Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€100,000 wedding cake, billed to Quinn Company

Comments

Gotta love the Irish.. You think anyone in the UK cares about the coffee the employees of Northern Rock drank during break before it was nationalised? No different apart from the media finding a cake more dramatic and therefore, appealing to the Irish masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gotta love the Irish.. You think anyone in the UK cares about the coffee the employees of Northern Rock drank during break before it was nationalised? No different apart from the media finding a cake more dramatic and therefore, appealing to the Irish masses.

They might if the coffe was £5,000 a cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Some feckin cake, maybe it's like the "James and the giant Peach" story and the Quinn family can live in and eat it for generations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

We live in a three tired society.

They might if the coffe was £5,000 a cup.

Being paid for by the company? No they wouldn't care and nor should anyone. You can't list every expense a company has ever had as a public liability if it's nationalised afterwards.. It's illogical especially in the Quinn case since his losses didn't come from bad money losing management, they came from one massive bad decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They mixed up the billing, the €100,000 cake was due to go to Sean junior in prison. Money for bribes and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They mixed up the billing, the €100,000 cake was due to go to Sean junior in prison. Money for bribes and what not.

His cake's got a file in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

How would they feel if they found out that a director of Northern Rock, knowing the Bank was hurtling towards it's liquidity crisis (i.e not enough available cash to pay off their borrowings when they mature in 12 months or whatever) decided to spend the banks money on his daughters wedding. Including 100k on a cake.

Don't forget that it paid for the whole wedding. Not just a cake.

Anybody knpw how much BIK was paid by the daughter on this?

Quinn insurance was a ponzi scheme. Bernie Madoff and his family lived a
    nice high-flying lifestyle until his collapsed.......do you think it'd be very "Irish" to criticise him for doing that? After all, sure the authorities didn't know there was anything wrong at the time. That's ok so, eh?

Employees drinking coffee me hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

ejmaztec wrote: »
    His cake's got a file in it.

They put one for each of them in it, just in case like.

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a06/b2/vp/metal-deburring-tools-1.1-800x800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

How did the taxpayer pay for it if Quinn group paid for it five years ago?
    A wedding cake is not an allowable expense when calculating a company's tax bill. And if you don't understand my first sentence this ... it is tax fraud. You pay for personal expenses out of taxed personal income. My guess is the tax inspector will be checking back through the tax computation for that year to see that the cake was either (1) charged to a director's account or (2) disallowed in the tax computation. If it was charged to business expenses and then disallowed it probably breaks company law charging personal expenses to a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Being paid for by the company? No they wouldn't care and nor should anyone. You can't list every expense a company has ever had as a public liability if it's nationalised afterwards.. It's illogical especially in the Quinn case since his losses didn't come from bad money losing management, they came from one massive bad decision.

The Quinns like to paint themselves as innocent normal people when in reality they were gambling billions and spending ridiculous amounts of money. I think the Irish are entitled to know what this family is really like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

yore wrote: »
    How would they feel if they found out that a director of Northern Rock, knowing the Bank was hurtling towards it's liquidity crisis (i.e not enough available cash to pay off their borrowings when they mature in 12 months or whatever) decided to spend the banks money on his daughters wedding. Including 100k on a cake.

Don't forget that it paid for the whole wedding. Not just a cake.

Anybody knpw how much BIK was paid by the daughter on this?

Quinn insurance was a ponzi scheme. Bernie Madoff and his family lived a
    nice high-flying lifestyle until his collapsed.......do you think it'd be very "Irish" to criticise him for doing that? After all, sure the authorities didn't know there was anything wrong at the time. That's ok so, eh?

Employees drinking coffee me hole.

There's a good point in the above.

If the business was going down the pan, the last thing maybe they should not have been doing was using business money for personal gain outside standard business practises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I for one would have liked to tasted the said cake. I love cake. A 100k cake (price obviously includes private jet for transport) has got to taste awesome. If there were any raisins in it I would have a problem with the price tag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

These fuckin lowlifes are being continually outed.

Well done the Indo for continuing to boot their holes !:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

What about BUY IRISH ?
    Surely they could have spent that money here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Anyone know why we are all paying a levy for this lot

We are paying a levy for this lot because our government decided that you and I should be liable for the gambling losses of a bunch of German and French bondholders in Anglo Irish Bank.
    Sean Quinn bought shares in a private company and all his dealings were with a private company.....nothing to do with you and I.

Unfortunately I suspect that when Quinn gets his turn in court it will turn out that, due to the shenanigans of fitz and co, he is not liable for the 2.5billion or so, and then guess who will pick up that bill???? He will end up getting compensation for the receiver f***ing up his companies and guess who will pick up that bill also???

We the public will get shafted left and right while the politicians get richer and the crowd of thieves in Europe will keep laughing while we pay the bill.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    We are paying a levy for this lot because our government decided that you and I should be liable for the gambling losses of a bunch of German and French bondholders in Anglo Irish Bank...

We're giving them this week another €1.1 billion this week.

One third of what we are needing in the next budget!
    Madness.

Biggins wrote: »

Madness.

Thats ^ 11,000 wedding cakes.

and another 1.25 billion in january and 3.1 billion in march and they have us fighting each other over teachers getting an allowance for keeping an eye on our kids at break times, we are being f***ed right left and center and it will continue.

Thats ^ 11,000 wedding cakes.

and another 1.25 billion in january and 3.1 billion in march and they have us fighting each other over teachers getting an allowance for keeping an eye on our kids at break times, we are being f***ed right left and center and it will continue.

...And yet although I think its right that the Quinns should be equally held accountable - what they cost the country (or will do), is far small to what we as a state is giving away!

There's no trying to comprehend the madness sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Has anyone seen the dam cake?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kowloon wrote: »
    Pretty sure a wedding cake for the daughter isn't a valid business expense. Probably got away without paying the reduce VAT for cake. €13,500 right there :pac:.
    It was imported from outside the EU so perhaps some import duty to be added too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

ejmaztec wrote: »
    All of the audit firms that I've worked for over the years wouldn't have allowed the company to claim it, and would have charged it to the relevant director.

Not if the auditors were turning a blind eye to dodgy dealings. It wouldn't be the first time (or will be the last :mad:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

It was imported from outside the EU so perhaps some import duty to be added too ?

maybe it was made from garlic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jimmynokia wrote: »
    anyone got a photo of this cake?

Something along these lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

A 100K cake in Cavan....f*k me. They deserve all they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

She is fúcking ugly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yeh for hundreds and thousands

That's a trifling amount for a cake when you've got sh1tloads of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I like Cake!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

On my current part time salary, it would take me 6 and a half years to earn enough money to pay for this cake, and thats if I wasn't paying tax. Thats just f*cking sick. I didn't realise I could hate Sean Quinn more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

100k for a cake now thats sick as sick can be how many hungry children would 100k feed? Well very true saying what goes round comes round! reduced to bread and butter pudding if they can afford that now! They,v had there cake and eaten it! 100k bloody amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

patwicklow wrote: »
    100k for a cake now thats sick as sick can be how many hungry children would 100k feed? Well very true saying what goes round comes round! reduced to bread and butter pudding if they can afford that now! They,v had there cake and eaten it! 100k bloody amazing...

They're not short on cash, and won't be any time soon.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    They're not short on cash, and won't be any time soon.

Crazy Country we live in aint it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    So if the company paid for this 5 years ago, does that mean the taxpayer has paid for all expenses the business incurred ?

Stop the presses !!!!!!!

The tax payer has bought 6000 rolls of bogroll for Quinndirect staff !!!!!

At least those 6000 rolls of bogroll were put to good use, not like a cake worth 100 grand that was fed to other overpaid thieves and their families. Bet the staff of Quinndirect didn't see a crumb of the cake and neither did any of the people that had insurance with Quinn. And am damn sure that the taxpayers now wouldn't be too happy to see that the money they are now paying, helped to subsidise a waste of money cake - especially one that helped stuff the faces of other fatcats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It happened 5 years ago and was charged to his company. Nothing wrong with that at the time

of course there. How can you possibly claim that that was a valid expense attributable to company operations?

