Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Tales of the Deise

Options
  • 30-09-2012 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Have you ever heard any good yarns? True stories fashioned with a negligent dose of fact and a liberal helping of fiction?

Many moons ago I met a fisherman who swore on all he possessed (which wasn't a hell of a lot) that submarines patrolled the Suir as far as Grannagh Castle. In the early hours of the morning he would occasionally observe periscopes just above the waterline as the subs moved slowly up or down stream.

Another favourite of mine is the tale of an alligator on the loose in Annestown. Upon outgrowing both the bathtub and his welcome the poor alligator was dumped in the Anne river by his exasperated owner. Now fully grown he feasts on the sheep and hares which occupy the flood plains. If you're ever in Annestown you'll see a sign saying 'Caution Alligators Crossing' or something to that effect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i have heard many tall tales over the years but a couple spring to mind like the mythical building in ferrybank some say it was built by the anicents as a tribute to the shopping gods others say the nama tribe used it to store their wealth, either way it is a temple of times past

i have also heard about an organisation supposedily as powerful as the FBI as secret as the CIA ,their name is spoken under the breath of ex-factory workers across waterford as no one quite knows what they do but people pray that one day they will do something, they are the mytical IDA.

the third myth that i talk of is so secretive that no one knows what he looks like and it is said if you say his name out loud 3 times , he will appear . all i know is that he patrols the technological highways handing out infractions and bans and also patrols the local highways managing to see first hand every newsworthy incident that happens in waterford with his own two eyes.
    hailing from tramore his name is sully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

That you can see the spire of Tramore church from Waterford, oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

The submarine story is certainly partly correct. In World War 1 German submarines were regular visitors to the Suir Estuary and there is a famous account of UC44, a state of the art new submarine, which managed to sink herself in August 1917 while mine laying off Dunmore East. The Royal Navy came along and salvaged her and brought it ashore onto Lawlors strand where it was examined in detail. The crew had all been drowned.

Visits by German U boats to the river Suir were regular occurrence at the time, usually to lay mines across the river mouth, but they obviously needed depth in order to stay hidden. Therefore going all the way up the river would have to be done on the surface in the dark. There is every reason to suggest that it probably did happen so the story is not really that strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

There's a secret tunnel that runs under the river suir from Ferrybank Abbey to Reginalds tower. One day a man was walking his dog down there (as you do :pac:) and rats bigger than a jack russel devoured it! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

The fella with the limp went into that tunnel at least that's what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Quiz in a town pub..
    Quizmaster asked one of the contestants:
    What river runs through the city of Waterford?

Contestant, in his finest townie accent:
    The quay river

The quizmaster, feeling a bit sorry for the contestant, decided to give him a subtle hint;
    Are you sure?

Contestant replies:
    Yeah, I'm f**king positive!!

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

A baby was born in Otteran's with a pig's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

SubBusted wrote: »

that must be a long time ago these days they use forceps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

SubBusted wrote: »
    Wrong it had pig's toes, and he trotted home.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Any of ye ever hear of the story that on a night with a full moon. If you go a mile or two outside town , has to very quiet, but you can supposedly hear the distant drumming off in the distance. Some say it is a man called sully tuning in his ban hammer :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement