Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from UCC to Kent Train Station

• 30-09-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

What's the bus route I should take to get to Kent station from UCC?
    Anyone have any idea how much a taxi is from anywhere around the UCC area TO Kent?

All help/info appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Bus 205. It leaves from both O Donovan's Road and College Road, just outside UCC. It would cost around 6-8 euro for a taxi I would think. It isn't that far a walk if the weather is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aelune

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Bus 205. It leaves from both O Donovan's Road and College Road, just outside UCC. It would cost around 6-8 euro for a taxi I would think. It isn't that far a walk if the weather is okay.

Fantastic, thanks for the help! :)
    New to Cork. Absolutely CLUELESS about Bus routes atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

The bus from outside Ucc on college road side is 1.70 and stops at the station. Takes about 20-30 minutes with traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The bus takes you to here: (Just next to the UCC Student Centre building and O'Rahilly Building).

If you're going to other parts of the campus, you can get off a few stops later up college road and walk through the Medical Sciences area (next to the Bons Hospital) and across the bridge into the Western Gateway Building.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=connacht+avenue+cork&hl=en&ll=51.893595,-8.489152&spn=0.000495,0.000862&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=7.789653,14.128418&hnear=Connaught+Ave,+Cork,+County+Cork&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.893595,-8.489152&panoid=qdR6s7S_olgRouOMyfZ2AA&cbp=12,41.51,,0,7.56

Walking route:

http://goo.gl/maps/y1ZRc

Unfortunately, Google Maps doesn't do public transport routes in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aelune

Thanks everyone for all the help. Really appreciated. Anyone else got any other general Cork public transport advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Serbitar

208 takes you out to the Wilton shopping centre, which is handy to know early on because shopping in centra because you're too lazy to walk to town can get expensive. I know, I did it all of first year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

208 will take you past the front gates of the college, and into town - train station is a ten min walk then from the bus stop.

If you are planning on using the bus daily, go to the bus office and get a monthly student pass, means you can use any bus in Cork that is 2-- from 201 to 214, any city based bus for free using that pass - I had it about two years ago and it cost 63 a month I think, cost has probably gone up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

aelune wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the help. Really appreciated. Anyone else got any other general Cork public transport advice?

The 208 leaves from town at a few stops along Patrick Street and goes to a stop just a small bit before the front gates and also stops beyond the front gate if you have a lecture in Western Gateway. It also leaves to go into town from the stop across and down from Jail Cross.

The 205 is very unreliable and sometimes you're better off walking. I was caught waiting for it in the rain for fifty minutes before (they're supposed to be every fifteen) and eventually ended up walking when lo and behold it passed me five minutes later.

I know people who walked it a lot as they actually made it to UCC quicker than if they had waited for the bus.

I find the 208 a bit better so I used to walk to town and get that out a lot of the time. Plus one on getting a pass of some sort unless you plan on walking a lot as it will end up cheaper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I used the bus the whole time for the three years I was commuting to college, best spot to get the bus is go out the main gates of the college, cross the road, walk past the coffee dock onto the Dyke Parade road, and there is a bus stop just there, which serves the 205 and the 208. It doesn't have a proper shelter,but if you stand in near the wall when it is raining, it provides a bit of shelter. I had the pass, so I used get the first bus in, and if it was the 208, and I was feeling lazy, I'd wait in town until the next 205. The advantage ye have now is that there are a number of those electronic screens which has the waiting time for the next bus on it, so if you do get as far as Finn's corner (turning left onto St Patrick Street) on the 208, you can see how long you are waiting until the 205 comes, which is what I used to do when it was raining especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can get live arrival / departure information on www.wheresmybus.ie it tells you when the text bus will arrive at any given stop in the city.

The information is also available on displays at busier stops, but it's handy on a cold wet day as you can check while having a coffee somewhere.

Cork busses are all 2XX numbered.

Other than that, if you're planning on using he bus a lot, get a student bus pass. You used to be able to buy them in the Student Centre at the information desk.

Alternatively, bring your student ID and get one at the bus station which is just at the back of Merchants Quay shopping centre on the quayside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement