Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw stuck fast in wall! How to remove?

• 29-09-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I have a few screws stuck fast into a brick wall. Today, I was removing a wall railing on a stairs in my house.

I've googled and haven't yet found a (non-destructive) solution that works. Hammering it slightly, using penetrating lubricant, using leverage, sticking a wide rubber band in the slot, I just can't get the friction and power I need.

It's a Philips head screw, possibly a masonry screw, about 3-4 inches.

Just wondering what's worked for any of you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pliers and slowly twist them out.

Works a treat when the pozi head of the screw gets fcuked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Problem is, the screws are so far into the wall, and within a recess in the rail bracket, that I haven't a hope of getting a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 motherofthree

there is a gadget on the market to take out damaged screws ,hardware shop should have them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Drill the heads off with a drill the same size as the screw shank.
    Once the head are off and the handrail is removed, use a good set of vice-grips to clamp on and twist out.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

I have had this problem in the past and I have brocken the head or cut the hed off at the pall and filled over. The other option is to get your drill our and drill holes beside the screw to the the screw out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have had this problem,
    only way i could do the job was, to get a punch and hammer and hammer it in the slightest bit and filling over it, it will be a tiny hole you need to fill, but if you insist on taking it out you are going to end up with a larger hole and lots of sweat all for nothing, my way it leaves just the size of screwhead of a little hole about a quarter or less of a cm in and it takes the tiniest bit of filler to fill in, then you just dab on a little of the paint that is already on wall on the filler, wait till it dries and you will not see the thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

You could drill the head off the screw, this will let you remove the rail, then there should be plenty of the screw showing,

if you have a pair of mini vice grips this should let you remove the screws with very little damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

If the problem is that the screw head is rung you can get an elastic band.

http://lifehacker.com/5462520/remove-a-stripped-screw-with-a-rubber-band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

why not fill the screw head with a rubber solution and let it set, or an isopon compound pushing your screwdriver into it to create a mold, let it set then try to remove the screw (just thinking out loud)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

CJhaughey' suggestion of drilling the head off will do the job nicely.....buy a brand new drill bit -they are cheap -don't be struggling with a used one.Set drill to low speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement