Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

India

• 30-09-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

Hoping to do some travel in India in the next couple of months.
    Will have to organise around work commitments so I'll be limited to long weekends for the most part. Bangalore is my base. I'd like to visit Dehli (taking in Agra), Kerala & Goa - not all the same weekend obviously :)
    Any advice for a solo traveller? Better still, any fellow boardsies in this part of the world looking to do some travel, would love to hear from you.

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, you'll really enjoy India absolutely fantastic country, airline travel is the easiest way to travel but train travel is a thing you should try for the "experience". Goa is a small state the north of goa is full of package tourists and the south is nicier think. Kerala has some great scenery and beaches and Delhi is a crazy city make sure you take in the central market, Agra is easy enough by train and also head for Varanasi were the ghats are and the pyres burn 24hrs a day. Chennai and Mumbai are two more cities for a weekend away. It's a great adventure your heading on enjoy. The weather will be great and the food fantastic oh and the beer is good to all at a really cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

How long does it normally take for the visa to come through? I applied on the 2nd and i'm still waiting.. According to the embassys site it should only take 5 working days.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it because they probably would've contacted me. I just have ants in the pants and wanted it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 markcooper006

my birth copuntry..... best place on earth....

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Problem sorted.. I sent a copy of my passport in with my application.. Now i have to go in tomorrow with my original one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

I leave for India on Monday morning. Dreading the thoughts of it as from what i hear its an awful ****hole.

Is the food edible? Is there anything western options? Really don't fancy eating curry and naan bread for 6 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

MagnusDamm wrote: »
    I leave for India on Monday morning. Dreading the thoughts of it as from what i hear its an awful ****hole.

Is the food edible? Is there anything western options? Really don't fancy eating curry and naan bread for 6 weeks!

Well as you can see from the other replies here, lots of people think India is fabulous. You'll get out if it what you put into it so try and get a better attitude by Monday!

The food is amazing but yes, you can get Western options if you like. And by the way, there are a gazillion types of curry so I assure you that you'd have to work really hard to eat the same thing for six weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

MagnusDamm wrote: »

Why are you going to India for 6 weeks if you hear its an awful ****hole?!? If its a work related trip you should try make most of it, I'd give my right arm for that kind of opportunity!

Im sure there will be McDonapds and KFC over there, along with the odd generic Irish & brit bar serving overpriced crappy quality pints if thats what you're into.

lc180 wrote: »
    Why are you going to India for 6 weeks if you hear its an awful ****hole?!? If its a work related trip you should try make most of it, I'd give my right arm for that kind of opportunity!

Im sure there will be McDonapds and KFC over there, along with the odd generic Irish & brit bar serving overpriced crappy quality pints if thats what you're into.

Yes work

What part of India you going to? It's start of monsoon season now but still it'll be bloody hot!!! There's plenty of food options to be had loads of international restaurants, best to eat at international hotels if your not to interested in eating in local restaurants.

What part of India you going to? It's start of monsoon season now but still it'll be bloody hot!!! There's plenty of food options to be had loads of international restaurants, best to eat at international hotels if your not to interested in eating in local restaurants.
    Few days in Delhi then rest at sambalpur. I heard its an awful spot. Hope I can eat as I'm not a fan of curry and I hate rice!

• Advertisement

Have a look at Delhi trip advisor you'll find reviews on restaurants this will give you a general idea on what's on offer there's American French bakeries loads to choose from.... Best of luck, I enjoyed Delhi but its absoultly manic get ready for the crowds heat and SMELLS!!!
    If you have a few days off why not head up to Agra for the Taj Mahal you can do it by train from samblpur.

Advertisement