I wonder if theres any slices left over? They can stick a file in it and send it to Quinn junior :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Terrible if this happened, but has anyone given evidence as to the actual cost ?

Just published by the Irish Times five minutes ago:
    Documents salvaged within the last few weeks from a damaged computer in Russia show the family of bankrupt businessman Seán Quinn had employment contracts with Russian companies providing for multi-million payments for termination of their employment, including almost €36 million each for Aoife, Ciara and Colette Quinn, the former Anglo Irish Bank has claimed.

The material also showed contracts providing termination payments of €26m for Peter Darragh Quinn, Mr Quinn's nephew, and almost €15m for his son, Seán Junior, the bank said.

Under other contracts dated June 15th 2011, with additions of July 26th 2011, Seán Quinn Junior's wife Karen Woods - at the time his fiancée - was to receive termination payments of more than €36m and an annual salary of about €560,000 , while Niall McPartland, husband of Ciara Quinn, had contracts for similar sums, it is claimed.

Some of the contracts were back-dated to make it appear they were signed before a court order was made on June 27th 2011, restraining the stripping of assets from the Quinn's international property group, the bank has also alleged.

Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, formerly Anglo, says this and other new evidence shows Seán Quinn Junior was a "key decision maker" in relation to management and control of Russian and other international companies at the centre of alleged asset-stripping measures.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1002/breaking52.html
    In an affidavit, Richard Woodhouse of IBRC, formerly Anglo, said the "significant" new documents had been obtained by the bankruptcy administrator appointed in late July by it to Finansstroy, a key Russian company in the Quinn's IPG, from that company's computer damaged harddrive.

Anyone like to guess how or why the drive might have got damaged?

Just read that wow some corruption going on with in.

• Advertisement

patwicklow wrote: »
    Just read that wow some corruption going on with in.

They are up to their necks in it!

Their supporters are sheer blind.

They are up to their necks in it!

Their supporters are sheer blind.

That is for sure well there will always be sheep that follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Madness.

I know it's quite sickening at this point!!!!

Well it will be grand sure, we as a nation will just sit by waiting for our butter vouchers come budget time....

tan11ie wrote: »
    I know it's quite sickening at this point!!!!

Well it will be grand sure, we as a nation will just sit by waiting for our butter vouchers come budget time....

You would be lucky - we will be giving another 18 Billion away for free next year.
    So vouchers will probably go too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A damaged drive is usually corrupt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Bloody hell... It's like something out of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly!

• Advertisement

Strange, on the day Quinn jr is in the supreme court trying to prove his jailing was illegal,the IBRC produces more evidence of Quinn wrongdoing.

Do not mistake my thinking that the whole government and Anglo are at fault here as my supporting Quinn.....he was a rich man who got greedy and gambled with peoples futures, but I suspect that the table was rigged.
    While we all focus our anger on Quinn the likes of Seanie Fitz and his political masters walk round the golf course laughing.

Strange, on the day Quinn jr is in the supreme court trying to prove his jailing was illegal,the IBRC produces more evidence of Quinn wrongdoing.

What's strange about that?
    The IBRC is introducing further evidence that Quinn JR had supposedly broken the court stated orders, that he was in contempt of court.
    I find nothing strange about that - they are defending and fortifying their position that the Quinns had defied the court and were up to other antics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they didn't have a backup then should they not get prosecuted for failing to keep tax records for the legal minimum of seven years ?

Far , far too many people under investigation for financial irregularities in this country have had convenient floods and fires.

If they didn't have a backup then should they not get prosecuted for failing to keep tax records for the legal minimum of seven years ?

Far, far too many people under investigation for financial irregularities in this country have had convenient floods and fires.

Aaa... now 'ere!
    It was all coincidence your honour! ;) :pac:

While we all focus our anger on Quinn the likes of Seanie Fitz and his political masters walk round the golf course laughing.
    In an ideal world the Quinns could get lighter sentences than they deserve if the evidence they give is instrumental in nailing those who wiped out our economic independence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement