Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Graph Help

Options
  • 29-09-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Anyone know where there's somewhere with all the constructions needed for the JC? I know they're in the book but they aren't laid out well and are spread through the chapters. Can't ask a question in class, or the teacher starts shouting so any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The book Understanding Technical Graphics explains all the constructions perfectly, and has the book laid out very well, easy to follow chapters.

What book do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Anyone know where there's somewhere with all the constructions needed for the JC? I know they're in the book but they aren't laid out well and are spread through the chapters. Can't ask a question in class, or the teacher starts shouting so any help would be great :)
    What is it with TG teachers and shouting? Mine was a terrible shouter. He also couldn't spell...

I'm sure if you throw up any questions you're stuck on we'll help. TBH you don't need too many IMHO. They tend to just come up in short questions, which you can always skip if you absolutely can't hack it.

I presume you mean stuff like "construct a hexagon of side 90mm" and that crack? I never really learned the fancy methods, just knew the interior and exterior angles for all of them.

Handy way:

360° ÷ Number of sides = exterior angle.

Hex for six
    Hept for seven (think of sept = seven in French)
    Oct = a hocht, eight
    Decagon - a deich , ten
    Dodecagon - dó deich- 2 and 10, twelve

I booking love Latin.

Isosceles - two sides are same, (180° - third unique angle) ÷ 2 = each of the other two angles. Also, the angles in any triangle opposite equal sides will be the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would imagine they are specified in the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

What is it with TG teachers and shouting? Mine was a terrible shouter. He also couldn't spell...

I'm sure if you throw up any questions you're stuck on we'll help. TBH you don't need too many IMHO. They tend to just come up in short questions, which you can always skip if you absolutely can't hack it.

I presume you mean stuff like "construct a hexagon of side 90mm" and that crack? I never really learned the fancy methods, just knew the interior and exterior angles for all of them.

Handy way:

360° ÷ Number of sides = exterior angle.

Hex for six
    Hept for seven (think of sept = seven in French)
    Oct = a hocht, eight
    Decagon - a deich , ten
    Dodecagon - dó deich- 2 and 10, twelve

I booking love Latin.

Isosceles - two sides are same, (180° - third unique angle) ÷ 2 = each of the other two angles. Also, the angles in any triangle opposite equal sides will be the same.

Haha thanks :D you've just taught me more than the tg teacher did in the past year... And I've heard it's a common thing with tg teachers and the shouting. Angry, angry people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

My TG teacher's lovely.. When he's not also shouting :D

I've Technical Graphics - 3rd Edition - EDCO - Denis O'Connor and I love it! It's so good! Has all the constructions laid (or is it layed?) out brilliantly and has some worked examples as well! Well worth the money! :') I'm here if you need any help through the year! Tbh, I think exam papers are key to Technical Graphics! The same stuff generally comes up every year, obviously not the exact same question, but the type of method needed! :)

Best of luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I'm a Tech Graph teacher.

The key is to follow the exam paper questions. The solutions are on www.examinations.ie I think the most important topic is Orthographic Projection. If you know the principles and method you will be off to a great start. Orthographic will come up on Q.1 and is also part of the development question (Q.4).

If you like the ellipse question, it is usually pretty straight forward. Setting up the question with the major and minor circles is probably the easiest and quickest method. PM if you're not sure what I mean. If you're doing HL, you will be asked.

That much is three of the four question that you have to do. I hope this much helps and if you have any questions send a PM.

And Finally...
    And I've heard it's a common thing with tg teachers and the shouting. Angry, angry people :p

We are not all angry....All of the time anyway!!!! :rolleyes:

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    My TG teacher's lovely.. When he's not also shouting :D

I've Technical Graphics - 3rd Edition - EDCO - Denis O'Connor and I love it! It's so good! Has all the constructions laid (or is it layed?) out brilliantly and has some worked examples as well! Well worth the money! :') I'm here if you need any help through the year! Tbh, I think exam papers are key to Technical Graphics! The same stuff generally comes up every year, obviously not the exact same question, but the type of method needed! :)

Best of luck! :D

Thank you! Will try and get that :D

I'm a Tech Graph teacher.

The key is to follow the exam paper questions. The solutions are on www.examinations.ie I think the most important topic is Orthographic Projection. If you know the principles and method you will be off to a great start. Orthographic will come up on Q.1 and is also part of the development question (Q.4).

If you like the ellipse question, it is usually pretty straight forward. Setting up the question with the major and minor circles is probably the easiest and quickest method. PM if you're not sure what I mean. If you're doing HL, you will be asked.

That much is three of the four question that you have to do. I hope this much helps and if you have any questions send a PM.

And Finally...
    And I've heard it's a common thing with tg teachers and the shouting. Angry, angry people :p

We are not all angry....All of the time anyway!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for your help! :) the solutions on examinations.ie are great :D and I'm sure not all tech graph teachers are like that, just my experience :)

Advertisement