Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing over the winter

Options
  • 29-09-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭

Now with summer well and thoroughly over is there anything I can sow in the ground over the winter. This summer I had good results from onions, beet root, lettuce, radishes and cabbage. Carrots were small but ok. Looking for something to put down that does not need to much looking after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Unless they are already sown it's pretty much too late for everything aside from onions and garlic. Here is some more info and a decent deal for a Garlic and Onion pack.
    Also youcould probably sow some Green Manures.
    Hope these links help some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

as above plus Broad Beans can go in towards end of Oct/early November

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

A couple of things which germinate arounds the 10C mark:

Peretual spinach : actually chard
    Lambs lettuce / corn salad: prefers the cold !
    Mother of thyme: you won't get to eat it until next year, but it does look lovely.
    Comfrey : not for eating, but used in compost and as a liquid fertilizer etc. will need to be kept indoors over winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

WINTER VEG
    Garlic
    Buy garlic for planting in October or early November.
    I often get asked how many one should plant, I figure, average house one bulb per week so say 50 cloves.

Onions and Leeks - Autumn onion sets can be planted now for fully ripe onions in June, Radar are particularly good.
    Now is also a good time to grow leeks - plant well apart so you can intercrop with faster growing winter greens Tatsoi/Pakchoi now.

Brassica's - Greens like Pakchoi and Tatsoi can be planted to give fresh greens to winter stir fries, great with loads of chilli, garlic and ginger - nice fresh flavours in winter without the food miles.

Certain turnips, swedes and radish will also grow slow and be ready early spring.
    Also winter radish from realseeds.co.uk, wierd German name I can never spell

Legumes For crop rotation some legumes are also good. I like to buy from seedaholics but there are other fine seed houses in Ireland.
    Broad beans like Aquadulce, Aquadulce Claudia and Imperial Green Longpod towards the end of the month.
    Peas Round seeded peas can be grown from October/November sowings. An organic variety is the Douce Provence. Other varieties include Feltham First, Meteor or Pilot (probably the hardiest of all varieties).

Advertisement