Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bouncers/ Clubs rights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 p1nm101

ehmjay wrote: »
    "Not tonight lads"
    "Ahhh, why?"
    "Don't recognise you"
    "We were here last week"
    "Not tonight lads"

OP when I was your age even in a group of 6 or 7 we'd walk up in 2's or 3's, get talking to girls in the queue if there were none with us, we weren't scobes, we were well-dressed, slightly intoxicated and sometimes for no reason we'd be refused. Move on to another club, get in and enjoy our night, try the same club we were refused from the next week and get in. There were 40 of you out together and you weren't enjoying yourselves? Anyway, from the point of view of the bouncers your friend was spilling drinks on the dance-floor and falling over, reason enough to kick him out. And why did you take a picture of your friends drugs?

If your going to try and be a big lad, read the post. My friend slipped on (possibly spilt drink) he didnt spill it he just walked over to us. He was not the guy that was kicked out, another friend was, who was sitting there, drinking water at the time as he was working today so only had a couple of pints, he wasnt drunk. I took a picture because they kicked him out, then we noticed the bouncer searching on the floor with a torch and we were wondering what the story was so i realised he obviously thought he was doing drugs or something similar so i wanted to show the manager what was on the ground.

And for someone who said something before, I wanted them to look at the cameras to prove he didnt do anything if they were so adiment that he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Go inside and deal with.....

You know, the lads in the club who watch the dancefloor, general area as opposed to filtering the people entering the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Melion wrote: »
    Yes i have seen it happen. Senior lads with good customer service skills work the front door and most of the time, earn more money. Cant deal with customers, then go inside.

Wish that happened in Dublin clubs then.
    Mr. Boo wrote: »

This is my typical image of interactions with bouncers. They're not mostly dicks, but a lot of them are obsessed by control without squeaking out so much as an ounce of politeness.

Some other well known establishments in Galway have a policy about the type of characters they hire, and have a good name for having polite, professional and fair bouncers.

This. Why have I yet to meet a polite bouncer?! Doesn't hurt to have manners and good customer skills. I work in customer service and do you think I don't occassionally have a bad day where I want to punch the customers for being so rude and obnoxious to me? Yet I still do my job, professionally and politely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Rule number one: Never ever ever turn up to a club in a large group. You're asking to get refused.

Also, four very important words: Right of admission reserved (R.O.A.R)

There you go, Nightclubs for Beginners (or Dummies)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

This. Why have I yet to meet a polite bouncer?! Doesn't hurt to have manners and good customer skills. I work in customer service and do you think I don't occassionally have a bad day where I want to punch the customers for being so rude and obnoxious to me? Yet I still do my job, professionally and politely.

Ive worked in customer service for almost 10 years, i know how to be polite to customers.

Go inside and deal with.....

The 700 people who are inside :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

The 700 people who are inside :confused:

So instead of having them on the door because they're incapable of dealing with people, you send them inside to deal with people. I think that's what he was getting at.

The problem with this is that most bouncers will look for any opportunity for a person to be "resisting". On the few occasions I have been kicked out for good reason (dancing on a table, scum I know!) I've always made a point of being polite to them and acknowledging that I was in the wrong. Unfortunately this is made somewhat difficult by a big manchild grabbing your neck has hard as possible, shoving you in the back and telling you to shut up and keep walking or he'll "drop you".

Honestly the best way to wind these people up is to be polite and not give them an excuse to 'restrain' you.

If i see a fight, i will break it up and take out who i see as the agressor. Someone else will deal with whatever is left behind. I will get them out in the easiest way possible and then i will talk to them outside. I will find out what happened and diffuse the situation and most likely, both parties will be sent on their way.

If i see a situation about to happen then i will walk over, make my presence known and if they want to continue whatever they are doing then i will take one aside and talk to them. If i feel they need to leave i will ask them, if they get cheeky for no reason and refuse to leave then i will make them.

So instead of having them on the door because they're incapable of dealing with people, you send them inside to deal with people. I think that's what he was getting at.

You dont need customer service to work in a nightclub, you need to be able to spot trouble and stop it happening before it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Ive worked in customer service for almost 10 years, i know how to be polite to customers.

Are you honestly telling us that you've never arbitrarily stopped one person from a (small) group, or individual on his own, and told him he can't get in for absolutely no reason other than you decided you didn't like him?

