Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€100,000 wedding cake, billed to Quinn Company

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

Let them eat cake !Jeez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No point in trying to open the eyes of the Quinn lovers, truth is if that man commited multiple murder in full public view, some people would still love him and support him. And for what? Creating a few hundred jobs years ago, wow, that gives you some amount of slack with the Irish people. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe we'll all get a slice seeing as we're paying for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Spending 100 grand on a cake :eek: Christ, wish I was rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

But he fixed the road!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Slurryface wrote: »
    I'M sure all of my fellow boardsies will be deligted to know that they have contributed to paying for this act or corporate fraud!
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/100000-wedding-cake-billed-to-quinn-company-3244277.html
    Can't wait to see how the Quinn apologists explain this away.

The cake was from a wedding in 2007. To my knowledge their business did not get taken over until 2009 or so...

How is this a taxpayer cake then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

€100,000 and not a single sprinkle! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Tiers are coming into my eyes reading that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'M sure all of my fellow boardsies will be deligted to know that they have contributed to paying for this act or corporate fraud!
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/100000-wedding-cake-billed-to-quinn-company-3244277.html
    Can't wait to see how the Quinn apologists explain this away.
    How did the taxpayer pay for it if Quinn group paid for it five years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

LenaClaire wrote: »
    The cake was from a wedding in 2007. To my knowledge their business did not get taken over until 2009 or so...

Because it was paid for with money from a dodgy business that the quinn gang ran which now owes us, the taxpayer, billions.
    Every non life insurance policy sold in this country for the next 40 years will have a levy on it to pay for the quinn gangs activities, never mind the billions they owe us from their dodgy share dealings in Anglo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Solicitors get all the wimmins

Because it was paid for with money from a dodgy business that the quinn gang ran which now owes us, the taxpayer, billions.
    Every non life insurance policy sold in this country for the next 40 years will have a levy on it to pay for the quinn gangs activities, never mind the billions they owe us from their dodgy share dealings in Anglo!

So... are you saying that every dollar they ever spent was taxpayer money? How far back does this accounting go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Don't forget he built that roundabout outside Quinndirect on the way into Cavan Town!

So... are you saying that every dollar they ever spent was taxpayer money? How far back does this accounting go?
    As far back as the billions those thieving lowlifes owe us!:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was thinking the same to be honest.

As far back as the billions those thieving lowlifes owe us!:mad:

Does that include the money they used to pay all the people employed at the company for the past 30 years, or just the money they spent on their family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

CatFromHue wrote: »

As much as I don't like the quinn family, this is really just clutching at straws TBH.

It happened 5 years ago and was charged to his company. Nothing wrong with that at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Would have been a better article if they had a picture of this cake

I want to know what 100,000 will buy you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

100K on a ****ing cake?! What is wrong with people?

Ehm...you're not supposed to bill your wedding cake to your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

CatFromHue wrote: »

So its ok for Quinn customers to pick up the tab then, ultimatly thats what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

What did it do, make your **** smell like roses?

T'would want to fir that money!!

As much as I don't like the quinn family, this is really just clutching at straws TBH.

It happened 5 years ago and was charged to his company. Nothing wrong with that at the time
    Actually, under company law there might be a whole lot wrong with it, either way it's the taxpayer who is now actually picking up the tab for it, amongst the billions of Euros these slime have cost us.
    2007 by the wqay was about the time they started their dodgy share dealings in an attempt to make a quick killing in Anglo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

So if the company paid for this 5 years ago, does that mean the taxpayer has paid for all expenses the business incurred ?

Stop the presses !!!!!!!

The tax payer has bought 6000 rolls of bogroll for Quinndirect staff !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I like cake........

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    So if the company paid for this 5 years ago, does that mean the taxpayer has paid for all expenses the business incurred ?

Stop the presses !!!!!!!

The tax payer has bought 6000 rolls of bogroll for Quinndirect staff !!!!!
    Like I said at the start it waould be interesting to see how the apologists for this crime gang would go about defending their greed, criminality , and excess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Remmy wrote: »
    But he fixed the road!!

no, he didnt, he ran HGV goods vehicles all over the republic wearing the roads

to add insult to injury, he bought said Lorries in N.I. thus avoiding Irish taxes and Motor Tax

The Queen was grateful for Sean Quinns loyalty to her exchequer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Like I said at the start it waould be interesting to see how the apologists for this crime gang would go about defending their greed, criminality , and excess.

