Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert 2013 Exam Prediction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SomberClaws

Ok now I am worried. O.o

Im doing, the Lake Isle of Innisfree,
    Tich Miller
    But you didnt
    Midterm break

AND MAYBE The wild swans at coole ;c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

But you didnt is such a sad poem

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BradyShim

Hi Im just wondering is it a good idea to have a short story learned off for the HL english exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Val97

BradyShim wrote: »
    Hi Im just wondering is it a good idea to have a short story learned off for the HL english exam?

Im planning on writhing an essay iv done before again if it fits in! :)

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    But you didnt is such a sad poem

I know! It's a good poem :) midterm break is also really sad:( 'a four foot box, a foot for every year' :'(

• Advertisement

I know! It's a good poem :) midterm break is also really sad:( 'a four foot box, a foot for every year' :'(

I kinda think it's cute rather than sad lol..

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    I kinda think it's cute rather than sad lol..

CUTE O.O -backs away slowly-

CUTE O.O -backs away slowly-

cute eyes :))))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

BradyShim wrote: »
    I'd only recommend learning off a short story from the point of view that you might use a character from it or a scenario of it, but obviously don't try to use a prepared story unless it definitely fits with the title, students lose marks every year by doing this (an experienced marker can tell!).
    Creating an interesting character, and/or writing out a few outlines of possible short stories would be more beneficial to you in my opinion.
    Sample essay outlines that would be very broad (and therefore useful) would be things like 'problem solved', 'a long journey', 'the best days of our lives', 'a beautiful place', etc
    Useful characters to 'build' might be a teenager with a secret, or a man who has recently lost his job (because of the recession of course!) or a young person about to emigrate, or a Junior Cert student with an unusual home life, etc etc... give them hobbies and personality traits etc, bear in mind that character development is very important in a short story so having a good strong character in mind before the exam will save you some time and effort on the day.
    Worked for me anyway (Junior Cert Higher level A, Leaving Cert Higher level A1)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Hey guys just wanted to tell you that Modh Chonniolcha for Irish Grammar is going to come up, don't ask me how I know but at least revise it.

• Advertisement

Hey guys just wanted to tell you that Modh Chonniolcha for Irish Grammar is going to come up, don't ask me how I know but at least revise it.

Is it because
    2010=past
    2011=present
    2012=future

2013=MC?

XD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You don't know. Nobody does.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    You don't know. Nobody does.

Ok :)

Is it because
    2010=past
    2011=present
    2012=future

2013=MC?

XD

No ;) but it is a nice pattern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

My teacher didn't even cover that tense you guys are talking about ... can anyone give me a quick rundown? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

No ;) but it is a nice pattern

What about the briathar saor? That could come up too.

My teacher didn't even cover that tense you guys are talking about ... can anyone give me a quick rundown? :)

i gave a summary of it in the 'junior cert so close' thread (only regulars though)

What about the briathar saor? That could come up too.

You're right but isn't briathra saor like part of all the other tenses too?

You're right but isn't briathra saor like part of all the other tenses too?

I suppose, but it could come up on its own too.

Seriously guys, don't worry too much. Nobody (no matter how positive they are about it) knows what's coming up on the exam. The only people who know are those who wrote the questions and I'm pretty sure they don't know if their question will be used until it's handed out nationwide. Remember, there's a couple of back-up papers too in cased anything gets linked. So, anything could come up.

Personally I think they might throw AF or AL in this year to get rid of the pattern and throw people off. Just like they do every now and again with the postcard/note question in French. Postcard came up in 2012 and 2011, even though people were convinced a note would come up in 2011 because of a pattern.

Moral of the story: Don't trust patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 tvtvgogo

Is anyone learning two poems by the same poet for comparison ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

tvtvgogo wrote: »

Yep "Digging" and "The Early Purges" by Heaney

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fabian2205

Yeah, dulce and base details just in case. I doubt the comparison question will come up though.

Early Purges and Mid-Term Break by Seamus Heaney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leecamp25

Do you think a question about a poet will come up? Where you have to discuss his techniques etc... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

leecamp25 wrote: »
    Do you think a question about a poet will come up? Where you have to discuss his techniques etc... :)

Highly doubt it.

Would love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leecamp25

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Highly doubt it.

I thought it was unlikely myself. I'm just considering wether it's worth the time to revise another Seamus Heaney Poem. I have covered a number of them in class but only really know Mid-Term Break in any depth.

I'm hoping a question that I can use use Dulce et Decorum est in will come up though as I would be more comfortable with it.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and hope everything will be ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Fabian2205

I thought it was unlikely myself. I'm just considering wether it's worth the time to revise another Seamus Heaney Poem. I have covered a number of them in class but only really know Mid-Term Break in any depth.

I'm hoping a question that I can use use Dulce et Decorum est in will come up though as I would be more comfortable with it.

You can answer practically all the q's with dulce.

Advertisement