Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House numbers in 1901 & 1911 Censuses

• 30-09-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I have read elsewhere that "The house numbers on the census were the enumerator's own private numbering system, to ensure he visited every home. However he did go in some sort of logical route."
    Is this, in fact, the case? Can anyone please clarify -or provide a relevant link to - the situation regarding the house numbering systems in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses.
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

yes - in rural areas these are the enumerators own numbers, or site numbers - no particular sequence involved.

I dont have an external source reference, but I have confirmed this for a number of townlands.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Thanks very much.
    But what is the situation as regards streets in towns?
    I realise that, in the 1911 Census, the heading 'Residents of a house 1 in .....' does not refer to the actual number of the house. But, in your experience, have the house numbers - as given in 'Additional Pages' , 1911 Census, - always been correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

In cities, certainly Dublin, the 1911 site number can often match the actual street numbers at the time. Not so common for towns - especially smaller ones. The additional forms (Form N, B1 etc) use the same site numbers used for the household returns.

You can check the site number verses house number on the reverse of the 1911 forms. This facility is not usually available on the 1901 returns.

The 1901 returns for Dublin have a number of cases where the street numbers do not match the census site numbers - in some cases where the street was new, but not always. In a few of these cases it turns out the the enumerator seems to have continued his count from a main street into a side street or lane.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I hired a geneologist to do a family tree for me and I knew the addresses of my ancestors from the 1901 and 1911 census and the street numbers match the census street numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Thanks very much to both of you. In my experience (with the 1911 census for Portlaoise) the house numbers are usually, but not always, it seems, the actual house numbers at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement