Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing spotlight bulbs; How? In gods name how?

• 30-09-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me, is there a knack or any tips for removing these bulbs. I just moved into a house where they are literally all over the place. Every ceiling in the place has them. When a bulb goes, how in gods name are you meant to get it out.

Just to clarify, there is no spring clip in front of the bulb. They are the two prong rotate and release type. What I have been doing thus far is pushing at the glass with my fingers while trying to rotate the bulb. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The assembly around the bulb is definitely not for removing, I've tried that and almost did significant damage to the surrounding ceiling.

They're horrid bastards, they run so hot, they are such a waste of power. I hate them with a vengeance but it's a rented house so all I can do is live with them for now.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

222540.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

should come out if you apply pressure upwards on the bulb with your two thumbs and rotate it anti clockwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

when you buy them they come with a little suction cup type device for removing the bulbs. can be done with fingers but if they are stiff its hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

pelliven wrote: »
    should come out if you apply pressure upwards on the bulb with your two thumbs and rotate it anti clockwise

So what you're saying is that what I've been doing (push bulb with fingers and rotate) is more or less correct?

It seems hot and miss, sometimes I am putting so much pressure on the bulb I fear it's going to break. I just wondered if there was a knack I was missing out on? But thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

dnme wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, is there a knack or any tips for removing these bulbs. I just moved into a house where they are literally all over the place. Every ceiling in the place has them. When a bulb goes, how in gods name are you meant to get it out.

Just to clarify, there is no spring clip in front of the bulb. They are the two prong rotate and release type. What I have been doing thus far is pushing at the glass with my fingers while trying to rotate the bulb. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The assembly around the bulb is definitely not for removing, I've tried that and almost did significant damage to the surrounding ceiling.

They're horrid bastards, they run so hot, they are such a waste of power. I hate them with a vengeance but it's a rented house so all I can do is live with them for now.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

222540.jpg
    You should get a plastic rubber thingy with new bulbs (like the suction cup to hold your sat nav to the windscreen) which you press down on the face of the old bulb and then you can turn it so the prongs are released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

the sucker on your sat nav would probably do it.(outside the box)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The picture looks like the light units that I had about 18 years ago.
    If it is, the bulb is held in by a thin wire clip, recessed into the holder, which were a pain to get out. If you push the bulb slightly into the recess you should see the clip that the bulb sits on. (if its the same)
    Look carefully along the edge of the bulb and you may see it, with approx a 1 cm gap between the ends. I used to pop out the clip with a flat screwdriver holding one end of the clip and prise the other end out with small thin knife.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi dnme, yep I think you need one of these, or since the bulb is gone just super glue something that you can turn onto the bulb or try a lump of bluetack.

1.7685367507-79halogenbulbremover-www.suctioncupsdirect.co.uk.jpg

sundodger5 wrote: »
    when you buy them they come with a little suction cup type device for removing the bulbs. can be done with fingers but if they are stiff its hassle.

are you sure? I was left two new boxes of bulbs here by landlord, no suction device anywhere, plus in all my years buying these bulbs, Ive never seen such a device in the box.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

dnme wrote: »
    are you sure? I was left two new boxes of bulbs here by landlord, no suction device anywhere, plus in all my years buying these bulbs, Ive never seen such a device in the box.

I got them in the box with the light fittings not with the bulbs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Replace those hot unsafe and energy wasting bulbs with LEDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

If you don't have the suction cup, put a bit of insulating tape on the surface of the bulb and you will be able to get a better grip on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

just pop the fitting out of the ceiling and push out from the other side!otherwise suction cup is needed!it can be done with just fingers but is pretty tricky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Replace those hot unsafe and energy wasting bulbs with LEDS.

Agreed . I did and noticed a saving in the first month. 5w compared to 50 watt.

How much did you pay for the replacement bulbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

rubber kitchen gloves is the easiest way to get them out

if there totaly stuck turn them off and smash them with pliers and twist them out with that,
    GU10 = pure ****e!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

M cebee wrote: »
    rubber kitchen gloves is the easiest way to get them out
    +1 on the marigolds! Works for me every time one is tight.

Advertisement