Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopted a kitten

• 30-09-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We adopted a kitten yesterday and not too worried yet but it hasn't eaten anything since we got it. It's about 4 months old. Lovely kitten and not aggressive at all. She is however very shy and skittish. I don't think she has had much human interaction so is probably terrified.

We are being very patient with it now that we've realised how shy it is. It really just keeps hiding if we are around, hoping we can't see it :p I've tried tempting it with tuna but nothing happened. We have toys, cat nip etc but i think it only comes out if we aren't around and hides if we are. I think it isn't litter trained as it didn't use litter tray yesterday but looks like it might have discovered it today as there is a little damp patch in it.

The kitten does allow you to pet it if it is reachable but doesn't really make eye contact and keeps its head buried pretending to be asleep!

I'm just looking for any advice really. I know it can take a few weeks for it to be accustomed to it's environment but hoping i can reassure her that we are not a threat etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think you just need to be patient and give the kitten time to settle in. Everything and everyone in your home will be strange for it. Let it have some space too. It needs time to adjust and feel safe. Its bound to be feeling very vulnerable and overwhelmed at the moment.

I'd suggest sitting on the floor when you talk to or play with it, just to make yourself seem less scary to the kitten. Play is a good way of interacting and bonding. Little treats like chicken too, one of my cats would eat tuna until it came out of his ears, the other couldn't care less if he never saw a bit of it, they both love chicken.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Our littlest one was like that - it took her about 6 weeks to fully come around to us. About this time last year we adopted two little ones - male about 9 weeks and the female about 7 weeks. We were convinced she hated us for ages! He was the opposite and loved attention.

They had their own 'room' and she would hide under the couch or computer desk - but she came around eventually and now follows us everywhere - and loves her cuddles.

I used to spend a little time just sitting on the floor reading, she'd get used to me being there and come out to play with her brother.

It just takes some time and patience. Make sure she has somewhere to 'hide' when she wants to - maybe a little box covered with a blanket. She will eventually get used to you.

Best of luck, they are so much fun at that age. And cats are lovely to have around the house - I love our 4 to bits - wouldn't be without them for anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for the advise. Will deffo take tips on board.

She seems a bit better tonight but will not approach us just yet. She just seems so afraid the poor thing so will take time to adjust.

I'm going to leave her now until she comes to me. I was worried that she didn't eat for 24 hours but she just had some catfood tonight but didn't touch the tuna. I will stick to the same brand for now and eventually she will hopefully come to me for food. I'm just so happy she's eating and drinking for now as was getting worried i'd have to bring her to the vet and terrify her even more:)

Hi again,

Well it has been a few days now and there has been good improvement. She comes to me slowly for food when her bowl is full and will eat it while i sit quietly. She will never come to me though if i bring food to her to eat even if she is hungry.

She is now moving around the house and getting used to the surroundings while wagging her tail sometimes (nerves i presume). I started playing with a fish type rod today with her and she loved it. It was at a good distance though.

She is really terrified of any contact though. She will run away if approached. I even tried to pet her while she was eating and as soon as she saw my hand me moved back. Same if she is in the general area and you stand up, she will scurry away! I presume she just still sees us as a threat even though we're feeding her etc.

My main concern is that she will remain shy because she's getting older everyday. I know i just need to be more patient but hoping for some more tips of how i can gain her affection etc.

Its great to hear that she's settling in. I have 2 adult male cats. One was a feral kitten when he first started showing up in our garden. If we even looked out the window he'd run off. He was terrified of us for ages and since he was living rough somewhere it was a very slow process for him to trust us. It was a year before he let me touch him.

Now he loves to be dried when he comes in on a wet day. He loves to snuggle on my lap and be in the middle of us on the sofa. He even likes to come sit on my head and nibble my hair at about 3am when he's finished his patrol of the neighbourhood.

It just takes a lot of patience and love to build puss's trust in you, but it is so worthwhile.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Cats have to feel very comfortable to let you pet them while they eat. I wouldn't worry if the kitten still doesn't allow you to do this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

That's some good progress. Don't worry about the petting yet - we found with little F she loved being petted when you had your hand lowered - if you approached from up high, she would run away - in fact she still doesn't really like it.

I really thought she was going to be an unaffectionate little thing - but she's great now.

Maybe it's a no-no for you, but would you consider getting another kitten so they have a little buddy to play with? We got both sets in twos and it really helped to settle them in. And really two is much easier than one!

Oh my god, the kitten wants nothing but affection now. A little feather toy worked a treat! Still a bit of a scaredy cat but will come to you to play and be petted now all the time. So happy it didn't take weeks or months. Thanks everyone for the advice:)

Ah thats brilliant, nice to hear she's settled in.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Oh my god, the kitten wants nothing but affection now. A little feather toy worked a treat! Still a bit of a scaredy cat but will come to you to play and be petted now all the time. So happy it didn't take weeks or months. Thanks everyone for the advice:)

Jaffa, the more you entertain and love the kitten the more love you'll get back, we got a kitten two years ago and my partner has great " conversations" with pus pus and she just sits in he's lap looking into he's face, she follows him everywhere in the house. If he's having a bath or shower shell curl up on he's clothes on the floor, always sleeps beside him in bed and curls up on he's lap at the computer, what I'm saying is if you put a lot time into your new little friend you'll get love ten times more back!! Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement