Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bouncers/ Clubs rights

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I worked on a door and the chap that was with me refused entry to chap because he had no ID. When he came back with his passport he was 24 :).

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Melion wrote: »
    If you are over 30 then there is no way i would mistake you for a 17yr old.

It even happened to me in the supermarket. I was buying a 6-pack and the girl asks me for ID. I says, I only have an Irish DL on me (I'm in UK). She looks at it, asks me where's the DOB on it, and when I point it out proceeded to get really embarrassed.

It's the curse of the incredibly good looking. I know other lads with the same problem, but WAY more girls who get ID'd all the time even though they're lat 20's, early 30's. But they love it...

So you're saying that you legally have to carry it, but you're not breaking the law if you don't? Do you understand how laws work?

So you're saying you just fob them off with that excuse, or does this law (which can be broken without breaking the law...) actually exists?

Also, is this notion of 'valid ID' legitimate? I've seen bouncers reject people because they had an expired passport (corner cut off), which they kept for the sole purpose of it being less risky to bring out. They were attempting to enter a nightclub, not travel abroad.

It was my understanding that there is no requirement for ID, merely a law that U18s cannot purchase alcohol and that asking for ID was a way to reassure the doorstaff that the punter is of drinking age. So say for example (and this is an exaggerated hypothetical!) somebody attempts to get into your club. They have no passport, drivers license or AgeCard. They do have a birth cert, several credit cards, several work/college photo ID cards and some bank statements. Can you let this person in?

An expired passport(with the corners cut off) is not a valid form of ID as it has expired. I also worked airline security so know all about passports.

So?

So he shouldn't have needed ID in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

So?

so? I cant believe you just posted that :).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

An expired passport(with the corners cut off) is not a valid form of ID as it has expired. I also worked airline security so know all about passports.
    So you would let a 19 year old in with no ID, but you wouldn't let somebody in who had a passport with a photo that's clearly them, proving they were old enough - because it has expired?

Do you see how this inconsistency is confusing?

Mr. Boo wrote: »

If he had politely told the doorman, "Look im 24, ive left my ID at home because i didnt think id need it" you can bet your arse that he would have been let it.

I know, i would have let him in as it was plain to see that he was in his 20's. The chap that refused him was just being a dick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

funniest post in ages, 40 young lads and no one was drunk yea right, lad fell on his arse because ground was a bit wet? yea right.

If a bouncer thinks its not the person in the I.D they have every right not to let the person in. just sounds like they didnt want to let you into get your coats because you were drunk

If he had politely told the doorman, "Look im 24, ive left my ID at home because i didnt think id need it" you can bet your arse that he would have been let it.

That would depend on who was working the door. And if you disagree with that, you are lying to everyone including yourself.

• Advertisement

So you would let a 19 year old in with no ID, but you wouldn't let somebody in who had a passport with a photo that's clearly them, proving they were old enough - because it has expired?

Do you see how this inconsistency is confusing?

Its not inconsistent and i never said i wouldnt let them in. I have had this situation happen countless times before, ive told them that i will allow them in that night but its not a valid form of ID and to get a proper one sorted.

Not by this chap. He was checking everyones ID'S regardless of how old they looked like.

That would depend on who was working the door. And if you disagree with that, you are lying to everyone including yourself.

Of course it depends on that, any decent doorman will let them in.

Its not inconsistent and i never said i wouldnt let them in. I have had this situation happen countless times before, ive told them that i will allow them in that night but its not a valid form of ID and to get a proper one sorted.
    So you need a valid ID, but it's not a valid ID, but you will let them in, but next time you won't let them in.

That's not inconsistent?

Is there a law saying you must have a valid passport/agecard to enter a nightclub, or is there law just that you must be over 18? Not trying to prove a point here, genuine question. If it's the latter, and you simply request for ID to cover yourselves since you can't be expected to know everyone's exact age, then I understand that.

Of course it depends on that, any decent doorman will let them in.

unless they didnt like his appearance :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

So you need a valid ID, but it's not a valid ID, but you will let them in, but next time you won't let them in.

That's not inconsistent?

Is there a law saying you must have a valid passport/agecard to enter a nightclub, or is there law just that you must be over 18? Not trying to prove a point here, genuine question. If it's the latter, and you simply request for ID to cover yourselves since you can't be expected to know everyone's exact age, then I understand that.
    It's illegal for a licensed premises to allow a person aged between 18 and 21 to be on the premises after 9pm unless they can produce valid proof of age.

