Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleep deprivation.... How does it affect you?

• 30-09-2012 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

If I've gone even just a couple of nights deprived of a decent sleep, I start to feel angry at everything, randomly feel like bursting into tears, and I want to kill everyone (not literally - just in case.) I'm feeling a bit like that now actually.

How does sleep deprivation manifest itself in you? What happens to ye?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i used to get really really really good at age of empires until all of a sudden i'd get ****
    then i'd know it was time to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I turn into a right moody bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭TheBody

My brain stops working. Can't figure out any sort of problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,371 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tiredness, strangley enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Usually start getting headaches if I don't sleep properly or at all for a few days. Years ago when I had to commute at stupid times I'd fall asleep very suddenly sorta like blacking out - usually would wake up when I'd hit my head , 3 months of that and I decided it wasn't worth my health.

If I do miss a proper nights sleep I need to make it up at some point the same week or I'll be cranky for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ahava

Short term sleep deprivation (1-2 nights of limited sleep) makes me moody, demotivated, pessimistic and of course tired.

Medium term sleep deprivation (up to 3 almost completely sleepless nights) makes me hyper. I become super energetic, have problems focusing on anything, can't sit still for even a few minutes, get a scattered mind and my body gets super sensitive to the point of trembling all over.

Long term (4 night or more) my body starts to shut down. I can hardly breathe, have a massive headache all the time, feel exhausted, start obsessively thinking about my own mortality, I overreact to any sensory stimulation and get overly dramatic - everything becomes such a big deal!

Isn't it bizarre how we absolutely have to spend a third of our lives completely unconscious just to stay sane and healthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I get kinda numb which scares the bejeebies out of me so I catch up the following night usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

When I go two days without sleep, it doesn't do a whole lot to me. I might get a bit cold and slow when my body thinks it should be asleep but it always goes away soon.

I could have a routine of going to bed at 2 in the morning and even if I stayed up 48h+, I still couldn't fall asleep until then. I'm fine for staying up because I find it so hard to fall asleep a lot of the time.

Waking up is a different story tho! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It doesn't affect me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

i used to get really really really good at age of empires until all of a sudden i'd get ****
    then i'd know it was time to sleep

I miss the cosy feel of those old PC games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't sleep much anyway (insomnia, yay :rolleyes: ) unless I take a sleeping tablet (which I refuse to do unless desperate as I don't want to be medicated), so I'm used to it.

I could easily go 2 or 3 days with absolutely no sleep, but usually I sleep 2 hours a night if I'm lucky. I tend to feel a bit moody and lazy when I get up to do stuff, but a few coffees in the morning and I'm set for the day. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

makes me go crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

makes me go crazy

No tv and no beer makes me go crazy. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

If it's just a night or two of little sleep or poor sleep, I am filled with a burning hatred for everyone and everything. If I stay awake long past that phase, I'm really hyper. Flying around like a kite, finding everything hilarious and being acutely aware of all the stuff in my environment. It's awesome for about 5 minutes and then it's just dangerous, tbh.

Think I'll go have a nap right now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Doesn't affect me at all, I alwqys make sure I get enough sleep, have to in my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Makes my anxiety flare up and get very emotional. I once had 5 nights of insomnia and as another poster just said it made me question my mortality. My system shut down I couldn't eat either. The doctor gave me those green rohypnol tablets which knocked me out immediately. It's not proper sleep though if it's too strongly drug induced. I need my sleep so badly. My husband gets up with our 7 week old baby at night as he's not badly affected by lack of sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

I get nocturnal psychosis !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I usually alternate between getting really tired, and then being very alert again. Though one time when I stayed up from a Friday morning to a Monday night I was so exhausted by the end I started to see things which served to say "I should really get some rest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

When I worked nights I would work 4 in a row with only 2 hours sleep between plus 100mile round trip...
    Without doubt I was a total antichrist, ye couldn't look crooked at me or I'd snap and bite the head of you.. After a month of it I had no interest in anything or anyone.. the house could burn down round me and I wouldn't care..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Constant mild headache is the main one for me, and a kind of withdrawal from life. Not wanting to do any work or talk to people.

I usually can't sleep because of my anxiety, which just gets worse then when I don't as I worry about my performance on no sleep. Its a bad circle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Cant function, cant work, hate everybody, upset, just want to sleep, dont want to concentrate, etc.

Its extremely important that you get a decent nights sleep and not many people seem to understand that. You wouldnt beleive how great you feel after going to bed early before 11 and getting up early, before 7

Become lazy, unsociable and lose most of my interest in sex.. Used to be a trooper but this all came on in the last year or so. Lack of sleep kills me now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

I think you can get away with it the younger you are. I just came off a 12 night shift this morning and got about 4 hours sleep. Its the sleeping during the day which is the worst. I wake up and I feel like my body is on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

so what you're saying is: you all cope with it pretty well??

I forgot to say that my stomach is in bits when I don't get enough sleep, it aches and twinges and it does not like food (but I eat it anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I get around 3 to 4 hours sleep a night during the week because I go to college full-time and have a full-time job where I work nights. Towards the end of the week I feel really tired, but not physically. I feel emotionally tired. I feel like I'm carrying a really heavy burden and it's weighing on my mind. After I get a good sleep, I'm right as rain on Saturday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

If I haven't slept in a long time (say 40hours+) I'll be freezing cold, my hands will shake, kind of manic, mind fog, seeing things. It's crazy how much it can affect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sleep is for the weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Was on the lash friday night with a gang of friends and started on the dreaded red bull and vodka. seemed like a good idea at the time and was in and out of sleep all night. Wide awake at 7 even though i didn't hit the hay until after 4. Was quite emotional all day yesterday. stimulant/depressant mixture is never good!
    Usually i am in bed by 11ish and up at 7 midweek, but boy i would be kranky if i didn't get 7 hours at least.
    In complete denial though would never admit i was a krank at the time.

I love sleep....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I get very irritable and intolerant of discomfort, I feel cold physically and detached emotionally. I guess I just withdraw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Insomniac here :)

I'll be doing well to get 2 hours sleep tonight.
    I guess my head is a bit all over the place because of it.
    Then erratic mixed with alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I don't cope well with little sleep. Even after one poor night's sleep, I'm an absolute zombie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭rednik

I normally get irritable bollox syndrome and prefer being alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

If I don't sleep at all, I get quite hyper around people, overly friendly and cheery! But if I sit down by myself, I fall asleep in a second! Otherwise I'm just incredibly exuberant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Tired but hyper-cranky bordering on hateful-depressed-bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I become grumpy and might not alert/function well if I didn't get enough or sleep couldn't sleep while not getting much hours sleep or else I end up being so exhausted I end up sleeping longer than I should one way of making up for sleep deprivation could be making it up for a few nights in a row to get back in sync. Otherwise If I got a good nights sleep the night before I could get away with less sleep the next night but end up going to bed earlier and sleeping for longer then though.

If it continuous sleep deprivation eventually I cave in and end up going to bed earlier and sleep for longer so making up for loss of sleep if exhausted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Where To wrote: »
    Doesn't affect me at all, I alwqys make sure I get enough sleep, have to in my job.

Are you a sleep inspector?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

My face gets really red when I'm sleep deprived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I love my sleep and I need my sleep and have no trouble sleeping and am a heavy sleeper. Although this year there were a few bouts of insomnia as in lying awake all night, tossing and turning but unable to sleep but thankfully never lasting more than a night.

There have been many times I've been sleep deprived either through extra extra demands or inconsiderate, selfish drunken ****. In fact I wrote a thread here in after hours a few weeks ago about sheer exhaustion.

For me, sleep deprivation feels like a very bad hangover - headaches, nauesa, vomiting, body aches and pains. Sensitive to light and sound. Sometimes it even feels like being drunk. Tripping over my own feet, not walking straight and slurring my speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm constantly sleep deprived. I would go to sleep round 1am and then get up at 6.30am for work. I feel shattered and awful most days.

I try and sleep earlier, but it doesn't work...I end up thinking and rethinking stuff, so have to distract myself by reading until I'm knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jaysus there's an awful amount of softness in here.

being deprived of sleep makes me tired. if i don't get the opportunity to make up the sleep i start to doze off during the day. that's it. i'd hate to see what some of you would do if you weren't privileged enough to have 9 hours a night in a warm bed every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

I have severe moodswings, one minute I'll be bouncing off the walls, high on life and the next I'll be in a fit of rage wanting to punch everyone who annoys me in their stupid face(which would be everyone at that moment in time).. Then I'll hit a brick wall and get really sad and extremely paranoid.. Funnnn times aye? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I turn into the anti christ... every little thing infuriates me, I also get very paranoid and jumpy:o

I dont work well without sleep:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Jaysus there's an awful amount of softness in here.

being deprived of sleep makes me tired. if i don't get the opportunity to make up the sleep i start to doze off during the day. that's it. i'd hate to see what some of you would do if you weren't privileged enough to have 9 hours a night in a warm bed every day of the week.

What's the point of the above? Sleep isn't a privilege it's a necessity. Being affected by sleep deprivation doesn't make you soft. Sleep deprivation can be torturous in fact it has been used as a form of torture throughout history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not something that affects me very often. If I get less than 7 hours a night for a prolonged period (a week or so), then I start to get cold-like symptoms (fuzzy head, cough, general unease), that are fixed by a good 9 hours in bed. I also find myself yearning for bed at 10pm when I could usually go till 2am before realising I should be in bed.

The only time I've done 3/4 hours sleep for 2 or 3 nights in a row is when I'm at some kind of drinking occassion like a wedding, so it doesn't really count, you can just keep going.

I've a child on the way, so ask me in about two months and I'll be able to tell you how sleep deprivation really affects me :D
    I can't sleep during the day and I'm usually fairly functional regardless of how much I've slept, so I suspect I'll just be tired a lot of the time and dropping stuff or walking into doors, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I get this weird side - effect if i'm sleep deprived (say 2 nights) and out and about.
    I think i recognise people, until they come closer & i realise it's not them.
    Some kind of visual/ brain disturbance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

I get really really hyper when I'm tired and talk a load of crap.

Advertisement