Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions East Coast Itinerary

Options
  • 30-09-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking to go to US for about 14 days next year decided not to try & do too much so going to stay on the East coast.

So where would people suggest I go & for how long? Can I fly to NY & leave from Chicago?

At moment thinking of NY, Boston, Chicago maybe Washington.

Thanks

pavb2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I like where you said you didn't want to do too much, then said you wanted to visit four major cities. That's plenty!

Not that it has to change your plans, but Chicago isn't on the coast. Probably about a two-hour flight from the other cities. Yes, you can fly in and out of different cities. Once you're in the US, for your purposes, state lines don't really exist.

All the places you mentioned are probably large enough to entertain you for your entire trip, so I'm not sure what advice to give you as far as time spent in each one. Depends on what kinds of things you'd like to do and see, I suppose.

How are you planning on getting around? Probably a four-hour drive from Boston to NY and about 4:30 from NY to DC.

I'd throw in that Philadelphia is a worthy destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

So if I include Philadelphia and pick 3 out of the five cities one being NY which other 2.

Have 2 kids 14 & 16 so looking at general sight seeing,historical sites etc just to experience the US.

Probably wouldn't drive but fly or take train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I have been to all the cities you're thinking of going to. Logistically it would be easier to do Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and Washington DC. All these cities are reasonably close to each other and you're generally heading in the one direction for the trip which is south. Megabus serve all of them so you can get around really cheap. I think my Megabus bus ticket from NYC to Philadelphia was something like 8 dollars one way. Check out the likes of Bolt Bus and Peter Pan as well.

Boston, Washington and NYC are all worth visiting but if I had to choose between Philadelphia and Chicago I'd pick Chicago. The problem is Chicago is a nice bit away from the east coast. I took the train from Washington to Chicago and it took 23 hours. I wasn't in a rush so it didn't bother me but if you're only there for 2 weeks it might be a consideration. The train was reasonably cheap and comfortable. It's probably a monster of a drive as well so to make best use of your time I'd recommend flying.

I'd think doing all 5 cities in 2 weeks would be too much though. If you're looking for history you can't go wrong with Boston, Philadelphia and Washington DC. Plenty of sightseeing between them and throw NYC on top of that you won't be stuck for stuff to see and do. Chicago is a fantastic city but leaving it for another trip might be for the best.

Advertisement