Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To park or not to park

• 30-09-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Just off College Road by UCC in Cork there is a road called Highfield West which only allows parking on one side of the road. Fair enough.

However some of these parking spaces block entrances to houses, as can be seen in the following photos.

Screenshot2012-09-30at004401.png
    (All work is now finished and the house has parking on property as seen)

Screenshot2012-09-30at004414.png

My main question is, apart from being a bit of a ass to purposefully block someone's door, are you legally in the ok to park there? If the owners rang the guards, would they have a leg to stand on?

Secondly, the parking signs have been changed in the area so that cars have to display a disc between the hours of 8:30 - 20:30, 2 hours longer then any other street that I've seen around UCC. Is this normal? Is this just so that residents can get parking? On the equally busy Highfield Avenue parking with disc is only until 18:30. The parking signs have been altered with what looks like a sticker (I'd say it's one of those plasticy ones) over the original "18"

(I'm not planning on parking in front of people's houses. It's just something I've wondered ever since I saw it.)

(Since Google did a street view, I'm pretty certain that more homes converted their front garden into parking so this issue is more than for just the one able bodied car parking space)
    Tagged:

Comments

You can't block a driveway, have a peak at the rules of the road. I live near there, AGS will arrange for any car blocking a driveway to be lifted once the resident alerts them. Think about if ffs, of course you can't block a driveway. On your 2nd issue the 2 hours extra on the disc parking is due to the BSH afaik not due to UCC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that near the Bons Secours?

I've seen some mad parking on that road

Yep, very close to BSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think the situation here is that is a new drive. Assuming it has been put in with permission from CCC, then you can't park over it. Probably waiting for the lines to be altered.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I vaguely remember a case in dublin where a developer owned a green area, used to be own by some religious organisation.

Anyway, he tried to change it into a car park, but the entrance had marked parking signs directly outside the entrance. He tried painting double yellows over them himself, and reporters starting parking on them for a story.

Can't remember what happened in the end. Think he started selling tiles or stone or something off the plot later.

If it has permission, you definitely can't. If it doesn't, you probably shouldn't. Even if it's not strictly legal, you shouldn't block someone in. Looks like a disabled marking outside, for the resident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MarkR wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a case in dublin where a developer owned a green area, used to be own by some religious organisation.

Anyway, he tried to change it into a car park, but the entrance had marked parking signs directly outside the entrance. He tried painting double yellows over them himself, and reporters starting parking on them for a story.

Can't remember what happened in the end. Think he started selling tiles or stone or something off the plot later.

If it has permission, you definitely can't. If it doesn't, you probably shouldn't. Even if it's not strictly legal, you shouldn't block someone in. Looks like a disabled marking outside, for the resident?

Noel o gara, Dartmouth square I think.

More antics on this page
    http://athlonelive.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1047&start=0

Advertisement