Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

driving license perth australia

• 29-09-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

lads my full irish license was revoked last year. will i have to resit exam in perth if i move over there for work??i was banned for 3 years and im just wondering if i can re sit exam over there etc???all answers much appreciated.thanks.jim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jim1989 wrote: »
    lads my full irish license was revoked last year. will i have to resit exam in perth if i move over there for work??i was banned for 3 years and im just wondering if i can re sit exam over there etc???all answers much appreciated.thanks.jim
    You will have to go on L plates, do a test then fill out a logbook showing 25 hours of supervised driving over 6 months to get P plates. You will start on red P plates for 6 months and change to green P plates for a year. After all this you will be given a full driving licence. There is no way around it. If you show them your Irish licence they will check it and verify it with Irish records and you will show up as a banned driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The application may ask if you are suspended from driving in another country and if you are you will not be eligible to apply for an Australian licence.

Now this may not be the way things are run in Australia but it is for many other countries. Does anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

tuxy wrote: »
    The application may ask if you are suspended from driving in another country and if you are you will not be eligible to apply for an Australian licence.

Now this may not be the way things are run in Australia but it is for many other countries. Does anyone know for sure?

you mean this?
    Completing your application

Once you have met the requirements overleaf, you will
    need to
    • Complete an application form that includes
    questions regarding:

- any medical conditions you may have that could affect
    your driving; and
    - any traffic or criminal convictions that
    you may have.

• Pass an eyesight test.
    • Pay the required fees.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_DL_B_AuthDriveWAOverseas.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jim1989

sure if that's the case why don't the courts tell you that your'e banned from other countries as well as the republic of eire?

sure if that's the case why don't the courts tell you that your'e banned from other countries as well as the republic of eire?

Courts in ROI are only responsible for ROI they don't give a damn about the rest of the world, but in Austalia you are asked you to declare if you have convictions ....I suppose you could lie if you want but if they checked it they would probably refuse to accept anything from you again.

From what I hear WA are very particular about Irish driving applications.

• Advertisement

thanks, i will just be going on a 1 year working hol visa and will be getting sponsored as i am going on trial with company.so i wont even be able to sit a test as my visa doesnt let me.you have to be permanent resident.ahhhh really didnt think being banned in one country would effect me so much in another!!

thanks, i will just be going on a 1 year working hol visa and will be getting sponsored as i am going on trial with company.so i wont even be able to sit a test as my visa doesnt let me.you have to be permanent resident.ahhhh really didnt think being banned in one country would effect me so much in another!!

You can do your test on WHV if you want, driving convictions in Ireland might not prevent you getting a licence if you do the test in Australia.

All I'm saying is if you have convictions you should probably declare them as not declaring them would be worse, doesn't mean that you can't start with a clean slate.

thanks very much. i must look into that now.cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mandrake04 wrote: »
    From what I hear WA are very particular about Irish driving applications.
    I can confirm that they did check back with Ireland when I converted my license, don't know if they check past history in other countries if you're you're starting from scratch though. It might become a problem later in a PR application if the Garda clearance cert alerts them to a revoked driving license so probably best to declare upfront. If you've been off the road for a good while they might count that as having learned your lesson.

The crazy thing about the driving license office officialdom though is things like the IDs required, I didn't have the requisite "points" to process my application. To make up these points I needed one more form of ID, they suggested a Proof of Age card. "Great", says I "and where can I get one these proof of age cards?".
    "We issue them" says the driving centre clerk.
    "So I don't meet you criteria to issue me a driving license because I don't have enough IDs to prove I am who I say I am but you can sell me a "proof of age card" for $25 which will then allow you to issue me my driving license".
    Total scam state sponsored scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

When did your ban start? You might only have to serve 3/4 of the ban so you could have your licence back before you could get fully qualified in Aus.

Edit: my mistake it's actually 2/3 , you will be back on the road 2 years after your ban started once you have surrendered you licence, paid the fine and not done anything to piss off the local gardi

• Advertisement

case was going on for ages and i only got ban few weeks ago! i was stopped nearly two years ago!!unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭tigerballs

If you are over 25, you are able to skip the whole L plate part of the Australian driving licence application process and go straight to the theory and road test.. could be on the road with a P plate inside a week or two.

tigerballs wrote: »
    If you are over 25, you are able to skip the whole L plate part of the Australian driving licence application process and go straight to the theory and road test.. could be on the road with a P plate inside a week or two.
    Pub talk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭tigerballs

First hand experience. Although dated. I did this in 1998. Very annoying beeen a P plater on a big road trip in OZ though.top speed 80kph.

tigerballs wrote: »
    First hand experience. Although dated. I did this in 1998. Very annoying beeen a P plater on a big road trip in OZ though.top speed 80kph.
    Is this the case in all states? My gf just came off l plates last week. She's over 25. I'm wondering if she needed to be on l plates at all. We're in wa.

Advertisement