Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you aware ...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Meh. It's very easy to hide yourself if you know how.

Really ? elaborate please... devil in the detail as they say....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's a recent TED talk about this sort of tracking. Adjust your tin foil head ornaments accordingly..

Malte Spitz: Your phone company is watching

http://www.ted.com/talks/malte_spitz_your_phone_company_is_watching.html

---

I'm interested in what kind of patterns pop up, not about my actual participation in any data set, but the overall picture. It must be interesting to sift through the figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ArseLtd wrote: »
    That phone companies can read every text message you send and receive? They can also record a phone call if they wish. They know who the phone numbers belong to because you sign up and give your name for free credit. They know your whereabouts by what phone mast your phone is using. Facebook have most peoples phone numbers. Every website you look at also knows your ip address and where you are. They know your friends, interests ... Basically instead of paying spies we simply give over the info ourselves.

Yes, I have been aware of this.

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from humbert? Genuine question but can you dumb it down a small bit, just so I can understand you a bit more clearly?

As I understand it- any company looking to provide a service must abide by the laws in that country, and the EU allows for a certain amount of leeway within member states to make their own laws? This is one of the reasons Facebook fell foul of the Irish Data Protection Commissioner, and why the EU has decided to adopt the Irish approach-

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0927/1224324469715.html

Well, simply that telecommunications companies by virtue of their importance in the lives of private citizens and businesses alike are much more heavily regulated than your average private business.

The government licences out the radio frequencies to them and has an organisation (comreg) specifically for their regulation.

I don't believe it's reasonable to compare them to the likes of facebook which is just another website, albeit with a significant physical presence in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I always wondered what would happen if I started leaving extra little keywords within my texts and emails, over a couple of months.

"Hey, I'm bomb sorry I missed al-Qaeda you last night; we decided to stay in with a Blackbriar bottle of wine."

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I need tin foil, but they took it all!!!

/Sits with greaseproof paper hat on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Biggins wrote: »

So?

Ahh Biggins, lol, when I saw that you were the last poster in the thread I thought "Oh good, Biggins will have a well explained breakdown of Irish Law with regard to privacy and consumer rights!"...

OK then! :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You can find out what google knows about you here. if you have a gmail account or an android phone or use any of the google services including youtube.

https://www.google.com/dashboard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

And is it true that Vodafone charge 30 cent for using a fada?

Like on the 'a' in Sean. Or Pairaic. Or Siobhan etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

humbert wrote: »
    Well, simply that telecommunications companies by virtue of their importance in the lives of private citizens and businesses alike are much more heavily regulated than your average private business.

The government licences out the radio frequencies to them and has an organisation (comreg) specifically for their regulation.

I don't believe it's reasonable to compare them to the likes of facebook which is just another website, albeit with a significant physical presence in Ireland.

I think we're essentially in agreement then humbert, it was just that the point I thought the OP was making was the usual conspiracy nonsense about how all our communications are being monitored by government, by corporate entities, etc, and how there is no such thing as privacy any more, etc.

The point I was making is that you don't have to make their job easier by willingly submitting this information to them, by using services that are obliged to submit your data to government upon request or otherwise. These stipulations will be clearly laid out in black and white, and if you want to use any service, even those infrastructure services such as telecoms providers and so forth, then you must agree to their terms and conditions laid out before you use their service.

Most sensible people DO read the small print and are aware that their communications are monitored if they use that service, but then there are a few that do not, and seek to cry "foul" when they realise that their communications can be monitored and passed on to third parties or government.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

I thought this was common knowledge but tbh unless you are looking up thing or texting things you shouldn't be I think your ok

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

Beckles wrote: »
    I just googled 'how to make scones'.

I'm sure they're keeping tabs on me.

you filthy cow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

Biggins wrote: »

So?

Sow barley. You answered the question, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Perfectly ok with it, your information is useless and not viable for anything.

Anyways, you're posting on a forum where your IP address has given more than enough information..........................information that has no use whatsoever.

The only thing your information anywhere is used for is for advertisements which creates a bigger chance of a company getting a profit from you rather than monitoring your digital fingerprint.

Unless you're a super secretive spy, you have zero to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

So three and 02 have recordings of me and a lady having nosiey phone sex :D

Awesome :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

This adds nothing to the thread but it made me remember that my ex registered his pay as you go phone online for free credit, gave his name as fanny flaps, why i don't know, completely forgot until he went for an upgrade a couple years later and they asked for his name, hilariously awkward moment for him which i did not make any better by laughing uncontrollably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm not as worried about phones as much as I am about the internet, tbh (she says, posting on the internet :pac:). I see people on Facebook allowing access to all their info, putting up their location, having every post followed by "Posted X min ago from Dublin", updating their Timeline to include events from years ago, giving every single little fact about themselves... It's a bit scary when you realise that you're essentially telling a faceless stranger everything there is to know about you. Not only that, but they can use tracking cookies to see what other sites you use (not sure if that's still happening but there was a lot of fuss about it a while back) and they know what type of device you're using and where you are every time you log in.

I have a Facebook account, but I have the privacy and security settings ramped up as high as they go and I'm careful not to go overboard with the info I give online. People always complain about "the government" or "the guards" wanting info on them, but then they're happy to give it all to multinational corporations. Sometimes I think we're creating our own 1984...

(*puts on tin foil hat* :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The irony of this thread, on a forum which notes our IP, logs everything we write in plain text, and has loads of ads aimed at the poster. And then you complain about phone companies doing the same.

How odd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Can they fcuk tell my location. Not one of the ads for Adult Friend Finder has told me there are women waiting for me in Carlow. Not one.
    http://xkcd.com/713/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of people died in the Rwandan genocide because their ID card was marked.

Similar thing with records detailing the ID of Dutch Jews during WWII

All you can do is hope to hide in the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Skynet TotesAmazballs 2012

Yes.

Heres a good video on the subject. Fast forward to about 3:45 if you're feeling a bit tldr/tldv

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Perfectly ok with it, your information is useless and not viable for anything.

Not viable for anything? In the video i posted the man questions what would have happened if everyone had a phone in 1989? This was when the Berlin wall was being taken down/protested.

Well the powers at the time would known where everyone was, who talked to who, who were the leaders. It gives a good idea of the population and who's likely to spark a revolt.

In 1916 if we had phones. In the years leading up to 1916 it would be easy to spot the troublemakers. Who's to say the powers are any different now? Or in 20 years time?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

It occured to me only when I started to use O2's webtex service.

In taking the opportunity to look back at all the crazy shìte I'd sent I thought: "what to stop them reading this, then taking a shine to me and listening to my phone convos too"

what to stop them reading this, then taking a shine to me and listening to my phone convos too"
    Voice recognition software existed back in the 1980's and it could trigger recording when certain keywords were spoken. There was that floor in the Belfast telephone exchange that the lifts didn't go to.

Nowadays a codec that stores speech at 2400bps means you can store over 100 years on a 1 TB drive. If you use speech to text then you can store way more.

Irish mobile phone users pay about twice what our Eu cousins pay and Eircom line rental is about twice Eu average. That money must be going somewhere and hard drives are cheap.

Also you can safely assume that UK/US/Oz/Nz/Canada are monitoring any cables they are connected to or company they own
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

You can pretty much assume that any big software or telecoms from US / China / Israel has back doors for government snoops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

They are welcome to my txts.....

Hey - hows things?
    Grand. What ya up to?
    Nothing......you?
    Same :(
    Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vores

I weep for the poor soul that may have come across my texts. It's more of a punishment, really.

Advertisement