Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low recoiling semi autos

Options
  • 29-09-2012 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Due to currently being recovering from an injury that would be set back by heavy recoil I am thinking of changing my shotgun.

I have a Browning Ultra XS which has about 200 carts through it but I am thinking of trading it in to a dealer.

Other than the Beretta Semi Auto A391 Xtrema 2, are there any other 12 ga, semi autos out there that I should consider?

I have thought of having a recoil reducing system fitted to the XS but am not sure its the best way to go.

The gun will be used for rough shooting and a little bit of clay, sporting and flappers mainly.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You have abit of a quandry there.Low recoiling semis are generally heavy guns like the Remmy 1100/1187 or Auto 5.The lighter guns have no mass to absorb the recoil and can be IMO kickers..

What you could do,until you have recoverd and TBH it will kil just as well is maybe go down a gauge to a 20 Ga in either semi or DBBL?

Not as heavy to lug about rough shooting,and will drop birds and dust clays as good as a 12 GA.Maybe not a great selection of them in Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

I have a Remington 105cti, very low recoil, a touch on the heavy side but not too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You have abit of a quandry there.Low recoiling semis are generally heavy guns like the Remmy 1100/1187 or Auto 5.The lighter guns have no mass to absorb the recoil and can be IMO kickers..

What you could do,until you have recoverd and TBH it will kil just as well is maybe go down a gauge to a 20 Ga in either semi or DBBL?

Not as heavy to lug about rough shooting,and will drop birds and dust clays as good as a 12 GA.Maybe not a great selection of them in Ireland.

thanks Grizzly,

Ive not considered a 20 ga and was going to stick to 12 if I could for ease of substitution as I would like to get a few birds before the season is over.

Certainly food for thought.

Ive heard conflicting reports on the recoil reducers but they sound good to me!

Saw a Benellis 12ga semi for sale handy a while back in mint condition but never considered it as I am 12 ga ingrained I think,

Thanks for the help and food for thought.
    Tommy87 wrote: »
    I have a Remington 105cti, very low recoil, a touch on the heavy side but not too heavy.

Hey Tommy,

thanks for your help too. Ive never had a Remington but I will check your one out.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

Beretta A400 Unico with kick off have one a year great gun wouldn't even look at a browning semi auto now.. the A400 is also available in a light weight model too but tbh I don't find the unico at all heavy

Alchemist2 wrote: »
    Beretta A400 Unico with kick off have one a year great gun wouldn't even look at a browning semi auto now.. the A400 is also available in a light weight model too but tbh I don't find the unico at all heavy

Looks good.

I dont mind the weight, its the recoil that I want to reduce most.

Is there much of a difference between the A391 Xtrema2 Synthetic and the A400 Xtreme Unico Synthetic?

Gun to be used for 90% game and 10% clays.

Leaning towards the 391 but will have to try and mount them both and maybe get a few shots from them before I decide.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

I have an xtrema2 for game shooting. It is a bit heavy but not too bad even when walking up. I honestly wouldn't part with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

most gas operated autos are low recoiling.
    Benelli in gereral are not as low recoiling.
    You wont go wrong with a beretta semi auto

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I've used a beretta (Xtrema and Xtrema 2), benelli (SBE and SBE 2), fabarm (euro lion I think) and browning (Gold Hunter) semi autos. Felt recoil can be subjective but my current beretta, which happens to be an Xtrema 2 with the kick off recoil system is the lowest recoiling one I've owned.

My Dad has an old baikal side by side, the recoil and muzzle flip from it are horrendous by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The new Xplor is light recoiling as are the versa max. Even my 391 is low recoil not to mention Benelli really you need to try some first.

Thanks folks

The more I read and the more you say, the 391 with kick off is more appealing.

Going to try and get to a dealers and try a few for fit but I am definitely leaning towards the A391 Xtrema2 Synthetic .

Would also like to hold and mount a A400.

Might try and make time at the weekend to go down the country to a county with to a dealer with decent stock :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Talking about low recoiling guns is well and good but it's all down to the cartridges inside it.

I know a lad that uses 7 32g on clays, bit more recoil out of his beretta then if he put in a 7 28g.

Best bet is to fire a few semis with a few types of cartridges. That should give you a better comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭beretta391

i had a 391 and was a great gun but hasnt a patch on my a400 unico, unico is light and no recall, if ya ever want to fire one dont be afraid to ask me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

i just got a maxus in the last few weeks and there is VERY little recoil from it and its very light and easy to handle ,around lovely gun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Substituting 12ga fr 20ga should be no issue as long as they're both in a non-restricted configuration. The relevant legislation speaks of shotguns and what legaly constitutes a shotgun is not defined by caliber but by ( apologies for the word ) weapon characteristics among which caliber is only an aspect.

Advertisement