Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the sickest you've ever been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I had an abscess in my nose and didnt realise what it was. I was in bed at home sick at for a week. At first i thought it was a spell of man flu but then i started to hallucinate, could hardly sleep and my nose was swelling up. When i finally went to hospital they said if I had of left it a few more days i would have died as the contents of the abscess were leaking into my blood system and brain and that was why i was hallucinating.

Aha.. another Coronation Street storyline...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

1210m5g wrote: »
    I got whooping cough when i was about 21, i used to wake up coughing in the middle of the night and run to the bathroom thinking i going to be sick, then i would collapse on the ground gasping for air, it literally feels like your lungs have collapsed and you're only swallowing air. This went on for a few months.

Got that when i was a kid, realy bad dose, was out of school for months with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ah explain what the diseases are when you're posting. The most of us aren't doctors! :P

Google?
    DazMarz wrote: »
    The equally awful thing about the last two ailments are that doctors are inclined to look towards a sexually transmitted angle. There is also the awful process of having to be examined down there, swabs taken, tests done, etc. Has to be done, but is horribly unpleasant.

Way to go to frighten men off from having sexual health checks. :eek:

Speaking from my point of view as a woman, STI tests are fine and nothing more unpleasant than say the bit of discomfort involved in a smear test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

efb wrote: »
    hydrocephalus - water on the brain (not literally water- excess cerebral spinal fluid)
    the benefits of having Latin on the school curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

cml387 wrote: »
    In bed with my sister.

I have to agree. My sickest moment also has to have been the time I slept with cml387's sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savker

cml387 wrote: »
    In bed with my sister.

I hope you got a cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

after second baby ended up in intensive care, lots 4 pints of blood, felt like I had been flattened by a bus, but after 3 days and couple of blood transfusions felt great !

labyrinthitis, had that twice, could not walk or stand up straight for days, really straight condition, feels like your stoned or pissed.

Had swine flu with the little ones, we were like the zoombie family,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

keelanj69 wrote: »
    Colitis. Ive **** blood everyday for the last three years. Nice.

Ulcerative colitis almost killed me. I was in a hospital hooked up to machines for about a week, then i was ****ting blood like you and puking and in terrible pain for 2 years, constantly in and out of hospital. Eventually i had enough and had surgery to remove my colon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thankfully nothing worse than food poisioning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Food poisoning. I'm rarely sick thankfully. (hope I haven't just jinxed myself)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Pneumonia 2 years in a row, my lower left lung is fecked from it, and I get lung infections very easily now.
    Glandular fever, very like pneumonia, in that I lost days from passing out from being so weak, I'd wake up and have lost a couple of days.
    I once ignored a throat infection over Christmas, ended up by New Year that I was essentially infected in my ears, nose, throat, upper chest, lungs, couldn't speak as my larynx was infected too. Spent 2 weeks in bed on extremely strong steroids and antibiotics.
    Winter vomiting bug was the one I felt the worst as I was well enough to be conscious, at least with the others I was passed out a lot. Had the WVB in 2007 and then again I picked it up while 10 weeks pregnant(also had morning sickness, all day) and spent Christmas day either in bed or on the loo.
    In terms of feeling bad, the worst I've ever felt was after I had my son, I spent 5 days in hospital with a very very slow induction, Other compliations and some fasting and no sleep thrown in for good measure, by the time I got home I couldn't function, every muscle hurt and I thought I was suffocating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Swine flu was probably the worst, I was possibly the first person to bring it to Ireland, defiantly in the first five anyway (sorry guys).

Genuinely felt terrible for the last day of my holiday. Shivering in 40c heat and getting horrible cold sweats.

Believe it or not there was murder with the travel company for letting me fly basically telling me to look lively or I won't get on the plane.

Fun times that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Real Life wrote: »
    Colitis. Ive **** blood everyday for the last three years. Nice.

Ulcerative colitis almost killed me. I was in a hospital hooked up to machines for about a week, then i was ****ting blood like you and puking and in terrible pain for 2 years, constantly in and out of hospital. Eventually i had enough and had surgery to remove my colon.

Ive been considering it myself. Seeing as Ive been on a heavy course of steroids the last few weeks and no improvement. How do you get on day to day?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid but I don't remember anything about it.

Three years ago, I got an infection which caused both of my legs to become swollen, red and incredibly painful. Every time I tried to walk, it felt like hot knives were being shoved into my legs.

My doctor put me on antibiotics but by the weekend it had spread to my arms and hands so I went to the weekend on-call doctor who sent me to hospital. I had a skin biopsy done which revealed it was Panniculitis. I was put on steroids which quickly cleared it up, thank goodness.

I have no idea what caused it. It came back a year and a half later but thankfully was nowhere as severe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Genital Herpes - swollen sores on my face and down below. Wasn't pleasant. Note toself, stay away from primary school kids, there riddled

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

An African variant of osteomyelitis.
    Nearly killed me.
    Caused me to spend six months in Drogheda Lourdes Hospital - then another three months in another local ("cottage") hospital in same town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

1210m5g wrote: »
    I got whooping cough when i was about 21, i used to wake up coughing in the middle of the night and run to the bathroom thinking i going to be sick, then i would collapse on the ground gasping for air, it literally feels like your lungs have collapsed and you're only swallowing air. This went on for a few months.

I had something very similar there during the summer, only I don't think it was as serious as whooping cough.

Horrible ****, you cough, then you can't breathe, then you feel like you're going to get sick and your stomach might even heave, but it's a false heave, and you still can't breathe, and every breath irritates your throat, so you cough again, and ugggggghghhh..........
    Do not want again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Worst I've ever been was when I had Gastroenteritis when I was 10 or 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bacterial Meningites when I was ten, left me with scars on my brain which led to epilepsy,which thankfully is now dormant. I am also a diabetic with vision problems, the joys of being 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Had most of one of my armpits surgically removed and skin grafted. It took 3 ops in about 10 days to do. I had a nerve block in my spine but needed morphine injections to help with the pain. The worst part was being confined to the hospital bed for almost 2 weeks. Spent the best part of a month in the hospital and then needed lots of physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

During the middle ages I travelled west from Asia and laid waste to almost all of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

These threads turn me into a quivering hypochondriac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Food poisoning: Eating dodgy chicken on a cruise/Eating in an Albanian restaurant/Handling an airport trolley, buying a bag of crips and licking my fingers. Arse fell out of my world in all three cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Food poisoning: Eating dodgy chicken on a cruise/Eating in an Albanian restaurant/Handling an airport trolley, buying a bag of crips and licking my fingers. Arse fell out of my world in all three cases.

bad food poisoning is horrible. I spent a while in South America and got a serious dose of the ****es about once every 3 weeks.

Cipro and imodium are your only friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

A toss up between the auld Swine Flu, food poisioning or irritable bowel syndrome though the longest I even spent in hospital was 6 weeks following a suspected drink spiking. I'm on anti-pyschotic medicine for life now because of it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Fired back imodium one time...made matters worse! Fair play to the great pharmacy/medical thingy in Bangkok Airport, sorted me right for small bucks and the good folks at Quantas for getting me a good seat near the facilities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Ive been considering it myself. Seeing as Ive been on a heavy course of steroids the last few weeks and no improvement. How do you get on day to day?

physically i feel good, ive no illness now at all and no meds but mentally its very tough due to the fact i have to wear a bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

chicken pox at the age of 34. it was horrendous.

