Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Pokemon Trading Cards

• 30-09-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get into the Pokemon Trading Card game but I'm a bit lost on where to begin, the basic rules of the game and the kind of money I should be spending in order to begin the pastime - I don't want to spend too much and then find I don't particularly like it.

I know Magic the Gathering, for example, give out promotional decks of about 30 or so cards with the rules in order to get into the game. A friend of mine is obsessed with this game but I just can't get behind it, I'd rather something I feel like I have a connection with already, like Pokemon (due to my love of the games and the TV series when I was younger)

Does anyone know if there is a website where I can get a freebie promo deck or if there is a recommended route for being taught the game and then purchasing a rather inexpensive start up kit? I would really be interested in doing that then going out and spending money on something I don't understand.

Plus, I'd rather get involved with the basic version of the game first, rather then any sub-chapter or any kind of unusual variations - if that makes sense!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

you can always try the online trading card game, if you want to learn the rules and see if you like it, twas free last time I checked..it's on pokemon.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You should start coming to the annual league in Dublin, if your round the area, its a great way to start building a collection. One theme deck is sixty cards, thats about 12 euro, everything you need to play. From there, you can either play with your mates, or if you do come t the league, which you really should, its great craic, we'll all be happy to help, donate a few cards that you're desperate for, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You live in the UK right? Which is better. Cause there's only the one leauge here in Ireland, but a lot more in the UK.

A starter deck will cost you less than £10 and you can learn to play real easy just by downloading the new online trading card game game.

However when I decided I needed to learn to play again, I just downloaded the rom of the old TCG game that was on the gameboy colour and that was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm not an expert by any means, but don't they retire cards / sets from active play periodically? If so, would be worth mentioning so the OP doesn't end up buying an old retired deck or anything like that. As I said, I'm no expert, I may be mixed up or confusing a tournament rule with regular league play or I might have dreamed it so ignore this post till someone who's in the know agrees or tells me to F-off!

Incidentally, Argos have a 3-for-2 on, which includes a Pokemon Deck with several booster packs in it; If you can find them Tesco are doing booster pack sets (3 packs plus a sampler) and collector tins (promo card, several boosters and a plastic figure) for 6.50 and 3.50 respectively. Smyths had a starter pack - 2 x 30 card decks (that form a single deck when you've finished) that serve as a tutorial game to get you started. It was a fiver earlier this year, may be gone or gone back up. Decks usually come with a play mat and counters, booster packs tend to come with a coin to flip if for some bizarre reason you have no hard currency to hand, tins come in... tins! handy for keeping your cards in. The card sets you get may or may not be out of date though, see point 1 above and ask a real player :)

Note : To play this game you need Energy Cards. You never get enough of them in booster packs, and the ones in decks are tailored to the deck's theme - consider ordering a bunch of 'em off ebay or begging for some from other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dec_

anyone know where in dublin to get the A4 9 POCKET PAGES to keep these in

• Advertisement

Forbidden planet sells them for 30c a page I believe.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Forbidden planet sells them for 30c a page I believe.

Can't find them

On the bottom floor, right next to the till.

cloud493 wrote: »
    On the bottom floor, right next to the till.

I did not know they had a shop in Dublin found address on facebook.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alan09k

I'm just getting back into the trading card game with my mate, we want to take part in a tournament just for the craic any idea when the next one is on in Dublin ? We've just picked up our stater kits and a few boosters and are itching to play :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

Alan09k wrote: »
    I'm just getting back into the trading card game with my mate, we want to take part in a tournament just for the craic any idea when the next one is on in Dublin ? We've just picked up our stater kits and a few boosters and are itching to play :)

Its a weekly meet up in Gamersworld at 6pm till 9pm. There is a cover fee of €5 but you will also get a booster pack with that.

We do have a facebook group as well if you want to join it too.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/87668007454/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alan09k

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    Its a weekly meet up in Gamersworld at 6pm till 9pm. There is a cover fee of €5 but you will also get a booster pack with that.

We do have a facebook group as well if you want to join it too.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/87668007454/

My mate tried to add yous on the group, his name is Ciaran. We'll be down tomorrow, will be just after 6 so we'll see you there :)

Advertisement