That's not inconsistent?

Answered by someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

In regards to the CCTV footage, your friend is legally entitled to look at CCTV footage of him in the niteclub under the data protection act.
    I posted the link and a quote saying how to go about it getting the footage.

The data protection act is very powerful and i had some interesting fun with MBNA and text messages they were sending to my father about an unpaid credit card bill. He never had a MBNA credit card in his life. I used to the Data Protection Acts to make them squirm a bit as to where they got his number.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=242

Access Requests

Any person whose image has been recorded has a right to be given a copy of the information recorded. To exercise that right, a person must make an application in writing. A data controller may charge up to €6.35 for responding to such a request and must respond within 40 days.

Practically, a person should provide necessary information to a data controller, such as the date, time and location of the recording. If the image is of such poor quality as not to clearly identify an individual, that image may not be considered to be personal data.

In giving a person a copy of his/her data, the data controller may provide a still/series of still pictures, a tape or a disk with relevant images. However, other people's images should be obscured before the data are released.

irishgeo wrote: »
    In regards to the CCTV footage, your friend is legally entitled to look at CCTV footage of him in the niteclub under the data protection act.

The data protection act is very powerful and i had some interesting fun with MBNA and text messages they were sending to my father about an unpaid credit card bill. He never had a MBNA credit card in his life. I used to the Data Protection Acts to make them squirm a bit as to where they got his number.

He has no entitlement to be shown the video on the spot which is what the OP wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sounds just like a 'hen not'. its when you walk into a pub, see a gang of screaming drunk women wearing pink cowboy hats and immediately turn on your heel and leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

He has no entitlement to be shown the video on the spot which is what the OP wanted.

The OP wasn't specific about that and the refusal was absolute.

humbert wrote: »
    The OP wasn't specific about that and the refusal was absolute.

Yes he was, said it twice and i answered him twice.

Adyx wrote: »
    It's illegal for a licensed premises to allow a person aged between 18 and 21 to be on the premises after 9pm unless they can produce valid proof of age.
    Thanks. Without meaning to sound like a dick, do you have a source for that? I only ask because it's absurd. Like in my earlier example, a 20 year old enjoying a quiet pint by himself in a pub would therefore be kicked out even if the bouncer and Gardai both knew he was 20.

Thanks. Without meaning to sound like a dick, do you have a source for that? I only ask because it's absurd. Like in my earlier example, a 20 year old enjoying a quiet pint by himself in a pub would therefore be kicked out even if the bouncer and Gardai both knew he was 20.

Every pub and club should have it on a sign somewhere on the premises.
    White sheet with red and black writing on it.

Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 - Section 34A

Edit: I know this hasn't come up yet but it always does in these sort of threads. It is perfectly legal for a premises to refuse entry/service to a person over 18 if they have an over 21s only policy or whatever provided it's enforced in good faith and there is a prominently displayed sign advertising this. I know it's not relevant to the discussion at hand but I thought I'd nip it in the bud.

your correct , the request has to be in writing.

Yes he was, said it twice and i answered him twice.
    They asked to see it, presumable they would have preferred to see it there and then but there was no offer to make it available at all. I'm not surprised by this but the OP probably isn't aware that they do have a right to see it even if perhaps at a later date.

The right to refuse entry isn't the same as kicking out a customer who has paid in without cause.

Cheers.

That is mental btw... over 100 times I would have been facing a €1500-2000 fine :pac: thug lyf

Interesting that a drivers license is accepted ID. I have seen Dunnes refuse to sell alcohol to someone with a license. One time they refused to sell me alcohol (I was 22 and had a passport) because my friend (21) only had a driver's license.

On the bouncers hiding the security ID , they broke the law, judging by the wording of the act.

Its impossible to read some of the acts of law we write.
    Private Security Services Act 2004 , Section 29 states the following.

Identity cards.

29.—(1) The Authority shall issue an identity card to each individual who is a licensee.

(2) Each such individual—

(a) shall have the identity card in his or her possession when providing the security service authorised by the licence, and

(b) shall, on request, produce it there and then for inspection by any person for whom the licensee is providing a security service under the licence and permit such a person to inspect it.

(3) A member of the Garda Síochána may require an individual who in the member's opinion is providing a security service to produce there and then for inspection by the member the identity card issued to the individual in connection with the grant of a licence authorising the provision of the service.

(4) An individual who produces an identity card in accordance with subsection (3) shall permit the person to whom it is produced to inspect it.

(5) Where an individual does not comply with subsection (3) or (4), the member of the Garda Síochána concerned may require the individual to give his or her name and address.

(6) The powers conferred on a member of the Garda Síochána by subsections (3) and (5) may also be exercised by an inspector.

(7) (a) In this subsection “identity card” includes an identity card or other form of identification issued by a corresponding authority.

(b) An individual shall not—

(i) produce for inspection an identity card issued to another individual, or

(ii) with intent to deceive, make or use a document purporting to be an identity card, alter an identity card or use an altered identity card.

(c) An individual who contravenes paragraph (b) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €3,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both.

(8) A member of the Garda Síochána may arrest without warrant—

(a) an individual who refuses to produce the identity card issued to him or her when required to do so under subsection (3) or does not permit the person to whom an identity card is produced under subsection (3) to inspect it,

(b) an individual who—

(i) does not give his or her name and address when required by a person under subsection (5) to do so, or

(ii) gives a name or address which that person reasonably believes to be false,

or

(c) an individual whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects of having contravened subsection (7)(b).

(9) An individual who—

(a) contravenes subsection (2)(a) or (4), or

(b) does not comply with a request under subsection (2)(b) or a requirement under subsection (3) or (5),

is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €2,000.

(10) It is a defence in proceedings for an offence under subsection (2) or (3) for the defendant to prove that he or she had a reasonable excuse for not complying with the subsection concerned.

The bit in italics has me confused does it mean anyone can demand to see the ID of the bouncer?

• Advertisement

On the bouncers hiding the security ID , they broke the law, judging by the wording of the act.

The bit in italics has me confused does it mean anyone can demand to see the ID of the bouncer?
    I can't see any other interpretation. Certainly once the person has paid in the are being provided security by the club owner.

One would assume the license holder is providing a security service for their clientèle, so yes.

But again, it makes no difference in practise because a bouncer can just tell the guards he did show them it, the punter was aggressive and then slipped over and broke their nose on the curb. In fact the bouncer could tell the Gardai that a unicorn rode down the street and kicked f**k out of the guy and they'd take their word over a drunk person, particularly a student.

humbert wrote: »
    I can't see any other interpretation. Certainly once the person has paid in the are being provided security by the club owner.

that is what i thought it said but christ they do word it backwards.

Once they are in the club the bouncer is providing a security service to the patron and therefore the patron can demand to see it.

The OP could technically complain to the PSA about the bouncers not showing them thier ID but the last line of section 29 has a get out clause for the bouncers.

Its amazing what you can learn for reading the laws of the land. its a shame no could simplify them in plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

People do not get kicked out for no reason, it does not happen

Maybe not kicked out, but not being let in could be for the most trivial, if any, reason. They were so notorious for it in Cork they got their own song:

One would assume the license holder is providing a security service for their clientèle, so yes.

But again, it makes no difference in practise because a bouncer can just tell the guards he did show them it, the punter was aggressive and then slipped over and broke their nose on the curb. In fact the bouncer could tell the Gardai that a unicorn rode down the street and kicked f**k out of the guy and they'd take their word over a drunk person, particularly a student.

I dunno...I know a few Gardaí who don't trust bouncers either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 p1nm101

Thank you after about 180 useless replies thats what i wanted to know, as im only 18 i obviously admit I dont know all of my rights and thats why im here, not to prove to people that none of us out of the 40 odd were drunk entering the place and that we wernt there to try and cause trouble.

A lot of people here seem to think that a group of friends (not 40 lads btw, 40 people) cant go out to a club without being absolutly hammered. We were on the bus home because we kept drinking after but going into the club no one was drunk, everyone only had 2 or maybe 3 cans at that stage.

And the lads slagging us, on a forum, at 1, on a Saturday night.....

• Advertisement

I dunno...I know a few Gardaí who don't trust bouncers either. :)
    There is quite a fraternal thing amongst Gardai, and also amongst bouncers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mutual 'respect' though. They obviously work in cohesion and it would be pretty naive to suggest they don't do 'favours' for each other.

Cheers.

