Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardfry cemetary

Options
  • 30-09-2012 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Does anyone know if, or where there is a cemetary in the Ardfry/Ballynacourty area? Looking for an older one, from the 1800's. Does anyone know a local historian in the area?

cheers,

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Ballinacourty Cemetery and Kilcaimin Cemetery are two old cemeteries, don't think there's another old one in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

AD61 wrote: »
    Ballinacourty Cemetery and Kilcaimin Cemetery are two old cemeteries, don't think there's another old one in the area.
    you could also use go to the above locations on www.myplan.ie and view them on the old raster mapping. should give you a good idea of their extents

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

www.osi.ie might be of help to you. It show various ordnance survey maps from various eras and for some older maps, you can highlight historical layers such as churches, cemeteries, graveyards, burial grounds ....
    Hope this helps.
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

thanks, much appreciated all.

Just to check again, does anyone know a local historian in the area? Possibly someone who knows the background to Ardfry house etc etc?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Which part of Galway city is Ardfry in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JustMary wrote: »
    Which part of Galway city is Ardfry in?
    It's in the without part.

Its near Rinville, Oranmore. if your looking at the Marine Institute building from Renmore, its the next peninsula to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Just to check again, does anyone know a local historian in the area? Possibly someone who knows the background to Ardfry house etc etc?

thanks

I remember watching the filming of The Mackintosh Man with Paul Newman when it was set on fire. I think the house belonged to the Blake family, one of the original tribes of Galway.

My family are buried in Ballinacourty cemetry. I'll ask my family if they know someone who knows the history of the area.

Thanks very much, any information will be great. Theres an amazing history behind the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

deisemum wrote: »
    I remember watching the filming of The Mackintosh Man with Paul Newman when it was set on fire. I think the house belonged to the Blake family, one of the original tribes of Galway.

I remember reading that for the film, they put a new roof on the house, then burnt it down as part of the story.

An airfield in Oranmore is also mentioned in the film, anybody know where it was ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    An airfield in Oranmore is also mentioned in the film, anybody know where it was ?

Wasn't the old one where the army rifle range is now?...up behind the lovely empty IDA campus beside where steelforms used to be. East of the N18.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah the old airport runway was nothing more than a tiny strip and iirc pilots were supposed to circle overhead before coming in to land to frighten the sheep off the runway.

There was great excitement at the time and I can remember the excitement in secondary school when it was shown on the old reels.;)

Advertisement