Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Baby whisperer

Options
  • 29-09-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I just started reading this book - just wondering what parts did you take out of it that were most useful? I find it a bit repetitive.

Do you follow the EASY method and if so how do you incorporate it in to you and your babies routine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think that book is mostly for reassurance. I tried the Eat Activity Sleep thing, but baby kept falling asleep on the boob/bottle, and when we started creche they did it the other way around as well... activity, eat, sleep. So we just slotted into creche routine.

The bits about watching the baby for cues is good. Eye rubbing for sleepy, legs up with wind pain... figuring out the difference between different cries.

Once you get into the swing of things, it all seems a bit obvious. I found it handy as a noob. Good pregnancy reading when you are freaking out. :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Like Pwurple says, her insight on baby's cues are quite good, and learning about the different cries/actions are helpful when you have a crying baby.

I got the impression from the book that she knows her stuff about bottle-fed babies, but much less so about breast-fed ones. Some of the breastfeeding advice in the book was in direct contradiction to what the lactation consultant in the hospital advised, and some of it I was scratching my head at it going "errr...whut?" So, I took that with a pinch of salt and stuck to what I learned from the consultant and from the boards thread.:)

As well as that, my baby never slept for 1.5 hrs on naps. I'm lucky if he sleeps 40mins. So, after a stressful few days of trying the EASY, we go with his routine instead, and both of us are happier. But I do try and be repetitive - its not a 3 hr, but more of a 2.5hr and I dont time the feeding/activity. Its usually wake, nappy change, actvity (different one after each nap) then a feed when its nearing 2.5hrs-3hrs since the last one. Then looking for his cues for tiredness.

I dont like this push that the older generation have towards a weeks old baby sleeping through the night as early as possible, and almost force-feeding them during the day to achieve this. I got a vibe of that off the book at times. My personal view is that their tummies are far too small to sustain them through the night without getting hungry. I've often gotten up during the night thirsty, needing the loo, so why is a baby any different? I dont force that, but then my baby only ever woke once a night anyway unless he had a pain or something.

Some of the things I think she was spot on about:

Being aware of over stimulation. We forget that everything is stimulating to a new baby they get excited by lampshades ffs :p so being aware of noisy/bright toys etc is helpful- when my guy gets tired, he gets cranky, and cue granny clapping/shaking a rattle /making noise which makes it worse. He responds better to being brought into a dark quiet room to wind down. I've brought him into the ensuite so its pitch-black when he is over-stimulated and upset and cuddled and shushed him to great effect. Its like a detox of stimulation for him.

Explaining what you are doing to the baby. I brought baby around the house to each room and explained what it was to him, then I explained things like "now we will change your nappy/ mamma is going to wash your face now etc" and whether its more that baby is learning my voice or the chat soothes him, it seemed to work for me.

I also had a habit of nursing to sleep which I needed to work on - he bawled when put in the cot awake: - and I dont believe in Cry-it-out or controlled crying. So I had a think about a wind-down routine which is starting to work very well - I bring him into the bedroom and lower the blinds, saying "bye-bye mr sunshine, X is going for a little sleep now" then I sit on the edge of the bed and hold him in the breastfeeding hold but using a soother instead of before when it was my breast, and I bounce gently on the bed to subsitute the rocking I used to do which is easier on the arms as he gets bigger. Then I try to put him into the cot almost but not quite asleep, and gradually he is taking the soother less and less, needing bouncing less and less and happier to go into the cot awake but sleepy with me stroking his cheek and patting his chest gently.

Where before I used to have to bounce a crying baby for 20 mins then put in the cot asleep, its now about one min of a cuddle/bounce then into the cot and another few mins stroking, patting him and he is off to sleep without a whimper :) Hopefully he will get to a stage where a quick cuddle, then into the cot happy to sleep.

I do think that you can take parts of the book and adjust it to fit to you and your child- thats what I did and it works far better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

used it for baby number one, on number 2 not so much just for a little help with scheduling and stuff and on baby no 3 i ignored it all, breastfed on demand, co-sleeping, holding when crying and baby led weaning. I would do it this way for all 3 if I had the chance to do it again.
    Her breastfeeding advice is rubbish, but she is a little better then gina ford, miles better then tizzie hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Neyite wrote: »
    Like Pwurple says, her insight on baby's cues are quite good, and learning about the different cries/actions are helpful when you have a crying baby.

I got the impression from the book that she knows her stuff about bottle-fed babies, but much less so about breast-fed ones. Some of the breastfeeding advice in the book was in direct contradiction to what the lactation consultant in the hospital advised, and some of it I was scratching my head at it going "errr...whut?" So, I took that with a pinch of salt and stuck to what I learned from the consultant and from the boards thread.:)

As well as that, my baby never slept for 1.5 hrs on naps. I'm lucky if he sleeps 40mins. So, after a stressful few days of trying the EASY, we go with his routine instead, and both of us are happier. But I do try and be repetitive - its not a 3 hr, but more of a 2.5hr and I dont time the feeding/activity. Its usually wake, nappy change, actvity (different one after each nap) then a feed when its nearing 2.5hrs-3hrs since the last one. Then looking for his cues for tiredness.

