Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 insurance

• 30-09-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I hope to get a new iPhone in in the next few days but I was wondering where is the best place to insure it. Also I was wondering what do the different companys cover thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I would also be interested in hearing about this. I know Three offer insurance but heard it is quite expensive and you can get better for cheaper online. So would be interested in hearing how others insure their iPhones, if at all! Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Options are :

Add it to home Insurance.
    Take out policy as recommended by network.
    Chill.ie
    Mibilecover.ie
    Gadgetinsurance.ie

My GF is with CPP through meteor/eMobile. 9.99 per month an their policy conditions seem to be very very good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Chill is a fiver a month....

Gadget insurance is €70 a year but covers up to 5 devices (but only 1 phone), so stuff like a tablet, camera could be covered under one policy.

Chill is a fiver a month....

Dont think that plan covers an iPhone, does it?
    Gadget insurance is €70 a year but covers up to 5 devices (but only 1 phone), so stuff like a tablet, camera could be covered under one policy.

you need to go to the next level of cover at 139 per year as the 79 per year plan only covers up to €500.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do all of those cover loss or accidental damage, though? Some policies can be very tight about the circumstances they pay out under.

I took Vodafone's cover on Friday as I didn't want to be without cover while I checked out other options.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Do all of those cover loss or accidental damage, though? Some policies can be very tight about the circumstances they pay out under.

I took Vodafone's cover on Friday as I didn't want to be without cover while I checked out other options.

CPP do, the others have it as options, theft is always covered but loss is an option on most of them.

CPP seem to be very good and i would go with them if i could as they cover theft, loss, water damage and self accidental damage to the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

About adding gadgets to Home insurance...
    Some policies can have an excess up to 500€ so check before reyling on it.

Actual gadget insurance,check the small print fully. You might be surprisd what isnt covered or what hoops you habe to jump though.

CPP phonesafe have a fairly terrible reputation for denying claims.

http://www.cpp.co.uk/termsandconditions/termsAndConditionsUKPhonesafeDefault/
    Loss, theft, damage or breakdown if this happens whilst your phone is being used by someone who is not registered on your policy as an authorised user
    dont let anyone else near it
    Any phone that does not contain a SIM card at the time of the incident claimed for
    just strange
    Damage, loss or theft where you havent taken reasonable precautions to prevent this ... leaving your phone unattended in a public place
    Loss or theft of your phone from any property or premises unless there is evidence of a break-in.
    Theft where your phone has been stolen from a car or other vehicle...evidence that the vehicle has been broken into
    these are the main ones, unless your phone is robbed at knifepoint, it seems considered to be "your own fault" and not covered.
    Loss Theft Accidental Damage or Breakdown Malicious damage
    Report to Police N/A Within 24 hours of discovery N/A Within 24 hours of discovery
    Report to CPP Phonesafe Within 48 hours of discovery
    check consumer issues for people who have been caught on these ones. phone stolen but not reported to police in 24 hours, no claim. and you cant go back in time and report it stolen. so lose your phone saturday night, notice it gone sunday, ring CPP on monday to report it stolen. first thing they ask is did you report to police. of course you didnt! claim denied and closed :/

subway wrote: »
    CPP phonesafe have a fairly terrible reputation for denying claims.

http://www.cpp.co.uk/termsandconditions/termsAndConditionsUKPhonesafeDefault/

dont let anyone else near it
    just strange

these are the main ones, unless your phone is robbed at knifepoint, it seems considered to be "your own fault" and not covered.

check consumer issues for people who have been caught on these ones. phone stolen but not reported to police in 24 hours, no claim. and you cant go back in time and report it stolen. so lose your phone saturday night, notice it gone sunday, ring CPP on monday to report it stolen. first thing they ask is did you report to police. of course you didnt! claim denied and closed :/

they are pretty standard exclusions in fairness and would be present in all mobile phone insurance policies. One thing to note is their T&C's are different on their site to what is actually covered. When you get the IRL leaflet it covers iPhones over the value of what the say on their site.

Like any policy, it comes down to how you word the loss or theft.

The link above is for UK claims, so the IRL ones are slightly different when bought through Meteor/eMobile.

in fairness, just because they are standard, doesnt make them reasonable or fair.
    plenty of people dont know about the exclusions either. i cant find any links online to the Irish ones, but I'd imagine they are faily similar going by what I've read online and heard from friends etc.
    Like any policy, it comes down to how you word the loss or theft.
    am i misreading this or are you suggesting people need to be less than 100% truthful when making a claim? if thats the case, then i guess we are in agreement, because a service that you have to defraud to get value from is not really all that great. if not, then I'm not sure what you mean here.

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    in fairness, just because they are standard, doesnt make them reasonable or fair.
    plenty of people dont know about the exclusions either. i cant find any links online to the Irish ones, but I'd imagine they are faily similar going by what I've read online and heard from friends etc.

But they are standard on them all. They are not hidden etc Its up to the customer to make their mind up if they are getting value or not.

Its like car insurance policies. You leave the keys in the ignition and run into the house to grab your coat, somebody takes your car, your policy doesnt pay out because you havent taken reasonable precautions to prevent this.

Theres no links to the Irish T&C's. You have to buy the policy through your network. I was quite worried when her policy first came out as i googled their name and went to their site to find we dont cover phones over 400stg, no iPhones etc etc

but when her policy documents arrive it was all their in print. Even the excess figures are different. €60 in first 2 months, €30 after and €50 for any second or third or more claims. Ill check the document properly tonight and post some of their T7C's or even scan it, might be easier :)

Im not defending them here, they are all out to make money at the end of the day, so its up to the end user at the end of the day i suppose.

kceire wrote: »
    But they are standard on them all. They are not hidden etc Its up to the customer to make their mind up if they are getting value or not.

Im not defending them here, they are all out to make money at the end of the day, so its up to the end user at the end of the day i suppose.

i get what you're saying, in the same regard, I'm not really trying to attack them, just the OP doesn't seem to have any info so I thought it might be good for him to have a think about what he is signing up for. too many people sign up thinking the 10en p/m covers them for everything and then feel like they've been caught out when it comes to claiming.
    I know they are doing nothing illegal, but, IMO, there does need to be better consumer protection around how these policies are advertised and what can be put in T&Cs vs what needs to be shoved in the consumers face ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

I have my iphone 4 covered with chill. their policy seems pretty straight forward on what they will and wont cover, and they DO cover for water damage, which a lot dont. its €6 per month which to me is pretty reasonable, my friend pays 10 a month with vodafone. the gadget insurance policy is 79 for up to 5 gadgets but if you read the nitty gritty you'd be lucky to get any money back on anything they have that many conditions.a quick search on boards gives the thumbs up to chill, and thumbs down to the gadget insurance policy.

mel123 wrote: »
    I have my iphone 4 covered with chill. their policy seems pretty straight forward on what they will and wont cover, and they DO cover for water damage, which a lot dont. its €6 per month which to me is pretty reasonable, my friend pays 10 a month with vodafone.

The difference between your friends policy and yours is that if he/she loses his or its stolen, his/hers policy will pay out, yours wont.

The €6 Chill policy is really only for accidential damage and water cover, to me it has 2 of the main areas covered, but i'd want loss and theft on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

kceire wrote: »
    The difference between your friends policy and yours is that if he/she loses his or its stolen, his/hers policy will pay out, yours wont.

The €6 Chill policy is really only for accidential damage and water cover, to me it has 2 of the main areas covered, but i'd want loss and theft on it too.

Why would they not cover me for loss or theft??
    An extract from my policy

a) In the event of accidental damage to the device, repair of the device by an authorised person provided it is not damaged beyond economic repair. Where only part or parts of your device have been damaged, Chill Gadget Insurance will only repair or replace that part or parts. If the device is damaged beyond repair we will replace the device with a model of the same or similar specification.
    (b) In the event of theft, replacement of the device with a model of the same or similar specification. Where only part or parts of your device have been stolen, Chill Gadget Insurance will only replace that part or parts.
    In the case of (a) and (b) the insurers liability shall in no case exceed, including VAT, a replacement value of €1,000
    (c) In the case of a Mobile Phone, Smartphone or iPhone, replacement of accidentally damaged batteries, phone chargers, ear pieces or carrying cases not exceeding €130 including VAT.
    (d) Where the device you have insured is a Mobile Phone, Smartphone or iPhone, in the event of the theft of your device, the cost of any fraudulent calls made. The theft must be reported by the insured within 24 hours of the theft occurring to the Gardaí and your Mobile Network Provider to ensure that the SIM card is cancelled. The insurer’s liability shall not exceed €1000, including VAT, in respect of such fraudulent calls.