That is mental btw... over 100 times I would have been facing a €1500-2000 fine :pac: thug lyf

Interesting that a drivers license is accepted ID. I have seen Dunnes refuse to sell alcohol to someone with a license. One time they refused to sell me alcohol (I was 22 and had a passport) because my friend (21) only had a driver's license.
    There's another section in that act I think that goes into detail on what are acceptable forms of id. I can't remember the wording off the top of my head but basically only production a Garda Age Card will be accepted as a defence if a licensee is brought to court for serving under-age people. Effectively, while many premises may accept a drivers licence or passport, as far as I understand it, the only one they "must" accept is an Age Card.

Hmm I may be wrong there, it was a section of the 2000 Act I was thinking of, it's worded differently in the 2003 Act.

There is quite a fraternal thing amongst Gardai, and also amongst bouncers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mutual 'respect' though. They obviously work in cohesion and it would be pretty naive to suggest they don't do 'favours' for each other.

You're veering dangerously into 'theories' now though. :)

They certainly do

You're veering dangerously into 'theories' now though. :)
    I was for all of 2 minutes!

• Advertisement

p1nm101 wrote: »
    Thank you after about 180 useless replies thats what i wanted to know, as im only 18 i obviously admit I dont know all of my rights and thats why im here, not to prove to people that none of us out of the 40 odd were drunk entering the place and that we wernt there to try and cause trouble.

A lot of people here seem to think that a group of friends (not 40 lads btw, 40 people) cant go out to a club without being absolutly hammered. We were on the bus home because we kept drinking after but going into the club no one was drunk, everyone only had 2 or maybe 3 cans at that stage.

Stick it in writing you want to see the CCTV footage of the night, your only entitled to see footage you appear . Make sure you quote the Act in the letter.
    Say it like Under the Data Protection Act , i am requesting that you provide me footage of the CCTV system of the night etc etc.
    Also you make sure that you mention they have 40 days to respond otherwise you will lodging a complaint with Data Protection Commissioner.

If anything it will make do a bit of extra work and make them a whole load of work.
    There's another section in that act I think that goes into detail on what are acceptable forms of id. I can't remember the wording off the top of my head but basically only production a Garda Age Card will be accepted as a defence if a licensee is brought to court for serving under-age people. Effectively, while many premises may accept a drivers licence or passport, as far as I understand it, the only one they "must" accept is an Age Card.

Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 - Section 34A doesnt say that.
    15.—The Act of 1988 is amended by inserting the following section after section 34:

“Production of evidence of age by persons between 18 and 21 years.

34A.—(1) The holder of a licence of any licensed premises shall not allow a person who is aged at least 18 years but under the age of 21 years to be in the bar of those premises between 9.00 p.m. and 10.30 a.m. on the following day (12.30 p.m. if the following day is a Sunday) if the person does not produce an age document to the holder.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section ‘age document’ means a document containing a photograph of the person in respect of whom it was issued and information that enables the age of the person to be determined and being one of the following documents relating to a person referred to in that subsection:

(a) an age card referred to in section 40 of this Act,

(b) a passport,

(c) an identity card issued by a member state of the European Communities,

(d) a driver licence, or

(e) a document issued by a body, and in a form, prescribed by regulations made by the Minister.

(3) A person referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall not be in the bar of licensed premises between the times referred to in that subsection while not having with him or her an age document.

(4) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section is guilty of an offence under this section and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding—

(a) for a first offence, €1,500, or

(b) for a second or any subsequent offence, €2,000.

(5) A person who contravenes subsection (3) of this section is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €300.”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Asking for footage of a nightclub on you is going to be very difficult, and probably not going to work, how is the club going to know it's you on the footage?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Asking for footage of a nightclub on you is going to be very difficult, and probably not going to work, how is the club going to know it's you on the footage?

The law is the law.

Intoxicating Liquor Act states they must have CCTV if you want to serve alcohol in a niteclub and for the renewal of liqour licence, the law states that the fire officer has to confirm its working.

The data protection act states your entitled to view any footage contained of you on security footage.

i bet they would have no trouble picking you out of it if they wanted too.It not a shabby CCTV system they would have invested in, i bet it could pick you out of a crowd with no problem. How else do they find the drug dealers and people who start fights etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

p1nm101 wrote: »

Most clubs will deny entry to a large unexpected group, especially of that age. Intoxication isn't a major factor first off to the bouncers, the possibility of damage to the premise is.

Pre loading of alcohol combined with the rowdy nature of the pack regardless of sex can lead to a messy mob. Might be sober now, but someone will get drunk quick.

My experience with groups of that size is we generally end up kicking most of them out within 30min of entry.

Looking for the CCTV footage isn't going to happen on the night. No amount of asking is going to get it. Quote the data protection act on the night you'll be swiftly told in a not so polite manner where to go.
    You'll have to get a legal letter of some sort to get access to the cctv footage from most clubs/bars. We could open ourselves up to other possible legal implications by showing it to any Joe Soap.

Bouncers can refuse right of admission to anyone.
    What most people don't understand and forget is they are working under the instruction of a manager. That manager is probably outside giving the nod of yes or no to groups that walk to the door.

You're only 18. When moving around in a large group like that you need to approach the door as small mixed groups. Less threatening to the bouncers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Rabies wrote: »
    You're only 18. When moving around in a large group like that you need to approach the door as small mixed groups. Less threatening to the bouncers

yeah then half of them pay to get in, only to have one mini group stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

yeah then half of them pay to get in, only to have one mini group stopped

Much higher chance of them all getting in as a small group instead of as a pack.

No different to telling all your friends to meet in a club at 11pm, every turns but little spotty faced Johnny is stuck outside with Jancinta because he wore his best Nike tracksuit and she had a small bottle of vodka in her bag. I'm sure they're great people and sober on arrival too. But the bouncers picked up on something they didn't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Someone said that a bouncer dose not have to give you there name. This is correct, they are obliged to give you there ID number and display there ID card at all times. If they do not do either it is not in accordance with the licence issued and would be acting unlicensed.

But then again this is the PSA we are talking about and that's a joke.

Also suggesting that Garda and bouncers are the singing from the same hymm sheet is a joke, the work of the Garda far out reaches the work of a bouncer a thousand time over.

LAW

http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/the_private_security_services_act.pdf

ID Request , 29, 2 Sub B
    Cards shown all times, 30, 5 Sub C

Word of the wise, don't let the bouncers get too you. They do actually provide a service and make most clubs a safer environments like all jobs there ****. But unlike most jobs, if one dose not like you. Don't expect someone to think your great. It's a click once one says no just walk away there's no chance after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you have a group of 40 people and whoever organised it didn't call the club ahead of time to say that a large group would be arriving then they are not very good at organizing. It's not hard to do and if you are lucky you'll get a straight up refusal for a group of that size over the phone rather than when you actually arrive at the club.

I have only twice been refused or removed from pubs/clubs. The first time I was horrendously drunk and certainly deserved it. The second time I was suffering from a huge amount of back pain and when I was getting up it looked like I was hammered because I was awkward. The problem was I wasn't sober enough to argue my point. That time it happened in my regular haunt where I spend a lot of money. I was actually glad of it because I was broke anyway and needed to go home.

I don't see a point in arguing with bouncers, as I said, I have rarely been removed, but I have a friend who was constantly refused entry into all but "his" bars, it took us a while to figure out that when he was walking at the back of us up to a place he didn't want to go to he would act like he was coked and yoked just to get us refused. (He has eyes that looked out of it all the time). He would play up to it while the rest of us were trying to get in because he's a cnut.

My point is, bouncers rarely have "no" reason to refuse someone, if you are getting refused a lot, look at yourself objectively and find the problem, because you can rest assured the problem IS you. The pub wants your money, but doesn't want your trouble, if you look like trouble they shouldn't let you in, it's profiling sure, but if it's in the interest of keeping other patrons safe then that's OK in my book, it's a private establishment after all.

Rabies wrote: »
    Much higher chance of them all getting in as a small group instead of as a pack.

No different to telling all your friends to meet in a club at 11pm, every turns but little spotty faced Johnny is stuck outside with Jancinta because he wore his best Nike tracksuit and she had a small bottle of vodka in her bag. I'm sure they're great people and sober on arrival too. But the bouncers picked up on something they didn't like.

Would bouncers really refuse entry for that? Surely just confiscating it is enough? Despite the supposed fantastic pay they're on surely they understand how routinely the average punter in Ireland gets ripped off for drinks.

Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 - Section 34A doesnt say that.
    I know it doesn't. That's why I said in my post another section. I specifically said production of an age card may be used as a defence in cases of under-age people being served.

While passports and drivers licences may be accepted as proof of age, that doesn't mean they have to be. Most supermarkets that I am aware of will only accept an age card for example. Anyway this hardly relevant to this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement