Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build, looking for advice.

Options
  • 29-09-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

1. What is your budget? [€1000. Would be able to go to €1100 at the very most]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    [Gaming - TF2, Minecraft, Counter Strike. Maybe BF3 or similar games. Programming, Video Rcording/Editing, and general internet browsing]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [None at all]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [-]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No, I'd rather not risk anything]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer I think]

9. When are you purchasing? [I'd like it soon (2 - 4 weeks), but I'm not really too pushed about it]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin]

Ok, this is my first build so I'm really unsure about some things.
    First off, here is the build I'm thinking. I have left out a case and PSU, I'll explain why below:

Item|Price
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX|€125.17
    Intel Core i5-3550 S1155 3.3GHz 6MB|€199.94
    G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws-X DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz CL9|€49.17
    Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive|€75.48
    Sony 24x DVD-RW SATA Black Bare Internal Drive|€15.33
    Asus AMD Radeon 7850 HD 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI DirectCU II|€222.67
    Samsung 128GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD Basic Kit|€103.47
    Shipping|Free!
    Total|£791.23

The reason I've left out a case and PSU is because I'm not sure what I'd need.
    For a PSU, I think that about 650w is more than enough (I'm probably going to crossfire in the future). I've done a calculation here which calculated I'd only need about 350w to power it but that just seems too low. The PSU I'm thinking of is this.
    Would it be enough? Or too much? Or about right?

Second problem I'm having is picking a case. I have no idea how big the case should be, or how much cooling I'd need.
    I've been thinking of one of these two: Corsair 400R or Corsair 500R
    I'd prefer to go with the 400R because its cheaper. But the 500R has more fans/fan mounts and has a hard drive bay that you can take out to fit in a massive graphics card.
    If I got the 400R, would it be big enough for my Radeon 7850? Also, would it need any extra fans?
    Also, if I got the 500R would I need any extra fans?

And finally, are my parts all compatible? I've looked as best as I can and from what I can tell they are, but I'd appreciate someone else confirming this.

I really appreciate any help and suggestions. Also, sorry if any questions are really stupid, I'm completely new to this.

EDIT:
    One last thing:
    I'm not ordering off hardwareversand cause I don't like the idea of ordering expensive stuff from a broad.
    I know its silly and it really cuts down my choices, but I just really don't like the idea of ordering nearly a grand worth of parts from Germany...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I'd do this instead:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€167.88
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€67.99
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-17066U CL11-11-11-31|€48.84
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.96
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€56.69
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€89.10
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.75
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€54.95
    PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 V3, 3GB GDDR5|€359.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€936.15

You're ditching crossfire capabilities, but you're getting a freaking HD7970 so it's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Cydp3

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned in thread:

I'm not ordering off hardwareversand cause I don't like the idea of ordering expensive stuff from a broad.
    I know its silly and it really cuts down my choices, but I just really don't like the idea of ordering nearly a grand worth of parts from Germany...

Thanks for the build though, will see if I can find some of those parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Cydp3 wrote: »
    Sorry, I probably should have mentioned in thread:

Thanks for the build though, will see if I can find some of those parts.

Sexist! :pac:

What's the difference between ordering from Britain and ordering from Germany?

You're not going to get near that build if you're limiting your options like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Cydp3

Eboggles wrote: »
    Sexist! :pac:

What's the difference between ordering from Britain and ordering from Germany?

You're not going to get near that build if you're limiting your options like that.

No, I didn't mean it like that :P
    Its just that I don't feel comfortable ordering something expensive from Germany. Or anywhere else but Britain and Ireland really.
    I know its stupid and that, but I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Advertisement