Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert 2013 Exam Prediction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Val97

KatieG6 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    For History my teacher predicted Revolutions. I have not got a clue on anything in history.
    For english I'm hoping that the poetry question will be something like 'name a poem that is appeals to you'. How many poems are you studying for the poetry question. My teacher is telling us to learn 8 but is that really necessary?
    Tich Miller (theme-bullying)
    The Lake Isle of Inisfree (theme nature)
    But you didn't (theme love)
    The Wild Swans at Coole (theme nature)
    Back in the playground Blues (theme bullying)
    Advice to a teenage daughter(theme love)
    Dulce et Decorum est (theme war)
    Base Details(theme war)

Learn Base Details and But you didn't anyway cause you can also use them if something about comparrison comes up!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Dulce et decorum est also covers a lot. Everything from sound imagery to "My grandfather was in WWI, so this poem means a lot to me and my family".

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

Thanks guys :):)
    I'm panicking like crazy, I'm just staring at English notes and they wont go in my head. I haven't studied anything yet!
    What does everyone predict that will come up for geography, business studies or home ec?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 juniors

Im only studying one poem for english im sure I could twist it to fit at least one of the two questions I definetly wouldnt try to learn eight in detail

• Registered Users Posts: 33 juniors

I'm panicking like crazy, I'm just staring at English notes and they wont go in my head. I haven't studied anything yet!
    What does everyone predict that will come up for geography, business studies or home ec?

For my drama and novel in english im just making short notes about important quotes and themes and learning them off for geography look through your exam papers and you should see a pattern same for home ec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

For the Irish stories I'm studying

An Gadaí
    Calua
    An tÁdh

For the poetry it's:

An Cnagaire
    An tÓzon
    Reoiteog Mharfach

For the English poems I'm studying:

The Early Purges
    Lake Isle of Inisfree
    Dulce et Decorum Est
    Blackberry Picking
    And maybe Timothy Winters if I can find some notes on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I don't get why teachers are giving you guys all these poems to study. I only basically have two english poems covered and they cover every theme imaginable.

I don't get why teachers are giving you guys all these poems to study. I only basically have two english poems covered and they cover every theme imaginable.

Yep, two poems chosen well can cover everything. I hate when people try to make things more complicated or harder than they have to be >:I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

What two? :/

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    What two? :/
    Mid-term break and Dulce Et Decorum Est will cover you. But sometimes BlackBerry picking can be handy if a question says if you like the poet. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Same stuff comes up in Business every year.

P1
    Budget
    Club Account
    Economics
    People at work
    (go over consumer and insurance too)

P2
    Ledger
    Documents
    Final Accounts
    Fill in question - Loan application, Business plan, you know those questions
    (also study delivery systems)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fabian2205

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Yep, two poems chosen well can cover everything. I hate when people try to make things more complicated or harder than they have to be >:I

Yeah, I agree. Two poems in detail is plenty.

Mid-term break and Dulce Et Decorum Est will cover you. But sometimes BlackBerry picking can be handy if a question says if you like the poet. :cool:

I've been told to not do Mid-Term Break because every other student is doing it. I might just narrow it down to The Early Purges, Blackberry Picking and Dulce. I already know most of them since I've done them for the past three years.

Stooped wrote: »
    I've been told to not do Mid-Term Break because every other student is doing it. I might just narrow it down to The Early Purges, Blackberry Picking and Dulce. I already know most of them since I've done them for the past three years.
    Now that's interesting! :eek: I'm getting thoughts about ditching Mid-Term altogether now :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

For Irish we were only taught one poem: Subh Millis

For English, I'm only focusing on: He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven, Mid-Term Break, Early Purges and Dulce et Decorum Est. I think I'll probably only end up doing the first one anyways, but it's handy to have a few back-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kaylee101

same, I've only learned Digging and The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I hope the poem question is just something like 'You are offered the chance to add a poem to a book "Best Poems for the Teenage Mind". State what poem you'd pick and explain why'.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

But what would you do if you got asked about a poem with the theme of bullying, nature or a place?

But what would you do if you got asked about a poem with the theme of bullying, nature or a place?
    They won't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I don't think a question like that has ever come up. The only question I remember seeing that states specific themes was one were it said something like: ''Poems often deal with the theme of love or war. Choose a poem that deals with either the theme love or war'' or something like that.

I know a question about place came up a couple of years ago but there's always two questions! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

What do ye think is the chance of a studied poetry question being " Who is your favourite poet/ explain why etc" ?

What do ye think is the chance of a studied poetry question being " Who is your favourite poet/ explain why etc" ?

I'd say very unlikely, but that's a lovely question. You can just pretend the poet of the poem you studied is your favourite and explain why based on the poem. Say how they understand whatever the theme is well and explain their different techniques. Easy peasy.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I'd say very unlikely, but that's a lovely question. You can just pretend the poet of the poem you studied is your favourite and explain why based on the poem. Say how they understand whatever the theme is well and explain their different techniques. Easy peasy.

Although it does seem like a lovely question, I would be a bit wary of the actual depth of it. Really Heaney is the only poet I have studied in detail (i.e five or six of his poems analysed) so I'd just write about imagery, techniques, themes etc over the board of six poems (quotes)... I've done that in class and my teacher says to do well in a question like that you need to show a broad knowledge of a poet's work. I've done so many questions at this stage, I'm sick of it, but do you think I could use Yeats, Plath, Owen, Frost or Keats for this question even though I have only done one or two of their poems?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

I would strongly advise against predictions. You are only going to put yourself under more pressure when it comes to those final minutes before the exam starts. you'll start to panic and doubt yourself! Just try to revise as much as you can at this stage. :) you will be much better off :)

I've been there and done it :)

Although it does seem like a lovely question, I would be a bit wary of the actual depth of it. Really Heaney is the only poet I have studied in detail (i.e five or six of his poems analysed) so I'd just write about imagery, techniques, themes etc over the board of six poems (quotes)... I've done that in class and my teacher says to do well in a question like that you need to show a broad knowledge of a poet's work. I've done so many questions at this stage, I'm sick of it, but do you think I could use Yeats, Plath, Owen, Frost or Keats for this question even though I have only done one or two of their poems?
    I only did two Heaney poems but I know every line and how to use every line in both poems for my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

It's rare that they ask on a specific themed poem e.g War, Nature, Love, Bullying etc. Learn ones that fit the following questions:
    A poem that made you think
    A poem that is relevant to people your age
    A poem that uses language to create sound
    A poem that deals with an important issue

All the above are very broad questions so there is no need to learn countless amounts of poems.

I only did two Heaney poems but I know every line and how to use every line in both poems for my answer.

Ok, I feel better now! I think I'll stick with Heaney. When I say 'analysed' i mean picked apart and learned off by heart.

Yeah I just learned two Heaney poems and just use TILTT for each of them when you're comparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Val97

Stooped wrote: »
    Yeah I just learned two Heaney poems and just use TILTT for each of them when you're comparing.

Whats TILTT??

• Advertisement

Val97 wrote: »
    Whats TILTT??

It's what I was thought to write about when analysing a poem.4

Title
    Imagery
    Language
    Theme
    Tone

Advertisement