Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate times:

Options
  • 30-09-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So, I've been un-employed for three years and on the JSA. I've been actively seeking work and the Social welfare are happy with my efforts and I have also attended FAS and regular courses. But just this Friday gone, I received a letter from the social welfare telling me that my payments have been cut in half. I live with my girlfriend, who works part-time but her shifts could easily be 5 four-hour shifts. She earns on average 200 euro a week, my JSA is being slashed from 188 to 96 PW. Our rent alone is 650 a month, and my half of the rent is 81.25 per week.. With the 'new' JSA figure I can pay my rent and have 14 euro for the rest of my bills and food. Is this correct.. I mean.. I feel like the social welfare system is turning it's back on me, we won't be able to pay our bills or feed ourselves.. I'm 24, and born and raised in Ireland. My girlfriend can barely pay for her car as it is to ensure she can get to work.. My JSA is cut as of now which means tomorrow (1st october 2012) I will be unable to pay bills and I'll loose my home.. What am I to do..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

So, I've been un-employed for three years and on the JSA. I've been actively seeking work and the Social welfare are happy with my efforts and I have also attended FAS and regular courses. But just this Friday gone, I received a letter from the social welfare telling me that my payments have been cut in half. I live with my girlfriend, who works part-time but her shifts could easily be 5 four-hour shifts. She earns on average 200 euro a week, my JSA is being slashed from 188 to 96 PW. Our rent alone is 650 a month, and my half of the rent is 81.25 per week.. With the 'new' JSA figure I can pay my rent and have 14 euro for the rest of my bills and food. Is this correct.. I mean.. I feel like the social welfare system is turning it's back on me, we won't be able to pay our bills or feed ourselves.. I'm 24, and born and raised in Ireland. My girlfriend can barely pay for her car as it is to ensure she can get to work.. My JSA is cut as of now which means tomorrow (1st october 2012) I will be unable to pay bills and I'll loose my home.. What am I to do..

Why are they cutting your payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Changing dreams

The letter states that it is because of my girlfriends work hours, they say she is not part-time because she could work more than three days a week, even tho her hours cap at 20 regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The letter states that it is because of my girlfriends work hours, they say she is not part-time because she could work more than three days a week, even tho her hours cap at 20 regardless.

No, because she does work more than three days I believe, even though her hours are only 20

I would imagine you need to approach the Social about this directly, either with her or without, and explain the situation as you've explained it here. Bring proof's with you as a way of showing just how much your rent is and how this cut drastically affects your living costs. Bring Petrol receipts if needs be.

Also, if it is possible, it would be good for your girlfriend to try and obtain a letter from her job stating that they'd like to offer her more hours but they can't due to financial or social or whatever reasons they have....you need to obtain this so the Job Centre are under no illusion that she is earning perhaps more than declaring and that she isn't doing the odd overtime hours here and there...that's what I would imagine could be done to at least quell the situation

Good luck

Thank you for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

As you are co-hab with your girlfriend any earnings she has from employment will be assessed as means for your jsa. Rent paid by you is not taken into account when calculating means.

• Advertisement

I was in with my local officer today and an error was made on my claim and my JSA was increased by 28 euro to 188 + 28 PW. I am so grateful to the social!

Thank you guys for your replies and help, it calmed me down over the weekend and I was able to think level-headedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^ Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

First off I'm glad you got sorted with your payments sorted for now...but I am thinking of the bigger long-term picture. And please do not feel offended or anything, just giving advice. I appreciate things are extremely tough on the work-front.
    You are a young man, 24, in the prime of life and you have been on the dole for 3 years? What is the plan because I really think you need to look at your options re work (here or abroad).
    Again please do not take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

mfitzy wrote: »
    First off I'm glad you got sorted with your payments sorted for now...but I am thinking of the bigger long-term picture. And please do not feel offended or anything, just giving advice. I appreciate things are extremely tough on the work-front.
    You are a young man, 24, in the prime of life and you have been on the dole for 3 years? What is the plan because I really think you need to look at your options re work (here or abroad).
    Again please do not take offence.

Dont get offended by this but I Dont really think thats any of your business to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As the OP is sorted.

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement