals are a varied group containing everyone from people in their 70s who are sitting one subject, to peope in their 30s who may always have regretted not taking a particular subject and do so now, to customers of grinds businesses who sit their exams all over the place.

I am curretly waiting for rechecks, out in mid october. I should get an upgrade but just incase I need a plan B... and this suits me perfectly! I was afraid that mid october would be too late to enroll in a school and repeat but now I have this option also.. ;) Thank you.. :) If I repeat as an external candidate, in biology for example would I have to do all the experiments again under the supervision of a teacher? even though I completed them all last year? :)

Confused93 wrote: »
    I am curretly waiting for rechecks, out in mid october. I should get an upgrade but just incase I need a plan B... and this suits me perfectly! I was afraid that mid october would be too late to enroll in a school and repeat but now I have this option also.. ;) Thank you.. :) If I repeat as an external candidate, in biology for example would I have to do all the experiments again under the supervision of a teacher? even though I completed them all last year? :)

I don't know is the short answer, sorry.
    Your old teacher should be able to tell you. Since they were part of the course work rather than an assessment component, I suspect that having done them once would be enough, but double check that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Confused93 wrote: »

You dont once you have them all written up:)

Thanks a million for all the replies... The advice has helped me alot thanks! :)

Advertisement