I had this more times than I care to remember when I lived in Dublin. And that's coming from a person who is a fairly quiet, non-drinker! Just the bouncer being an arsehole and taking delight from trying to ruin someone's night. And, no, I'd never be scruffy. I'd normally be fairly well dressed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

If i see a fight, i will break it up and take out who i see as the agressor. Someone else will deal with whatever is left behind. I will get them out in the easiest way possible and then i will talk to them outside. I will find out what happened and diffuse the situation and most likely, both parties will be sent on their way

Genuine question, what if you took them outside and after them explaining, you realise that you had made a mistake? Do you swallow your pride and let them back in, or do you just tell them to f*** off and go and have a laugh about it with your colleagues?

If i see a fight, i will break it up and take out who i see as the agressor. Someone else will deal with whatever is left behind. I will get them out in the easiest way possible and then i will talk to them outside. I will find out what happened and diffuse the situation and most likely, both parties will be sent on their way.

Nice bunch of flowers followed by a nice romantic meal and wine? :P

yore wrote: »
    Are you honestly telling us that you've never arbitrarily stopped one person from a (small) group, or individual on his own, and told him he can't get in for absolutely no reason other than you decided you didn't like him?

I had this more times than I care to remember when I lived in Dublin. And that's coming from a person who is a fairly quiet, non-drinker! Just the bouncer being an arsehole and taking delight from trying to ruin someone's night. And, no, I'd never be scruffy. I'd normally be fairly well dressed.

I've yet to met, in real live, a person such as yourself.

You dont need customer service to work in a nightclub, you need to be able to spot trouble and stop it happening before it does.
    And therein lies the problem with bouncers. They treat every customer as a possible threat rather than a customer. Granted they don't all act like customers but is it really going to make your job harder if you were just nice to everyone?

Look at it the other way around - most of the bouncer's I've met have been nasty pieces of work (to me or others), but I'm still polite to them.

That kind of sums up what everyone has been saying.

The establishments I like, are those which have a good atmosphere, music etc. obviously. But they also have polite, friendly bouncers, with good customer service chops. They remember their regulars and *gasp* would even say hello if you met them outside of work. This would constitute probably 10-15% of joints in Galway.

Ive never stopped someone i didnt like. Ive had to smile and greet plenty of people i dont like and let them in while holding open a door. I dont stop people for no reason.

Genuine question, what if you took them outside and after them explaining, you realise that you had made a mistake? Do you swallow your pride and let them back in, or do you just tell them to f*** off and go and have a laugh about it with your colleagues?

I have done just that. If i see a fight happening i will stop it, eject the person i see as the aggressor and ask questions later. If it turns out that the person was defending themself then i have no problem letting them back in and putting the other person out.

kippy wrote: »
    I've yet to met, in real live, a person such as yourself.

Seriously? The fact that I don't drink or the fact that I'd be described as fairly quiet?

Or do you find the combination unusual...because I don't exactly know too many non-drinkers who go out looking for a mad night, fighting and breaking **** up :)

And therein lies the problem with bouncers. They treat every customer as a possible threat rather than a customer. Granted they don't all act like customers but is it really going to make your job harder if you were just nice to everyone?

Look at it the other way around - most of the bouncer's I've met have been nasty pieces of work (to me or others), but I'm still polite to them.

Nobody is treated as a threat until they become one.

• Advertisement

Ive never stopped someone i didnt like. Ive had to smile and greet plenty of people i dont like and let them in while holding open a door. I dont stop people for no reason.

Allow me to give you some brief respite in a thread slagging off your profession (well other than that yore chap brown-nosing you:pac:)...

When me and my friends go to a pub or nightclub and the bouncers are nice - such as greeting you with a smile "how are you doing tonight lads? can I see yer ID, thanks lads have a good night now" and holding the door open, or when there's a misunderstanding such as two friends being a bit rowdy and the bouncer thinking it's a genuine fight, but then being reasonable when it's explained, or just bouncers who are decent craic when you interact with them. When these things happen it's actually something we comment on. "Those bouncers are really sound", "ah that bouncer is dead on". I don't cause them trouble anyway but the odd time when a friend has been out of line and it's happened with bouncers are I know are decent I've taken my mate to one side (or outside) myself and told him to cop on and I've apologised for the hassle.

It says it all that it's a pleasant surprise when bouncers are decent people.

Seriously? The fact that I don't drink or the fact that I'd be described as fairly quiet?

Or do you find the combination unusual...because I don't exactly know too many non-drinkers who go out looking for a mad night, fighting and breaking **** up :)

None of that.
    I've yet to meet a person, in real life, who regularly gets refused entry for no reason, to nightclubs or places where bouncers are on the door.
    I know a lot of people.

I'm yet to see anyone counter my point about the type of person who wants to be a bouncer.

The guy in this thread exempted, tell how likely it is that a nice, polite person who doesn't enjoy being aggressive or physical with people would think "I know, I'd like to take a job where the highlight of the night is "physically restraining" someone and telling people what to do".

Like the police, it's a necessary job, but it requires a particular sort of person.

My only (rare) quarrel with bouncers these days tends to be over ID. I'm almost 24 and I look it... or at least certainly over 21. I remember going to an 21st birthday party in a hotel (private function) a few months ago. Everyone in my group was aged 20-23 (I was the oldest). I didn't have my passport with me, but I had my college card (local university) and several other cards with a matching name to show it was me. The bouncer refused to let me in because I didn't have "valid ID". I asked him did he genuinely think I was under 18 and he said no, but I need valid ID. I suppose the 20 or so family members aged 40-70 inside had all brought their passports...

I'm yet to see anyone counter my point about the type of person who wants to be a bouncer.

The guy in this thread exempted, tell how likely it is that a nice, polite person who doesn't enjoy being aggressive or physical with people would think "I know, I'd like to take a job where the highlight of the night is "physically restraining" someone and telling people what to do".

Like the police, it's a necessary job, but it requires a particular sort of person.

I have no interest in being aggressive or physical but will do it if necessary. Im 28 and have never been in a fist fight in my life, have no interest in it. The highlight of my night is getting home and getting into bed knowing that nothing went wrong.

If there really were that many people in the professions you mentioned earlier the amount of blood stained, battered and bruised people walking around the city streets would be huge.
    The highlight of any of those professions is probably getting home safe and sound to his or her family, no more than any other profession to be honest.

If there really were that many people in the professions you mentioned earlier the amount of blood stained, battered and bruised people walking around the city streets would be huge.
    You seem to think that bouncers being an arsehole is limited to them beating people up. I'm not quite sure how the utter slew of other complaints in this thread have passed you by.

• Advertisement

None of that.
    I've yet to meet a person, in real life, who regularly gets refused entry for no reason, to nightclubs or places where bouncers are on the door.
    I know a lot of people.

I know a lot of people too. But I don't know anyone currently working as a bouncer. That doesn't mean bouncers don't exist.

I never said regularly. I just said more times than I care to remember. At least a couple of times a year over a few years. Maybe things have changed now that the celtic tiger has gone :D . I will admit to a slight sense of smugness when I saw that a group which owned a pub at which it happened on a number of occasions went into receivership. It happened mainly at popular "trendy" bars where the bouncers could be arseholes and the places would still fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Males start more fights than women, thats a fact, not a generalisation.

Legally you have to carry a passport and/or an age card until you are 21. If someone hands me a passport and i dont believe its them in the picture, i will ask for the age card, if they dont have one then i will ask for another form of I.D,even a bank card will do me. If they dont have one then they are not getting in.

Sorry but thats bull. Drunk women can be very nasty and cause trouble out of nothing. They have an argument with their boyfriend and then go and complain to the bouncer with some bull to get the boyfriend thrown out and thats when it all kicks off and the boyfriend gets blamed .
    I laugh at the bouncer when they tell me that "Its a private party" or "requlars only" as i know they are spoofing :). I would have more respect for them if they just say that they just dont want to let me in .

You seem to think that bouncers being an arsehole is limited to them beating people up. I'm not quite sure how the utter slew of other complaints in this thread have passed you by.

I was refering, in general, to your "roughing up" remarks.
    What other complaints?
    Not getting in for "no reason".
    As I've said, I've yet to meet anyone with this issue.

Males start more fights than women, thats a fact, not a generalisation
    Statistically, black people in London commit more crimes than white people.

Statistically, more people from the North have set off bombs on this island.

Is it okay to be prejudiced based on these facts? I would say no.

Legally you have to carry a passport and/or an age card until you are 21.
    Uh, what

Uh, what

If you want entry to a nightclub/pub, you are legally required to carry ID until you are 21.

• Advertisement

I know a lot of people too. But I don't know anyone currently working as a bouncer. That doesn't mean bouncers don't exist.

I never said regularly. I just said more times than I care to remember. At least a couple of times a year over a few years. Maybe things have changed now that the celtic tiger has gone :D . I will admit to a slight sense of smugness when I saw that a group which owned a pub at which it happened on a number of occasions went into receivership. It happened mainly at popular "trendy" bars where the bouncers could be arseholes and the places would still fill.

So you do remember then.
    AS I said, I've yet to meet anyone in real life that doesn't get into these places for "no reason" at least twice a year or in general to be honest.

The trendy bars are the trendy bars. I'd be more concerned about the price of a night out in them than the bouncers to be honest, even from a non alcohol drinkers PoV.

I'm out of his tread but here's a piece of advice.
    If there are that many "arsehole" members of the professions mentioned earlier on, and specificilly in bouncing, try avoid that venue in future. If enough people think the same thing about the bouncers there and vote with their feet those guys wont be there that long.
    An honestly, they are not all arseholes out to ruin your night.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Sorry but thats bull. Drunk women can be very nasty and cause trouble out of nothing. They have an argument with their boyfriend and then go and complain to the bouncer with some bull to get the boyfriend thrown out and thats when it all kicks off and the boyfriend gets blamed .
    I laugh at the bouncer when they tell me that "Its a private party" or "requlars only" as i know they are spoofing :). I would have more respect for them if they just say that they just dont want to let me in .

Its far from bull, i think in all my years doing doors i have had to get in the middle of 1 female fight. Drunk men start far more fights and arguments than anyone else.

If you are told that its regulars only/private party on a regular basis then there is obviously something wrong with your appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I got refused many times (sober i might add) from pubs in Temple Bar because i wasn't a "regular",it's Temple Bar probably 70% of which were tourists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Welcome to the wonderful world of clubbing OP. This is just typical of club bouncers and my advice is just behave reasonably well, enjoy your night and stay out of their way, if you get thrown out, just go home or go elsewhere, you will cause yourself a lot less hassle. There is no point ever trying to argue with them, you are just asking for trouble and are likely to get yourself injured. And don't go out clubbing in a group of 40! This is all new to you but you will just have to accept that bouncers are assholes and if you are unlucky enough to get thrown out or w/e, just accept it and move along, there is no point investing any more in it.

If you want entry to a nightclub/pub, you are legally required to carry ID until you are 21.
    How does this work...

I'm 24, does that mean I don't have to carry ID?

I've got into nightclubs when I was 20 without ID, because I looked 20. Which is old enough.

What if a 19 year old tries to get into your nightclub without ID, but you 100% know he is 19 as you know him personally or remember seeing his ID last night. Can he not come in even though the licensing laws say he is old enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

A group of 40 18 year olds most likely tanked up with beer they'd been having while drinking at home earlier arrive in NAAS and every single one of them behave like little angles.
    The OP and his group suffer an injustice worse than that of the Birmingham Six. Give me a break lads.

Ah the typical helpful high horse AH reply.
    "It is all the OP's fault". DO people come onto this forum just to have a go at people looking for some advice?

I was kicked out for no reason..... You MUST have done something
    I was Clamped in my own spot.... You must have been in the wrong somehow
    ad nauseam, ad nauseam

How does this work...

I'm 24, does that mean I don't have to carry ID?

I've got into nightclubs when I was 20 without ID, because I looked 20. Which is old enough.

What if a 19 year old tries to get into your nightclub without ID, but you 100% know he is 19 as you know him personally or remember seeing his ID last night. Can he not come in even though the licensing laws say he is old enough?

No, a 24yr old doesnt have to carry ID. If you get ID'ed and you dont have it, then thats your own problem.

If i know someone is 19, i wont ID them, why would i?

I was kicked out for no reason..... You MUST have done something
    I was Clamped in my own spot.... You must have been in the wrong somehow
    ad nauseam, ad nauseam
    That's the internet for you. It's not just AH, I made a thread on the Legal advice section ages ago after being unfairly hassled by the Gardai. I gave all the facts yet every poster was insistent that I "wasn't telling the whole story" and that it must have been my fault.

Well because....
    Melion wrote:

Its far from bull, i think in all my years doing doors i have had to get in the middle of 1 female fight. Drunk men start far more fights and arguments than anyone else.

If you are told that its regulars only/private party on a regular basis then there is obviously something wrong with your appearance.

I would be sure that a women would be the cause of it .

Nothing wrong with my appearance bud. Ive seen women dressed like muck allowed in and decent dressed lads refused entry. If you have tits on show then you are allowed in no matter what you are dressed like.

