Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year, MICE

• 30-09-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Its that time of the year again, mice invasion time. Has anyone heard or caught any mice in the house yet.
    They usually arrive in mine at the end of sept. so expecting them any day now.
    I had a company out to check over the house to see where they might be getting in, and he couldnt find anywhere. He said it must be via next doors house or via the roof.
    And considering we have a large 3 storey house, would be an expensive job to get someone to check the roof, so we just have to brace ourselves every year for the onslaught.
    Let the games begin!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

There are rats in the park across from my house, being precautious. Seen two while walking Lola :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Oh god, I would definitely be gone if I ever had rats in the house. I suppose its a case of 'better the devil you know'. At least if I have mice in the house, rats wont come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Do you have room in your life for a cat?
    After seeing rats in the garden many years ago, we got a rescue kitty, have been a big cat fan ever since, and never need worry about the mices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The cat caught one a couple of weeks and had fun playing with it. Not sure what she did with it in the end as it hasn't re-appeared since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's the roof you could check out the attic itself and see if they are coming in through vents or any holes there they should be easy to block with 1/4 inch aviary wire without blocking air from the vents. Also check areas like hot press and any built in wardrobes if they are older ones especially.
    Also holes around the fireplace or anywhere in the kitchen or where there are gaps or plumbing pipes.
    Peppermint oil aparently puts they off so maybe burning it in an oil burned or rubbing some on radiators or on cotton pads and place them in the areas you think the mice might be might help.

Problem is with getting cat is 1.you'd want to be sure you have the time/money/interest in a new pet and 2. cats might help kill off mice but they will also leave them on your pillow as a pressie or half alive bleah..I love cats but they can be a bit generous with their presents.

Good old fashioned wooden mouse traps are quick and humane, use sellotape to secure the food as otherwise the trap might go off and miss the mouse or worse catch it by the tail or not kill the mouse instantly. The humane traps work but you have to think about where to release the mouse and many die anyway from the stress of being confined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

Caught the first mouse today....hiding in the hoover of all places! He ran across the room the second my dog walked out of the room.We knew he was around with the scratching noises coming from behind the electric fire. Chased him into a box and left him out in the back garden...only to be told that you should never leave them out near the house as they'll know their way back...oops!! Guess we'll have a few little guests for the winter! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

We have cats and dogs, doesn't stop the mice coming in. The cats help them, one of ours goes off into the fields, catches them and brings them into the house:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Make sure every possible mouse entry point is sealed up,ie around pipes,vents,floorboards,in the attic etc.Try not to keep any exterior doors open for extended periods of time.

Try not to leave crumbs on floors/counters etc.Store food in sealed tupperware boxes.
    Use peanut butter or chocolate spread as bait on the wooden spring traps,as the bait cant be removed and the mice will have to lick it,which is more likely to set off the trap.

Seriously consider getting a cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

zef wrote: »
    Do you have room in your life for a cat?
    After seeing rats in the garden many years ago, we got a rescue kitty, have been a big cat fan ever since, and never need worry about the mices.
    Cats are ok at it problem is they play with their catch or bring it to u
    Get a ferret
    I brought my 3 to my mates other day who had rats under deckin
    All 3 went under and well u can guess the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Cats are the best i have had two over the space of ten years and have never seen a mouse near my house apart from when they bring them to your front doorstep . That only happens around once a year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It turns into a roundabout this time of year. Catch the mouse, release him into the park, repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I had a bad mouse infestation last year. (Was in denial for too long and they just took over the place) It nearly broke my will to go on! After getting rid of them with snap-traps and poison I got a guy to come in and seal up the holes they had made in the skirting boards.

The house is an old cottage with thick concrete walls but my bedroom was renovated around twenty years ago from two small rooms to one big room. This meant closing up doorways etc so there's 2 walls in my bedroom that are 'hollow' as in, there's space behind the plasterboard.

Now I'm positive that mice are coming in from the garage (located right beside my bedroom) and they are definitely in that wall as I've been lying awake listening to them for the last couple of weeks. They're not in the house itself as I have bait and traps down that haven't been touched and no sign of droppings etc.

Total nightmare now as they are happily living in the wall making a racket and there's feck all I can do about it. I have bait boxes down in the garage which are being nibbled but unfortunately the noise goes on and on.

Am seriously considering Rentokil but am afraid that I'll pay them a fortune but that the problem won't be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

Does anyone know if those solar sound wave things work?? After releasing two into the back garden (stupid I know) we found another two munching on bread on the kitchen counter yesterday evening. I'm not willing to kill them so will be trying the humane traps but if those things actually work I might just invest in a good one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I didnt find the electronic devices any good. I put one in the attic and the mouse went into the trip right beside the device. Not very many good reviews for them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Caught 1 yesterday , old school trap with cheese.
    last year had 5 of them, my dog came in with a half dead one in his mouth and dropped it at my feet.

Advertisement