Is it not you who got rid of "overpaid" minimum wage workers here, to pay chinese workers instead? So is it just the quinn illegality you have a problem with, or the greed?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Is it not you who got rid of "overpaid" minimum wage workers here, to pay chinese workers instead? So is it just the quinn illegality you have a problem with, or the greed?
    What the hell are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What the hell are you on?

Very aggressive there slurryface, calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just because a non-business expense gets billed to a company doesn't mean that the company claims it as a business expense. For all we know, it could have been charged to a director's account, in which case a director paid for it and not the tax-payer.

Not enough info to go on to know what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are they sure it was a cake and not just a massive pile of coke? =/

Are they sure it was a cake and not just a massive pile of coke? =/

That would be the icing on the cake if it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jesus, looking at the state of your woman in the photo it just goes to show that you can't buy taste. She looks like she put that outfit together from the bargain basement at Oxfam. I'm sure it cost a fortune though. Shame she looks so bovine in it.:D Who doesn't know who paid for their wedding?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Personally I'd like nothing more than to see Sean Quinn, Sean Fitzpatrick and the rest of their buddies live out the rest of their days in Mountjoy. But however crass and immoral it is to spend 100 grand on a wedding cake, and however illegal it may be under company law to charge it to a business (and maybe it isn't, I'm not a lawyer), the title of this thread is completely disingenuous. The wedding happened two years before we were lumbered with the Quinn group, and while it could be argued that it forms part of the liabilities that the state acquired, it was not "billed to the taxpayers" as the thread title suggests. If this thread title appeared as a headline in a tabloid people would rightly deride it as sensationalist or populist, and so calling people apologists for stating the obvious is more than a bit unfair imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Was the cake made of gold or something? Another fine example of theivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Was the cake made of gold or something? Another fine example of theivery.

Maybe they flew it on Ryanair.

"The excess on that will be €99500 please."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

the Quinns are like the real life Bluth family. I bet one of them got cartography lessons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

Legally, its a misappropriation of funds UNLESS the purchase of the cake can be show for example as a (PR?) expense which might be seen to be advancing the interests of the business from which it was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

Was it insured?

• Advertisement

ehmjay wrote: »
    Was it insured?

Yeh for hundreds and thousands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Yeh for hundreds and thousands

Anyone know why we are all paying a levy for this lot

Biggins wrote: »
    Legally, its a misappropriation of funds UNLESS the purchase of the cake can be show for example as a (PR?) expense which might be seen to be advancing the interests of the business from which it was purchased.

See my post No.33:P

I don't think that a business can claim an expense on the grounds that it would advance the interests of another unrelated business.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    See my post No.33:P

I don't think that a business can claim an expense on the grounds that it would advance the interests of another unrelated business.
    We're thinking upon the same lines.

I agree but a good solicitor/account can be very imaginative when it comes to 'creative accounting' of expenses - and sadly lord knows we have had many examples of that in Ireland!

Biggins wrote: »
    We're thinking upon the same lines.

I agree but a good solicitor/account can be very imaginative when it comes to 'creative accounting' of expenses - and sadly lord knows we have had many examples of that in Ireland!

It's unfortunate that in true Indo style, we've been given only a fraction of the story i.e. the bit that winds up the tax-paying public.

All of the audit firms that I've worked for over the years wouldn't have allowed the company to claim it, and would have charged it to the relevant director.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pretty sure a wedding cake for the daughter isn't a valid business expense. Probably got away without paying the reduce VAT for cake. €13,500 right there :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

How can a cake cost €100,000? Did Bertie make it or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

anyone got a photo of this cake?

recyclebin wrote: »
    How can a cake cost €100,000? Did Bertie make it or something?

Na, he has a good alibi.
    He was busy else where cooking the books ...horse racing ones of course!

Misleading thread title changed

• Advertisement
Advertisement