Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happns when we exit our bailout programme?

• 30-09-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Ok well so as far as i know we are due to exit this currnt bailout programme late 2013

But it looks unlikely we will be able to get sufficient funds from the markets this is as much because of what is happening in Spain and Greece (if not more so) than what is happening here.

We hav been told no second bailout will be requested....I don't think it would be given anyway.

The lettr from the Germans Finns and Dutch indicate all future bailouts will go the same way our first one did.

In that case there is less incentive to accept one.

And if we don't need one...what really would be best funding this large debt on our own for the next however long?

Or what???

What happens when we exit our bailout programme (even if we handle our deficit)and cannot get access to enough funds to manage these huge payments?

Am i the only one who thinks the Govt WILL need bailout no 2 and that there is a chance that it will not get it?

What do you see happening?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We've sold bonds for less than Spain and Greece (way less than Greece) recently.

Using them as a comparator is not the best in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Stheno wrote: »
    We've sold bonds for less than Spain and Greece (way less than Greece) recently.

Using them as a comparator is not the best in my opinion

That is true but I did not use them as a comparator ....but i think things in Europe may make funding harder to get. I would worry about market stability throughout Europe if things go on like thy have on the streets etc.

What were Irish bond yeilds recently? Sorry i should have checked....

And even so will it be enough to fund these huge payments?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That is true but I did not use them as a comparator ....but i think things in Europe may make funding harder to get. I would worry about market stability throughout Europe if things go on like thy have on the streets etc.

2 year bonds were 5% or less iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Ok well so as far as i know we are due to exit this currnt bailout programme late 2013

But it looks unlikely we will be able to get sufficient funds from the markets this is as much because of what is happening in Spain and Greece (if not more so) than what is happening here.

We hav been told no second bailout will be requested....I don't think it would be given anyway.

The lettr from the Germans Finns and Dutch indicate all future bailouts will go the same way our first one did.

In that case there is less incentive to accept one.

And if we don't need one...what really would be best funding this large debt on our own for the next however long?

Or what???

What happens when we exit our bailout programme (even if we handle our deficit)and cannot get access to enough funds to manage these huge payments?

Am i the only one who thinks the Govt WILL need bailout no 2 and that there is a chance that it will not get it?

What do you see happening?

If that did happen, then I imagine we'd arrive at a similar scenario as Latvia underwent in 2009.

I think it's extremely improbable tho.
    Europe will pay through the pocket or the nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yes you should have checked what Irish bond yields are recently.

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.ie/2012/09/bond-yields.html

They have dropped below 5% which is good news even if economists are not sure it is sustainable. If they stay below 5% for the next year, then we will not need a bailout.

However, if we could get a bailout at 3% rates, we may be better off taking a bailout than raising cash on the market.

Either way, there is a lot more water to flow under the bridge before we know what will happen. It is important to note however that the NTMA has raised some money on the markets already this year and that pushes back the date into early 2014.

• Advertisement
Advertisement