Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear Power

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Isnt sellafield suppose to have been responsible for alot of nuclear waste in the Irish Sea? Thats another plant that has very questionable health and safety issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I would be in favour of nuclear power research for nuclear fusion power but fission is old news and when we're all dead and buried way too much hassle for future generations.

The fact that we don't focus on renewable energies like hydroelectric and geothermal especially is beyond me. When you think that fission is basically a big radioactive fire heating some water. If we focused our engineering talents on drilling two big holes a couple miles down(depending on where) pumping water down and sticking a couple generators on both sides we would have a great source of energy.

And yes I know its not as easy as that but it seem we would prefer to do it the lazy way instead of sorting out a cheap and sustainable way of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No point of even dreaming of nuclear energy in Ireland, its never going to happen.

If Japan, one of the most sophisticated industrial nations on the face of this planet are unable to get their act together after a major nuclear catastrophe what hope in hell have we got.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Malware is inexcusable given what happened to the Iranian power plants a while back.
    But the lack of backups is just :eek:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/16/us_power_plant_malware/
    Two US power stations were infected by malware in the last quarter of 2012

The first case emerged after a maintenance engineer noticed the thumb drive he used to back up control system settings had become unreliable. The worker then referred the matter to the IT department, which found three infections on the gadget.

Investigators found sophisticated although unspecified malware on two engineering workstations associated with running critical applications. The subsequent cleanup operation was complicated by a lack of backups.

The second infection was blamed on a third-party contractor who unwittingly poisoned systems at a power generation utility after plugging in an infected USB drive at work. A "crimeware" virus got into a turbine control system and hit approximately 10 computers on its network. The subsequent cleanup delayed a plant restart operation by about three weeks, the report said.

Also

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/17/belgium-island-idUSL6N0AM7GU20130117
    Belgium's nuclear power operator Electrabel, a division of France's GDF Suez, shut down two of its reactors last year while it investigates cracks fou

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

So yeah, we haven't a hope of running a Nuclear Power plant efficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Is there any chance of Ireland getting out of the dark ages and legislating for nuclear power?

Nuclear Power is banned in Ireland and rightly so.

If you don't agree with me then please reply within the next two days otherwise i'll take that as a confirmation.

Thank you _noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

No
    LostBoy101 wrote: »
    What makes you say that? Nuclear Power is quite safe compaired to coal,oil or gas. Ireland is using nuclear power right now I don't see why we can't run a nuclear power plant. There is a lot of misinformation and scaremongering out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No
    books4sale wrote: »
    Nuclear Power is banned in Ireland and rightly so.

If you don't agree with me then please reply within the next two days otherwise i'll take that as a confirmation.

Thank you _noob.
    One of our light houses used to be nuclear and there's a reactor in UCC. And about 4% of our energy is nuclear. http://commissionersofirishlights.com/cil/aids-to-navigation/lighthouses/rathlin-o-birne.aspx

Maybe you mean nuclear generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

No
    No point of even dreaming of nuclear energy in Ireland, its never going to happen.

If Japan, one of the most sophisticated industrial nations on the face of this planet are unable to get their act together after a major nuclear catastrophe what hope in hell have we got.

2 Plants same design were hit, one had increased the protection wall height the other didn't. Plant1 hit by tidel wave, plant2 protected from tidel wave. & still no nuc-explosions or mutents created.
    LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I suppose that's the nations' probmattic attitude that we are incapable thick paddies, which depend on other countries to look after us. Some of the greatest brains have come out of Ireland, yet we have zero pride in ourselves and won't support anything in Ireland unless there's an American accent.
    Isnt sellafield suppose to have been responsible for alot of nuclear waste in the Irish Sea? Thats another plant that has very questionable health and safety issues!
    And the impact? lovely fish, not glowing, no two headed-fish, just a load of hysteria.
    ----

Aside if the RoI ban continues can it stop NI from building a plant. As the NI ecconomy pretty much is propped up by the UK, a Nuclear plant in NI supplying all of Ireland with power makes sense, btw we already import nuclear generated power (Airtricity parent company)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

In practice isn't at least some of our power from the interconnector with the UK nuclear generated?

Seems a bit like our approach to abortion, say it won't happen in Ireland and let everyone take advantage of it being OK in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In practice isn't at least some of our power from the interconnector with the UK nuclear generated?
    the UK is a nett importer of energy

Unlike us they've been in the business of nuclear power since 1956, even then they have a surcharge on electricity to pay for the additional costs. And with all the experience they are buying Japanese reactors that might (if there are no delays) be operational in 2025.

Wylfa 1 is closing down next year

Dungeness B 1&2 in 5 years time and
    Hartlepool 1&2 and Heysham I-1 & I-2 will close the year after that.
    The history and development of the UK nuclear industry is covered in Appendix 1 to this paper, Nuclear Development in the United Kingdom. Currently, there are 16 operating reactors in the UK totalling 10 GWe capacity. The last operating Magnox reactor - Wylfa 1 - is due to shut down when its fuel runs out, in September 2014. This will leave seven twin-unit AGR stations and one PWR, all owned and operated by Electricite de France (EdF) subsidiary EdF Energy.

Boo down with this sort of thing!

People dont give a monkeys about nuclear power cos its the society we have today, buy now pay later only the people that are around now wont pay later cos the chances are they will be gone before the **** hits the fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

392 posters wouldn't mind a nuclear power plant built on the edge of their neighbourhood. Really?

I call 392 shills on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No
    392 posters wouldn't mind a nuclear power plant built on the edge of their neighbourhood. Really?

Sellafield is closer to Dublin than Belmullet, malin head etc.

Once built they have a very small footprint and you wouldn't notice it.

I still think we should outsource a nuclear facility and get an Irish reactor built in sellafield and run by the crowd over there, just run an extra interconnecter straight from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

andrew wrote: »
    Fission power has been 30 years away for a lot more than 30 years. There are still massive hurdles preventing fission power from becoming viable any time soon.

I think you mean Fusion Power. Fission power has been in use in nuclear power plants all over the world since the 1950s.

ted1 wrote: »
    Sellafield is closer to Dublin than Belmullet, malin head etc.

Once built they have a very small footprint and you wouldn't notice it.

I still think we should outsource a nuclear facility and get an Irish reactor built in sellafield and run by the crowd over there, just run an extra interconnecter straight from there.
    So what should we do for electricity until 2025 , bearing in mind we'd have to start paying for it's construction tomorrow and so couldn't pay for renewable sources as well.

And what makes you think it will be any more economic than the current ones which are heavily subsidised.

As for the small footprint, what's the worlds most radioactive sea ?

Fukushima and Chernoybly have big footprints. But hey a 0.1% chance of loosing areas the size of Counties Louth or Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

With the electrical interconnect with Britain, we are using Nuclear Power for quite a while now.

TheUsual wrote: »
    With the electrical interconnect with Britain, we are using Nuclear Power for quite a while now.
    interconnectors work both ways.

and the UK is a nett importer of power

and even if you could prove we were importing power from the UK (check eirgrid) you'd still have to prove it was nuclear and even then you'd have to prove that the amount was substantial for it to be any sort of argument

and as you well know electrons move in the opposite direction to current.
    the link is DC so if we are importing current we are exporting electrons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

No

I call sheer arrogance on your post. But what's your point here?

Yes it's a big site, but it's not the only site in the UK
    and that cost doesn't include final disposal of the waste.

Sellafield clean-up cost reaches £67.5bn, says report ( €78 Bn )
    The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached £67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a report.

The Public Accounts Committee's report said deadlines to clean the Cumbria site had been missed, leaving crucial decommissioning projects over budget.

"Furthermore, now that Cumbria County Council has ruled out West Cumbria as the site of the proposed geological disposal facility, a solution to the problem of long-term storage of the waste is as far away as ever."

• Advertisement

The reason why so many people voted in favour of Nuclear power is because they dont give a toss what happens to the world when they are dead and buried, none of the potential impact of nuclear will happen in their lifetime, maybe not.

If you look at the problem we have with our envioronment global warming rising sea level Carbon emmissions even waste managment, people just dont care about all of these problems becuase when theyre gone theyre gone and its not their problem anymore, thats why youve got such a huge vote in favour to it.

Look at prof James Lovelocks Theory, man kind has another 10-100 years to save the planet, because of global warming, nobody seems to care about this problem be it in Government of the lay man, The americans still havent signed up to the Kyoto agreement to cut emmissions cos it doesnt suit their lifestyle choices.

So if people in general dont care about possible dooms day scenario and change our behaviour for the sake of man kind well chances are they dont give a toss about Nuclear power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Recidivist

No
    Humm, I think James Lovelock is a proponent of nuclear power.

Nuclear power got a lot of bad press during the cold war, I don’t think it’ll ever recover.
    If it were economical I’d be all for it.

Let’s frack the **** out of Fermanagh and Leitrim, invest the returns in renewables.

Recidivist wrote: »
    Humm, I think James Lovelock is a proponent of nuclear power.

Nuclear power got a lot of bad press during the cold war, I don’t think it’ll ever recover.
    If it were economical I’d be all for it.

Let’s frack the **** out of Fermanagh and Leitrim, invest the returns in renewables.

Fracking, another great thing for the environment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

My brother is an engineer. So is my Godfather

They both say Nuclear power is not a realistic option for Ireland as our population is so small. The nuclear reactor would have to be so small it would be too inefficient apparently.

I am against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No
    Not sure it would be very useful for a small nation like ours. Also were broke and couldn't afford to build one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

No

They both say Nuclear power is not a realistic option for Ireland as our population is so small. The nuclear reactor would have to be so small it would be too inefficient apparently.

I am against it.

But we could export the electricity to the UK via the inter-connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I am against it.
    Ireland consumes 4 gigawatts of power on average, which isn't too far off the size of a large reactor. One would do it. I'm still against it though, a Fukushima style disaster would render half the country (!) uninhabitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

No
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Ireland consumes 4 gigawatts of power on average, which isn't too far off the size of a large reactor. One would do it. I'm still against it though, a Fukushima style disaster would render half the country (!) uninhabitable.

Yeah, Ireland really is a hop-spot for earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes and strong hurricanes.

Ye know Earthquakes arent the only way things can go pear shaped, what happens when a meteor one kilometre wide hits somewhere on earth? It happened before and it is expected to happen again, just like it did in Germany, its expected to happen again soon, this would render a huge amount of earth uninhabitable,

you people are all so Naieve that the powers that be have our best interests at heart and they will look after it all, look at all the fook ups that have happened in this country! Theres Sh't we dont even know about thats happened around the world with Nuclear power, sure its a great way of generating power but what about the risks the after life of plants and by products and then the possible risks, man kind will not be able to keep nature in check for ever.

Chernobyl is the next biggest Chernobyl waiting to happen as that problem still hasnt been fixed properly its just been poured over by concrete and its said to be very close to erupting again but the powers that be just dont know how to deal with, once is enough!!!!!!

• Advertisement

No
    Ye know Earthquakes arent the only way things can go pear shaped, what happens when a meteor one kilometre wide hits somewhere on earth? It happened before and it is expected to happen again, just like it did in Germany, its expected to happen again soon, this would render a huge amount of earth uninhabitable,

If a meteor 1km wide hit Ireland the least of our worries would be it hitting a nuclear power plant. It would take out half the planet.

Advertisement