• Advertisement

So you do remember then.
    AS I said, I've yet to meet anyone in real life that doesn't get into these places for "no reason" at least twice a year or in general to be honest.
    I saw it manys the night. Even just waiting in a queue for half an hour to get inside to possibly a half empty place.
    The trendy bars are the trendy bars. I'd be more concerned about the price of a night out in them than the bouncers to be honest, even from a non alcohol drinkers PoV.
    This is true. Especially doing rounds. But if that's where some young lady in your group wants to go, then you end up going to the "trendy" place to see them there.
    I'm out of his tread but here's a piece of advice.
    If there are that many "arsehole" members of the professions mentioned earlier on, and specifically in bouncing, try avoid that venue in future. If enough people think the same thing about the bouncers there and vote with their feet those guys wont be there that long.
    An honestly, they are not all arseholes out to ruin your night.
    I did. I would never go back near those places unless I had to. Hence the satisfaction when I saw some of them were under receivership. as for not all of them being arseholes, yeah I sure that's the case. The problem is that it only takes one on the door to be. And I've never heard one bouncer contradict the other one with a "ah sure go on Mick. Let him in he's grand"

I never had problems with them inside a pub/club -> Probably due to always being sober. Just an odd idiot on a door. And I'd never give them the satisfaction of arguing with them

No, a 24yr old doesnt have to carry ID. If you get ID'ed and you dont have it, then thats your own problem.

I genuinely don't fully understand what you're saying here.

If you are over 21 but you don't have ID it's your problem?

Well because....

If i know someone is 19/20, i will not ID them. If they dont have their ID on them and a guard enters the club to check on people then its their problem.

I genuinely don't fully understand what you're saying here.

If you are over 21 but you don't have ID it's your problem?

If you are 23 and get ID'ed and dont have it then tell the doorman that you are 23 and dont have to carry it. Anyone with a brain can tell the difference between a 23 yr old and a 17yr old trying to blag his way in.

If i know someone is 19/20, i will not ID them. If they dont have their ID on them and a guard enters the club to check on people then its their problem.
    Using this logic, if you let a load of 12 year olds in and then then a guard entered the club and found them it would be "their problem".

Lets apply the original question to your example though.

A 19 year old you know is 19 enters your club without ID, because you are 100% confident he is of legal age.

A Garda enters the club to check people for ID. He also knows this 19 year old personally, and knows that he is old enough to drink.

Has a law been broken? And if so, why would it not be your problem since you let him in?

If you are 23 and get ID'ed and dont have it then tell the doorman that you are 23 and dont have to carry it. Anyone with a brain can tell the difference between a 23 yr old and a 17yr old trying to blag his way in.

I dunno man, I'm over 30 but if I shave I still look like a kid. Never met any bouncer as reasonable as yourself.

Using this logic, if you let a load of 12 year olds in and then then a guard entered the club and found them it would be "their problem".

Lets apply the original question to your example though.

A 19 year old you know is 19 enters your club without ID, because you are 100% confident he is of legal age.

A Garda enters the club to check people for ID. He also knows this 19 year old personally, and knows that he is old enough to drink.

Has a law been broken? And if so, why would it not be your problem since you let him in?

If a guard knows he is old enough to be in the club, then i doubt an issue would be made of it.

If someone arrives at the door with no id and starts with the usual "Aw but im 19", they will be told that they legally have to carry ID until they are 21. I dont see how you are not understanding this.

I dunno man, I'm over 30 but if I shave I still look like a kid. Never met any bouncer as reasonable as yourself.

If you are over 30 then there is no way i would mistake you for a 17yr old. And if it did happen that i asked for ID your reaction would be enough for me, a 30yr old being asked for ID will laugh, a 17yr old will get nervous.

If a guard knows he is old enough to be in the club, then i doubt an issue would be made of it.

If someone arrives at the door with no id and starts with the usual "Aw but im 19", they will be told that they legally have to carry ID until they are 21. I dont see how you are not understanding this.

I worked on a door and the chap that was with me refused entry to chap because he had no ID. When he came back with his passport he was 24 :).

• Advertisement

So you're saying that you legally have to carry it, but you're not breaking the law if you don't? Do you understand how laws work?
    So you're saying you just fob them off with that excuse, or does this law (which can be broken without breaking the law...) actually exists?

Also, is this notion of 'valid ID' legitimate? I've seen bouncers reject people because they had an expired passport (corner cut off), which they kept for the sole purpose of it being less risky to bring out. They were attempting to enter a nightclub, not travel abroad.

It was my understanding that there is no requirement for ID, merely a law that U18s cannot purchase alcohol and that asking for ID was a way to reassure the doorstaff that the punter is of drinking age. So say for example (and this is an exaggerated hypothetical!) somebody attempts to get into your club. They have no passport, drivers license or AgeCard. They do have a birth cert, several credit cards, several work/college photo ID cards and some bank statements. Can you let this person in?

Advertisement