I dont like this push that the older generation have towards a weeks old baby sleeping through the night as early as possible, and almost force-feeding them during the day to achieve this. I got a vibe of that off the book at times. My personal view is that their tummies are far too small to sustain them through the night without getting hungry. I've often gotten up during the night thirsty, needing the loo, so why is a baby any different? I dont force that, but then my baby only ever woke once a night anyway unless he had a pain or something.

Some of the things I think she was spot on about:

Being aware of over stimulation. We forget that everything is stimulating to a new baby they get excited by lampshades ffs :p so being aware of noisy/bright toys etc is helpful- when my guy gets tired, he gets cranky, and cue granny clapping/shaking a rattle /making noise which makes it worse. He responds better to being brought into a dark quiet room to wind down. I've brought him into the ensuite so its pitch-black when he is over-stimulated and upset and cuddled and shushed him to great effect. Its like a detox of stimulation for him.

Explaining what you are doing to the baby. I brought baby around the house to each room and explained what it was to him, then I explained things like "now we will change your nappy/ mamma is going to wash your face now etc" and whether its more that baby is learning my voice or the chat soothes him, it seemed to work for me.

I also had a habit of nursing to sleep which I needed to work on - he bawled when put in the cot awake: - and I dont believe in Cry-it-out or controlled crying. So I had a think about a wind-down routine which is starting to work very well - I bring him into the bedroom and lower the blinds, saying "bye-bye mr sunshine, X is going for a little sleep now" then I sit on the edge of the bed and hold him in the breastfeeding hold but using a soother instead of before when it was my breast, and I bounce gently on the bed to subsitute the rocking I used to do which is easier on the arms as he gets bigger. Then I try to put him into the cot almost but not quite asleep, and gradually he is taking the soother less and less, needing bouncing less and less and happier to go into the cot awake but sleepy with me stroking his cheek and patting his chest gently.

Where before I used to have to bounce a crying baby for 20 mins then put in the cot asleep, its now about one min of a cuddle/bounce then into the cot and another few mins stroking, patting him and he is off to sleep without a whimper :) Hopefully he will get to a stage where a quick cuddle, then into the cot happy to sleep.

I do think that you can take parts of the book and adjust it to fit to you and your child- thats what I did and it works far better. ;)

Thank you all for the informative posts. We have got a 1 week old. He is very good during day time - getting fed every 4 hours and he sleeps most of time in his carry cot in the living room.

We have not started any activities yet - are there any you would recommend at this early stage?

He does get restless when we are going to bed - took about an hour to settle him last night and woke about 4 am for a feed. I would expect that to go with his 4 hour routine. If he settled at night time he would be the perfect baby! Any tips for settling him at night time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Babies this young can often have their days & nights mixed up. I found keeping night time dark & quiet & do v.little talking when giving a feed & daytime more lively talking to my son while feeding him etc. helped him figure out that when it's dark he sleeps & when it's bright he can be more active.
    Swaddling also helps some babies sleep better.
    Other than that there is v.little sleep training you can do with such a young baby, you just have to go with the flow & most will fall into a routine with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

lynski wrote: »
    used it for baby number one, on number 2 not so much just for a little help with scheduling and stuff and on baby no 3 i ignored it all, breastfed on demand, co-sleeping, holding when crying and baby led weaning. I would do it this way for all 3 if I had the chance to do it again.

This X10

Throw away the books and trust your instincts. The baby will let you know when it's tired, hungry or needs a change. And you, as a parent, will quickly figure out what works best for you and the baby.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

^^^

What they said! :) Forget about any previous bedtime you may have had - baby is boss now, and its really about you fitting in around their routine and not them fitting in what used to be yours. :D

By bringing them out to the kitchen/living room during the day then in the evening dimming the lights etc babies will get the hang of day/night a bit better. At only a week old they wont get stuck in any bad habit that young.

The activities start when they are a little bit older - by activity I mean, in the morning he get his playmat, after the next nap he gets a top and tail wash, any dry skin moisturised, nappy change, clothing change and he gets his bouncer and a different toy, or go into town or go for a walk, in the evening it might be reading a story, playing on the bed -sitting up, tummy time or tickle time, or a bath. (but your one is too young for some of those just yet) For yours, it could be a walk in the pram, reading a story, or pointing out family photos and explain who is who to them so they get used to your voice more, even a nappy /babygro change is a big activity at that young age.

Advertisement