Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get through a rough day

Options
  • 30-09-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this great article which made me smile :D

13 Simple steps to get you through a rough day

What are your tips?

Mine is to get dressed up nice, even if you have nowhere to go. And drink a hot chocolate with marshmallows!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

Playing with a dog :) always put a smile on my face... regardless of my mood
    testimonial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Meditation, candles, incense, thinking, and appreciating and realising how great you have it tbh and that, well, I couldnt get any better than I already have done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

+1 for dressing up nice
    Cuddles with the woof and the meow.
    Little treats like maple syrup in my porridge.

These days a cup of coffee for cold hands is doing wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rocky Marciano

I always try to have something to look forward to. However busy work gets during the week I just think 'only a few more days until the weekend and seeing friends and family again'.

Long walk through the woods or out at sea on a boat...good fresh air and more relaxed pace of life.

I'll make hot chocolate and head outside to gaze at stars.

Try to make someone smile or laugh at least once!!! Just random stuff I do on rough days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not having a very good day today, currently in bed, so tired - maybe 40 winks will help :-(

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Not having a very good day today, currently in bed, so tired - maybe 40 winks will help :-(

Well, today is nearly behind you now and the weekend will soon be here. So no looking back, only forwards, deal? :) Relax, unwind and recharge those batteries. Hope the rest of the evening will be brighter for you.

Well, today is nearly behind you now and the weekend will soon be here. So no looking back, only forwards, deal? :) Relax, unwind and recharge those batteries. Hope the rest of the evening will be brighter for you.

Thanks for that Marciano, really cheered me up! Tomorrows another day as they say :-)

Thanks for that Marciano, really cheered me up! Tomorrows another day as they say :-)
    Absolutely, and in 38 more days it's Christmas. So enjoy a good cup of hot chocolate and some quality YOU time :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If it's work

Dress well, really smart.

Treat yourself to a coffee/pastry before you stert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

A hug, even a virtual hug or a nice pic sent by someone when i'm feeling rough always cheers me up :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Dog cuddles. If not from my own dog any random dog will do! Whether they like it or not :D

Having a chat with the Mammy. "Sure it'll all be grand" Even if I'm having a brutal day those words are always comforting :)

Lighting a scented candle.

Putting on some of my favourite pick me up songs.

Googling pictures of Daniel Craig :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

All the above ^^^ and thanks for posting those btw :)

along with Exercising!

I just love swimming. It is so relaxing and enjoyable but also being outdoors doing fun activities especially cycling, jogging & hiking. Really doing anything anywhere outdoors with views, tranquility and nature. I find those activities help me get through a rough day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ehrmantraut

Tie your shoelaces and brush your teeth. Conducive to peace of mind.

Go outside and inhale. You'll feel fresher and fresh air.

If you're really in a rut, hug yourself. Try it. You'll feel all warm inside and outside.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sometimes doing something nice for someone else when you feel a bit down can help too - buy them a little gift or do something to help them out. When they are delighted with it, it makes you feel better too :)

My days just become bad because a picture of me at a club was just posted on Facebook and there was a guy at the club the same night that I really like and of the course the picture of me is AWFUL and the picture they took of him is lovely!

I was talking to him briefly when I was there (we were both quite tipsy) so I'm dreading him seeing that pic and thinking - "God, is THAT what she looks like":(:mad::pac: (NOTE: I don't normally look that bad!)

Ah well, pretty minor in the grand scheme of things I guess....!

Someone cheer me up please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Just being around friends that make you laugh and forget whatever is troubling you helps me. And I find treating yourself to a new outfit you look and feel good in always helps. Be positive and good to yourself :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

My days just become bad because a picture of me at a club was just posted on Facebook and there was a guy at the club the same night that I really like and of the course the picture of me is AWFUL and the picture they took of him is lovely!

I was talking to him briefly when I was there (we were both quite tipsy) so I'm dreading him seeing that pic and thinking - "God, is THAT what she looks like":(:mad::pac: (NOTE: I don't normally look that bad!)

Oh noes! Can you ask the club to take down the photo? And quick?!

I think most of us cringe when we see ourselves in pictures. Awful is such a strong word. I'm sure your friends would agree that you looked lovely. As Dr. Phil's father in Texas used to say "you wouldn't worry half as much about what people thought about you if you knew how little they did".

Besides, it could always be worse. People look at a photo for less than 5 seconds. I canvassed for a politician before and gave the most cringe-worthy interview ever to the party camera team. That 6:37 shocker is imortalised on youtube forever. Me and my shenanigans! :rolleyes::D

Seeing "Eoin Mclove" and "Fr Dermo" from Father Ted at the Laughter Lounge!

Long talks and cuddles!

Treats, pizza, simpsons on tv, and waiting for the Toy Show later!

I am fortunate in my job I see re-unions, gatherings, get-togethers and it's lovely to see acquaintances meet up who wouldn't have seen each other in some time. There is just something warm about being witness to those events and it helps brighten my day :)

• Advertisement

Friends episodes, it just seems to be a fun comfort thing for me now, always cheers me up if ive been feeling blah or just had a wierd day etc :) Watching the very first episode I ever had on video, yes video, back when I was 14 on TV now, good memories! I wanted my hair cut like Rachels for always, but length wise I had to go for Monicas at the time, still ok though :)

My nan was my rock when growing up and for me, it helps to visit either her grave or the church in her home-town to get me through a rough day. It just seems to help being that close to her :o

It may seem strange, but it works for me in helping clear my mind and make some tough decisions.

xmassy treats, even just buying them, makes you feel all good and festive

Hot chocolate with marshmallows!

Candy canes, even if you dont exactly eat them they just feel cool and xmassy to have in your mouth :D

Mince pies!

Mulled wine!

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Hot chocolate with marshmallows!

I was coming here to say the exact same thing :D And maybe a good film to drink it too (mine for tonight is Scrooged)

Bubblefett wrote: »
    I was coming here to say the exact same thing :D And maybe a good film to drink it too (mine for tonight is Scrooged)

I got a little gift from someone yesterday and in it there's a chocolate spoon which you swirl in a hot chocolate to make it extra chocolaty I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Radio on full blast on way in/out from work and singing along like I am drunk at a karaoke bar :)

Or in extreme circumstances, crack out the good old films like "Singing in the Rain" or "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Heading off to the airport early in the morning and getting a mcds breakfast, even if your not going anywhere, it holds nice memories for me of heading abroad before and also the place is done up all XMASSY!! :D

A glass of red wine at perfect temperature. nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Bubblefett wrote: »
    A glass of red wine at perfect temperature. nom.

With some nice Cashel Blue. Noym Noym. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Singing and dancing round the house to your favourite music. Or singing into a hairbrush/deodorant bottle :D

Advertisement