I've had loads of stuff wrong with me/happen to me, vertigo, bells palsy, cellulitis, diverticulitis, food poisoning etc, but the worst ever was swine flu. Jesus I'll never forget that as long as I live, thought I was dying, got a secondary lung infection from it and had to be monitored constantly for pneumonia which thankfully I never got. In fairness though, I consider myself pretty lucky to have only that as my worst illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Gallstones attack I woke up at 3am thinking i was in big trouble coughing up blood and not being able to breathe properly my poor dad was beside himself. Went to hosp needed emergency surgery. Ended up with Pancreatitis getting sick green infected bile for two weeks suffering severe dehydration and just awful pain. all whilst i was six months pregnant and in constant fear for my baby. When i had the emergency surgery i had to sign a wavier incase the baby was born with defects as a result of the radiation they had to use during the op. Then when I was having my son I was left five days in labour and needed an emergency section because my waters had broken and I was in such a state I hadn't realised. My son had to be rushed to NICU and I to Icu as we both had massive infections from being left he had to have brain scans for brain damage and I was touch and go for a few days. I also twisted my ankle and had constant morning sickness for the whole pregancy. Needless to say im not a fan of pregnancy or childbirth and I dont want any more children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Every now and again I get killer hangovers. I vomit bile for at least 12 hours. Seems to be something to do with not eating enough before drinking. Once it happened after just 4 pints and can also happen if I'm drinking spirits only so its not an allergy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Really bad epilepsy, brain surgery, the works. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why do I read these threads? And it'll only get worse with every year on the clock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Sounds a bit like meningitis? God, that must've been terrible. I shudder at the thought of getting any type of illness :/
    -
    I do have chemical gastroenteritis for a few years now. Nothing terrible. It just means I puke every morning and can't really eat until about half 12 in the day. Not nice but I'll take it over the other things in this thread any day!

I ain't no doctor but it sounds like pregnancy to me.. I'm 67% sure of it

But in seriousness, that sounds pretty crap as well considering its constantly with you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The worst thing I had was vertigo. It feels like when you've had too much to drink, your head is spinning and you know you're going to throw up. Unfortunately throwing up doesn't make you feel any better. I had a few day of it, it's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

These threads turn me into a quivering hypochondriac.
    Reading it is making me feel great about not being sick, the humbert family were built to last.

Worst I had was a bad chest infection and was starting to get back pain but that was after ignoring it for over a month while walking 4km to and from college each day with no jacket in the middle of winter, so I've only myself to blame.

This thread is also worrying me that everyone else spending a lot of time here has the excuse that they are on death's door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm lucky I've never had anything bad and I don't get sick often but I do get really bad migraines about once or twice a year where I can't speak, most of my eye sight goes, my tongue/throat and half my body go numb and I can't think or get words out, all topped off with a splitting headache and intense pressure behind my eyes along with a massive sensitivity to light.
    I'm pretty much brought to my knees for 3/4 days and have to lay around in the dark.

Doctors thought it was meningitis the first time but it's just a severe form of migraine that has stroke-like qualities. Funny thing is I could well be more susceptible to stroke when I'm much older because of them.

It's still better then a lot of the stuff posted on here by far though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

The Easter before my Leaving Certificate, I had a burst appendix. That was a pretty painful few days. Burst on a Thursday, went to hospital on the Saturday and had appendix out on the Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

humbert wrote: »
    Reading it is making me feel great about not being sick, the humbert family were built to last.

I have pretty good genetic heritage too as regards cancer, heart attacks, strokes etc. I've had a close call with an asthma attack and have suffered from spirit crushing back pain (weeks in bed on codeine, not being able to walk/stand up) but I still consider myself pretty damn healthy and lucky in a medical sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Hospitalised in my teens for some weird stomach thing that left me in agony for days. Also had a fever once that caused me to hallucinate quite a bit, and made me think I couldn't safely go to sleep unless I kept getting out of bed and touching the curtains. :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

my.. back; ran into complications. all kinds, trapped nerves n that and then it felt like other stuff was collapsing around off the back of it if you will. muscles maybe, kidneys i dont even just its centrifugal so a good few month to truly heal but but i'm alright now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Well I remember when I was 9 or 10 I was struck down with Meningitis, it was awful, I was in hospital for a few weeks and remember having a constant headache and fever.QUOTE]

See you and raise you mumps. Had both at the same time and neither were diagnosed for a couple of weeks despite two lumbar punctures. God, have never been as bad in my life - even after 3 days solid drinking!

Thankfully was only a kid at the time. All I can really remember about it was rolling round my bedroom screaming with headaches.

Other than that was chronic psoriasis - hands, feet (and other unmentionable body parts) bleeding......def not pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

when I was a kid I used to have issues with my kneecaps.. I could be walking along minding my own business and it would just dislocate right out from under me..

It went on from when I was 10 until I was 13.. They were loathe to operate on me as I was so young so they just kept sending me to physio... The last time it happened they had to anaesthetise me because my muscles had locked.. This was caused by damage that a gp had done the time before that where he basically got someone to hold me down while he punched it back into place.

They eventually had to operate on me but the damage from all the dislocations was severe so tbe operation was huge, and left me with an 8 inch scar.. I missed two and a half months of school over the op and had to drop a load of higher level subjects for my juinor.

In my early 20s my other knee started to go the same way. I was sitting on the luas and caught my foot on my other leg and the very gentle force knocked it out but luckily it went straight back in again.

I was living in Dublin at that stage and referred to an orthopaedic surgeon in Beaumont. when he told me be wanted to wait to see if I got worse I literally broke down and told him I could not cope with going through all that pain again and basically destroying myself just so he'd operate.

He relented and two smaller operations later, im getting on with things but there are a lot of things I cannot do.. Like run, contact sports, all im allowed do for exercise is walk or swim, my balance is fooked, and I get severe pain in my Knees in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

When I was 14ish, it was a lovely warm sunny summers day and being the loveable carefree rapscallion that I was I decided to invest the financial windfall I had recently come into due to my summer job in some refreshments for me and my chums. First stop was the local Dunnes stores to wait outside petitioning kind hearted strangers to purchase 6 flagons of Stonehouse cider. A successful endeavour. Next stop was Harpo's house to procure some of the delectable 'gold stamp' hash that he had and that had been spoken about with such high acclaim the past few weeks.

We made haste to a lovely shady and secluded area in a nearby field to commence our youthful shenanigans with the gusto only found in young whipper snappers with a long summer's evening to while away.

Two cones and a bottle and a half of sickly sweet cider later and I found myself succumb to the greenies like I had only to that point heard whispered about nostalgically by older boys down the back of the school bus. I spent the next 2-3 hours desperately trying to get my eyelids to open and close in sync as any unsymmetrical movement of any part of my body sent my head and stomach spinning and crashing like a Blackhawk helicopter clipped by an RPG over an anarchic African non-nation. This eyelid syncing proved desperately difficult to master with any kind of regularity. As such I spent the best part of the evening rolling around the field pleading for it to 'please god just be over' in between bouts of teary dry heaving as I had long since emptied my stomach of any remnants of food or Stonehouse. All agreed it was the bestest day ever.

Ah, to be a lad again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When I was about 19 I got this fever thing and a rash up and down my arms. After a couple of days I was persuaded to go to the doctor (for only the second time in my life) who told me I had a form of scarlet fever and gave me a prescription for antibiotics and pain killers. I didn't tell him that I had fallen (drunk of course) the night before I got sick and banged my kidney area on the arm of a chair. I was pissing blood for 2 weeks except when I drank booze when for some reason it would clear up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Had a severe asthma attack at age 5, (after several smaller ones in the 2 years before) ended up in the ICU with a respirator on stand by. They were worried I would have brain damage from being starved of oxygen and had to conduct a blood test where apparently they normally anaesthetise you. Apparently they figured they didn't have time for that and did it cold (no drugs). My mother still gets upset talking about my screams.

Thankfully that's the most ill I've ever been, it did take me a while to bounce back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Woke up one Monday morning with a severe pain in my side. Had been out the night before for food(no drink) and thought it was food poisoning. By Tuesday the only way i could get relief was sitting on the toilet. Went to hospital and after some tests they told me my appendix was about to go nuclear and was wrapped around my gut. The pain was unbelievable.

Have an 8 inch scar on my side and the surgeon informed me that i was the first time in about 300 appendectomy's he'd had to put a catheter into the wound and the cut was so big they had to staple my wound. I still have them. They were taken out with the same thing you use to remove staples from paper. My doctor sterilised it before using it.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 rain10

Glandular Fever over a year ago, was bed ridden for 2 weeks and lost over a stone from not being able to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

When I was 20, I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and was treated in hospital for a few weeks because I was unable to eat and no energy, and crazy sweats and fever.... Imagine my elation when it was confirmed eventually that it was a mis-diagnosis and that I simply had a bad bout of glandular fever and tonsilitis down on top of it! Even at that though, I was not 100% myself again for about six months, if not more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Nearly died when I was a baby but I can't remember so it doesn't count!

Swine Flu, fock me.. It was not good. Thought my body was just giving up couldn't move. Blinking even hurt!

Well done to the folk who have overcome serious illness :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement