Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Framework or not to framework, that is the question!

Options
  • 30-09-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so as dramatic the title may sound, the question is simple:

I am making project in college, basically simple login/registration small processing stuff. Should I use PHP framwork or not?
    I can easily make login forms, registration forms, handle the databases, I know the queries from top of my head, well easier to say: I don't see any reason to use framework, but should I? I mean what are the advantages?
    I can handle sessions/cookies/queries/logins myself, why would I need framework for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

For a basic site, you can get away with it, for a bigger site, having a uniform way of handling inputs, db access, routing urls and helpers to output the HTML for common tasks is invaluable. Why write all that boilerplate if you can help it?

You should never think you can do a better job than a good framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

For a basic site, you can get away with it, for a bigger site, having a uniform way of handling inputs, db access, routing urls and helpers to output the HTML for common tasks is invaluable. Why write all that boilerplate if you can help it?

You should never think you can do a better job than a good framework.

I am not thinking that, what I am thinking is:
    Is using framework really that much helpful if it's gonna take me twice as long to make this project?

Without framework: rougly two days.
    With framework: day learning + maybe 1.5 days.

But yeah for big projects obviously framework is good I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I answered the question, for a small site doesn't matter. If you want to learn a framework, a small project is a good way to start. Once you've put the time in, you have that knowledge. This is how you get better, otherwise you're going to churn out the same code over and over. Some people don't want to do that. If you don't care, don't use a framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

A day learning is an investment rather than a cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It depends on the aim of your project and what you will get most marks for.

If you will get marks for implementing your own login system, then do so. If you won't get marks for it then don't bother, a framework will do it quicker and easier, and you can focus your efforts on the parts that will earn you marks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement