Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Charlesland.

Options
  • 29-09-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was just wondering how you guys think this shop has progressed over the last year or so since been taken over by Musgrave. There was a thread here back in 2009 about the shop and and it listed off problems such as;

*Low stock levels on essentials.
    *Queues.
    *Nobody serving at the convenience till or the Fast lanes.

Has it improved since then or do these problems still remain? What would you like to see change in the shop? Is there anything that has worsened since Musgrave have taken over?

Just curious :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't have any problems with it at all. I'm really curious about why you are so curious OP?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

Ah I just work there and stumbled across the previous thread which was a bit of a bashing. Well deserved and all but just wondering has anything really changed since the takeover. I still see customers regularly getting frustrated with, for instance, having to cue at the big till behind trolleys for the likes of a lotto or just a packet of smokes.We got a pep talk when they took over about how we're going back to the old days of customer service which i assumed meant investing in staff and hours but i haven't seen any change at all i just wondered did it come across that way on the other side of the counter.

You seem happy enough though so maybe alls well!

The queues can be a bit annoying sometimes but generally the place is fine.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah yeah, sure you get queues in most places at peak times so nothing new i suppose. Always good to get a bit of feedback though. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I've no problems with it. Yes it can be busy but that's to be expected. Great having it so close. Also well done on getting that bloody mary mixer in. S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

My big gripe is that there should be someone keeping an eye on the self-service tills. Too often, because problems occur, it can actually end up being quicker to queue for one of the regular tills. Or should that be the only regular till as they are often unattended despite the volume of customers.

You know you're going to be busy from about 5 in the evening til 7 as everyone is getting home from work. Would it be too much to have all the tills open at that stage? Staff stocking shelves should be readily available to come to the tills. Surely they could be trained up for that?

I find the range has improved in the last couple of years and there are more (and better) specials than before the takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

staff are it's best asset. I've seen it run out butter on a couple of occasion. Butter! lacks imagination IMHO. for instance crossaints are regularly late on sunday mornings. It's a bit pricier than Tesco and it's meats are not as good. The scanning of marked down items is impossible and causes constant problems.

I agree with that about scanning marked down items. I actually expect to input the codes manually. I also think it's a bit stupid when they put the stickers on that they don't cover the original barcode.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah I fully agree on the markdown stickers. I actually work on the tills myself and I don't even try scanning them any more I just type them in but to have to type in a 20 odd digit code on the fastlane is a pain. As far as I've been aware it actually now illegal not to cover the origional barcode when marking a product down and it actually has been past on by management so hopefully the guys on the floor will just do it now. As for the markdown machine itself we've just recieved a new one so hopefully the stickers will be readable from now on. Fully agree with the 5-7 slot as well, is say its so frustrating to see that queue and look across at some one packing, in my opinion the packing should wait because with a fully staffed checkout the queues woul be cleared in minutes.

These are all points that I see from the checkouts as well, I'll be sure to pass them on, thanks.

staff are it's best asset.

A bit bias but I also agree with this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

dougiex06 wrote: »
    staff are it's best asset.

A bit bias but I also agree with this :)
    the staff make the shop.i always have a bit of craic with and always very friendly.helpful and smiley.

Maudi wrote: »
    the staff make the shop.i always have a bit of craic with and always very friendly.helpful and smiley.

It's a great place to work. I'm only very part time but have to say I never mind going in, love having a bit of banter with the customers, I even know a lot of them by name at this stage. Just always wondered what it was like to shop in from the outside, that why I stated the thread. Also its a handy way for customers to vent what they think is wrong with the shop and make it a bit better.

It seems to be most people are now happy enough its just small issues like queue control and essential out of stocks which should be sorted. Never heard of anybody having a service issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Ahaha Dougie, representin' :P

I'm just glad that they're trying to respond to these issues now. Before Musgraves took over it was like talking to a brick wall, re complaints and comments made by customers. And it was crap because I would always try to pass on comments to managers but it probably seemed like I just didn't give a **** because nothing was ever done about it. Select Retail Holdings really didn't seem to be customer focused at all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i love the actual shop and i have to agree with above posters, its the staff that make it what it is.

but i wish that either the person who works in superquinn (or is picked up) that (sometimes preceeded by engine roaring and donuts) comes tearing out of the carpark in a car with really loud exhaust almost every evening between 22:20 and 22:30 would have a little more respect for people living nearby, especially those with children asleep at the front of the house. theyre often accompanied by other boy-racer cars, sometimes exiting the carpark with their lights off (!?!?!) and and go hurtling off down the road at breakneck speed. could be coincedence, but given that it always happens at the same time every evening makes me think theres a superquinn connection. :mad:

eleMental wrote: »
    i love the actual shop and i have to agree with above posters, its the staff that make it what it is.

but i wish that either the person who works in superquinn (or is picked up) that (sometimes preceeded by engine roaring and donuts) comes tearing out of the carpark in a car with really loud exhaust almost every evening between 22:20 and 22:30 would have a little more respect for people living nearby, especially those with children asleep at the front of the house. theyre often accompanied by other boy-racer cars, sometimes exiting the carpark with their lights off (!?!?!) and and go hurtling off down the road at breakneck speed. could be coincedence, but given that it always happens at the same time every evening makes me think theres a superquinn connection. :mad:

I dunno anything about that man, wish I had a nice high performance car but my little motor wouldn't be waking up anyone. Cheers for the comment about the shop though. My question seems to have been answered, seems the shop has really improved since the takeover.

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I have to say i find the long queues very annoying, i'm in there almost every day and sometimes there are 7 or 8 people waiting at one checkout and no staff at any other, but plenty of staff available. There is a shop out in Skerries where i work which has a great system, if any more than 2 people are waiting in a queue the member of staff rings a buzzer/bell and within seconds another staff member comes along to get rid of the backlog, and thats even at 7 in the morning! Its a great system and works really well. Hope this helps, this is the only problem i have with the shop to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

I like the shop, I like the stock. Although while there is a great selection of wines and many at great value, the selection of beers are appalling and vastly overpriced - compared to what's on offer in O'Brien's Off-Licence on the main st.

What really, really get's my back up though is the staffing of the tills. The self-service tills should be considered as an optional overflow till for people not willing to wait while the shop is busy. They shouldn't be considered the default option, which they seem to be. It smacks of outright laziness a lot of the time. If they're going to be the only tills open either get the rest of the staff off the floor, have them on the floor at least looking busy, and make sure that staff member usually hanging around at the tills to 'validate' something is at least doing something productive with their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I like the shop a lot, but, I would like if you sold white wine chilled, there are fridges full of beer and cider and no wine at all. A few New Zealand Sauv Blancs would do nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I like the shop a lot, but, I would like if you sold white wine chilled, there are fridges full of beer and cider and no wine at all. A few New Zealand Sauv Blancs would do nicely!

Echo that!

Advertisement