mel123 wrote: »
    Why would they not cover me for loss or theft??
    An extract from my policy

a) In the event of accidental damage to the device, repair of the device by an authorised person provided it is not damaged beyond economic repair. Where only part or parts of your device have been damaged, Chill Gadget Insurance will only repair or replace that part or parts. If the device is damaged beyond repair we will replace the device with a model of the same or similar specification.
    (b) In the event of theft, replacement of the device with a model of the same or similar specification. Where only part or parts of your device have been stolen, Chill Gadget Insurance will only replace that part or parts.
    In the case of (a) and (b) the insurers liability shall in no case exceed, including VAT, a replacement value of €1,000
    (c) In the case of a Mobile Phone, Smartphone or iPhone, replacement of accidentally damaged batteries, phone chargers, ear pieces or carrying cases not exceeding €130 including VAT.
    (d) Where the device you have insured is a Mobile Phone, Smartphone or iPhone, in the event of the theft of your device, the cost of any fraudulent calls made. The theft must be reported by the insured within 24 hours of the theft occurring to the Gardaí and your Mobile Network Provider to ensure that the SIM card is cancelled. The insurer’s liability shall not exceed €1000, including VAT, in respect of such fraudulent calls.

My apolagies but when you said you had the €6 policy from Chill, i thought it was this policy :
    https://www.chill.ie/products/gadget-insurance/quote/

Heres what the €6 policy on www.chill.ie covers :
    • Accidental Damage and Write off
    • Accessories Covered
    • Liquid Damage
    • Worldwide cover

222850.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Due to spending half the last year with a 3GS instead of a 4S as I had no insurance, I decided to get it this time around.

I'm paying 12.99 a month with o2, that covers product failure, loss, accidental damage and theft. Cheaper option for 6 quid that doesn't cover loss/theft so I can't risk that - I can't imagine the rage I'd be in with another robbery and only paying the cheaper insurance :eek:

I don't have the T&C's yet but let me know if you want specifics in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I went with the mobileinsurance.ie (its zurich) for the 5. Took out the 12.99 top cover. At least its fully loaded. I was paying the same for fonesure since I got my iphone 4, but this is a lot better cover. Hopefully I'll never need it thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

anyone figure out the excess on claims with chill or zurich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

savic04 wrote: »
    anyone figure out the excess on claims with chill or zurich?

Been searching for those details and found some details for Chill...and for Mobilecover.ie as they are both done through Rose Hill Insurances (which is then underwritten by Zurich)

On Chill the excess is €50 for iPhone- €35 for others Link
    The policy excess on our gadget insurance policy is only €35 for mobile phones and smart phones (excludes Apple iPhone). The excess on the Apple iPhone, tablet devices and laptops is €50

Can't find the excess on Mobilecover as it states it is in the Policy documentation...however they link to a Policy Document that has more specifics...the only surprise there is on page 2 under exclusions: Please note that if you make a claim within the first 60 days of taking out cover and your device is older than 30 days when cover is confirmed you are required to pay an additional €50 excess charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Vodafone. €10p/mth*. Accidental damage/loss/stolen - all covered and a rapid replacement to your door. 35€ for first claim ( well it used to be ) and this will increase if you claim again within 12mths to €100+ AFAIK.

o2 is an extra €3/mth I think

*this was for 4/4S handset belonging to a colleague in the 2nd quarter of this year so fair to assume that the 5 wont be too far away, cost-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Just in case anyone has an Ulster Bank U First account they provide free smart phone insurance.

The account costs a tenner a month but they were doing deals a few years ago so they forefeited the 10 euro per month charge for our staff when they were trying to lure a few thousand of us across.

In retrospect, a terrible deal for them, great deal for us.
    Might be worth it even with the fee for some people - there are some other handy benefits - 25% back on all Ticketmaster purchases among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheSituation

from reading everything i get the impression cpp and vodafone insurance are the most reliable?

do you have to be on vodafone to get insurance for your phone? stupid question but have to ask it

thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

from reading everything i get the impression cpp and vodafone insurance are the most reliable?

do you have to be on vodafone to get insurance for your phone? stupid question but have to ask it

thanks,
    Yep.

dodzy wrote: »
    Yep.

Same with CPP, they are not accepting new direct business uess bought through a network such as meteor or eMobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Gone with Vodafone's €10 per month insurance.

Advertisement