Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving family to Canada

Options
  • 29-09-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if there is already a thread for this but I couldn't find it. I worked in Canada for about 9 months in 2011, on the IEC programme. I had worked abroad in several different countries and went alone to Canada. I had already got a job sorted there before I went (between Calgary and Banff) which made settling down a bit easier. I had studied in Scotland before I left for Canada and returned here in Sept 2011 for my final year of study.

I am living and working in Scotland now, and can't see myself going back home to Ireland any time in the near future. I miss Canada, as it was easily the best nine months of my life (not sure if that is rose tinted glasses) but I am considering moving out there again in the next couple of years. My girlfriend and I are due our first baby in December, so obviously the plan would be to get out there before the child started school and had to move away from friends etc. I know its a big step, especially with a child involved, but I think the quality of living is so much better there compared to here and if I could get everything sorted I think I would go in the morning.

I have been told by some friends that I should apply for a Temporary Residency Visa. I am not sure I am eligible for this, (i have a Higher Diploma in Golf Course Management but I don't think this is listed as a skilled job in Canada). I am wondering if anybody has done this, i.e. moved out with a young family. My girlfriend is a Care Assistant, which again I don't think this is considered a skilled job. Given our occupations, is moving out full time just a pipe dream? I have quite a few contacts out there and reckon I could get a job sorted easily enough, but I am not sure how we would be fixed with regard to moving out with a child.

Any help or feedback from anybody who has done this, or anyone who has any knowledge of the visa process, would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement