Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water level in toilet bowl

Options
  • 30-09-2012 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Dont laugh guys, just wondering what causes the toilet level in the bowl to vary. Sometimes its high and sometimes its low, this affects all toilets in the house. Would it be the wind or air pressure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

From my understanding , The wind blowing down the soil pipe is a common problem, in unoccupied toilets its simple evoperation pressure can effect it but its not outside pressure its siophoning where a build up in the sewage system pulls on the water in the toilet. Granted this build up might be to rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It could also be caused by lack of a proper vent pipe.
    You should get a plumber to take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A house I used to live in (forget which one) used to show this effect every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The gravitational pull of the moon perhaps :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

If it's a septic tank then perhaps it's full or faulty percolation area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I notice that when its windy the water really moves, so the soil pipe could be a good explanation as its on the side of house that makes the wind whistle when in a south west direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

snaps wrote: »
    I notice that when its windy the water really moves, so the soil pipe could be a good explanation as its on the side of house that makes the wind whistle when in a south west direction.
    It's the wind. Happens here too when wind is on that side of house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

jayus lads is the weather that boring atm that we are reduced to talking about windy toilets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Depends on whether you pass wind while sitting on the throne or not!!! ;-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Have noticed the water in the jacks bobbing up and down during stormy weather as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

The wind passing over the top of the soil pipe causes a change in the pressure inside the pipe which causes a change in water levels. The wind doesn't need to be blowing down the pipe. It's called the Bernoulli effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

this can also lead to he trap loosing water and thus not being a trap any more. "Wavering out" is the term .

Advertisement