Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I do my B.Ed in st. Pats, Am i ONLY able to teach in Ireland?

• 29-09-2012 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

If I qualify as a primary teacher here in Ireland, am I qualified to go on to teach in other countries such as America/Australia/UK etc? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cacamilis

Hi Picking Flowers,

Yes you can continue on to teach else where, however, some counties have specific requirements. England, you can teach pretty much straight away (Although it's difficult enough to get full time work over there) And Australia, last time I checked you needed to have your Dip year completed, and then 2 years teaching experience before qualifying to teach over there. Not too sure abut America but might be similar enough to Australia's requirements. Abu Dhabi and Dubai etc. accept teachers straight from college!
    Hope I helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

exactly what i was wondering about thanks pickingflowersfor asking this and thanks for the great answer cacamilis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You have to have your dip done to teach in England. That's what I was told on the forum on educationposts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

kraggy wrote: »
    You have to have your dip done to teach in England. That's what I was told on the forum on educationposts.ie

I only finished my B.Ed. in May and there are a few people in my year who are already working over in England, no dips done. You are required to take part in an induction program over there though, and this will not count as a Dip year in Ireland if you come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gitterbug

You need to be 4 year trained to be fully qualified to teach in Australia! You will only get casual work if its less!!

Then it's slightly different for the independent schools :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I only finished my B.Ed. in May and there are a few people in my year who are already working over in England, no dips done. You are required to take part in an induction program over there though, and this will not count as a Dip year in Ireland if you come home.

Cailin, can you tell me how your friends went about getting jobs over there? And what's the job market like? Is there a shortage or surplus of primary teachers there, in particular in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

One or two girls went with Noredco, they were an agency that came to speak in Mary I during final year. They're gone working in Kent which is apparently crying out for teachers.
    Another applied directly to a job that was advertised on TES during the year, not sure what area she's working in though.

Advertisement