Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Mixed Martial Arts

Options
  • 30-09-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know what is going on as this place was closed on Saturday without notice and my son was a member?

A few parents said it was coming but still no news????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Maybe it would be best to contact Anthony direct and ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Waterford MMA is still going strong.
    Do you mean Waterford Martial Arts? I heard the one in tramore was emptied overnight between Fri/Sat

Maybe it would be best to contact Anthony direct and ask him.

Just to clarify; Anthony as mentioned above is Waterford MMA or mixed martial arts,

Not to be confused with Waterford Martial arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I don't know who Anthony is so I must mean Waterford Martial Arts. What happened in Tramore. Only there last Sunday

No idea what happened (although personally I always felt "cowboys" was the best way to describe them). All I heard was people turned up and the gym was stripped and empty. No signs or notice or anything

• Advertisement

mozattack wrote: »
    I don't know who Anthony is so I must mean Waterford Martial Arts. What happened in Tramore. Only there last Sunday

Anthony O'Brien runs the Waterford MIXED Martials arts gym out in the Lacken Road Business Park, not to be confused with any other club with a similar sounding name. He's a sound fella who is not going anywhere.

No idea what happened (although personally I always felt "cowboys" was the best way to describe them). All I heard was people turned up and the gym was stripped and empty. No signs or notice or anything

Why do you say Cowboys?

Young lad loved it so I have nothing bad to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Could one of the mods change the title please as the OP is clearly referring to Waterford Martial Arts not Waterford Mixed Martial Arts.

Two totally separate clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 intheshed

The instructors were excellent and my lad loved going to the Tramore gym.He was always looking forward to the classes. Pat in particular was excellent with young kids.

We got a call on Thursday to say the Tramore gym would be closing and to go to the park road gym on Saturdays instead.The place was emptied by Friday evening everything was gone.

We went to the park road gym on Saturday and the place was locked up. Loads of kids turned up and were disappointed.

A couple of the parents were saying there was a disagreement with the owner and a couple of the instructors had left to open a new gym of their own at the six cross roads.

intheshed wrote: »
    The instructors were excellent and my lad loved going to the Tramore gym.He was always looking forward to the classes. Pat in particular was excellent with young kids.

We got a call on Thursday to say the Tramore gym would be closing and to go to the park road gym on Saturdays instead.The place was emptied by Friday evening everything was gone.

We went to the park road gym on Saturday and the place was locked up. Loads of kids turned up and were disappointed.

A couple of the parents were saying there was a disagreement with the owner and a couple of the instructors had left to open a new gym of their own at the six cross roads.

Anyone know more on where that is and what the name is (place at six cross roads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

The places is name is black belt academy waterford (opened today) and is being run by pat and michael formerly waterford martial arts. It's out across from the new musgraves premises....can find them on FB black belt academy - waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I figured they were cowboys when they blatantly lied in their advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

carradine.jpg

martial arts cowboys ,too many of them about..

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I figured they were cowboys when they blatantly lied in their advertisements.

lied?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is an advert up in the chipper in Tramore for Mixed Martial Arts in the Holy Cross Primary School. None of the names mentioned here are on the poster tho.

ec18 wrote: »
    lied?

It was a few years ago. I saw their ad in Irish Fighter magazine saying they offered Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes. When I called to inquire about the classes [class times, fees] they told me they weren't BJJ classes but Japanese Jiu-Jitsu classes. I asked them why they were clearly advertising BJJ in their ads and they couldn't answer that directly. They clearly wanted to lure people in by advertising BJJ classes because of the UFC/MMA craze.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    It was a few years ago. I saw their ad in Irish Fighter magazine saying they offered Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes. When I called to inquire about the classes [class times, fees] they told me they weren't BJJ classes but Japanese Jiu-Jitsu classes. I asked them why they were clearly advertising BJJ in their ads and they couldn't answer that directly. They clearly wanted to lure people in by advertising BJJ classes because of the UFC/MMA craze.

Expected a more dramatic story than that I am afraid as they were labelled "liars" and "cowboys"

Expected a more dramatic story than that I am afraid as they were labelled "liars" and "cowboys"

I class them as "cowboys" since the majority of the belts were to put it mildly bullsh!t. Founded in 05 by someone who hadnt done a day of martial arts in his life before 00/01 (I can actually remember his 1st classes in Waterford Kickboxing around that time).

It might not be dramatic but blatantly lying in ads to bait and switch potential clients is not good. Maybe even Illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

im delighted pat and micheal and the few others have left and set up their own place, hope it works out fantasticly for them. WMA without these instructors just wouldnt or couldnt work, they were the ones who drew the people in and kept them there. if the big tall lad or the SA man were doing the lessons there is no way i would have stayed they are atrocious people with very little manner and especially not with children, i have found anyhow, they are only in it for the money and such classes shouldnt just be for money but for the love of the art. so is the WMA gone completely or will they try to continue with no instructors ?
    now lets just hope grandmaster massan cuts his ties with wma and affiliates with the new improved BBA.

• Advertisement

blankAs wrote: »
    im delighted pat and micheal and the few others have left and set up their own place, hope it works out fantasticly for them. WMA without these instructors just wouldnt or couldnt work, they were the ones who drew the people in and kept them there. if the big tall lad or the SA man were doing the lessons there is no way i would have stayed they are atrocious people with very little manner and especially not with children, i have found anyhow, they are only in it for the money and such classes shouldnt just be for money but for the love of the art. so is the WMA gone completely or will they try to continue with no instructors ?
    now lets just hope grandmaster massan cuts his ties with wma and affiliates with the new improved BBA.

I hope so but I have rang Pat twice now to get my young lad in and he didn't answer, nor did he respond.

Not a great start.

Cancelled direct debit with WMA so left with no-where to go.

It is all a bit sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

just keep trying the poor mans a little up to his eyeballls at the moment, think its been a bit of a sudden change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 intheshed

I too canceled the direct debit to WMA on Saturday after the place was locked up and no one turned up.No information or notice to parents or anyone to even to answer the phone.....

We called out to BBA on monday night and enrolled our lad. He was trilled to meet Pat, Michael and Lee the place was packed. Pat was swamped by people
    wanting to talk to him. Mozattak if you can't get him on the phone just call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gypsyjujitsu

I class them as "cowboys" since the majority of the belts were to put it mildly bullsh!t. Founded in 05 by someone who hadnt done a day of martial arts in his life before 00/01 (I can actually remember his 1st classes in Waterford Kickboxing around that time).

Why are the belts bull@#$t?????? that's quite a statement you are making. You must have a non Bulls%&t belt I am guessing????

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Why are the belts bull@#$t?????? that's quite a statement you are making. You must have a non Bulls%&t belt I am guessing????

I would like to enquire exactly what the belt lineage for "ultimate kickboxing" is?

Who awarded the head coach of WMA his "2nd Dan black belt"?

The place is a McDojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gypsyjujitsu

I would like to enquire exactly what the belt lineage for "ultimate kickboxing" is?

Who awarded the head coach of WMA his "2nd Dan black belt"?

The place is a McDojo.

The place might be a Mcdojo, no doubt, there are many of them about. There is a "Grandmaster" in Waterford!! HA HA HA. There are 8 year old 1st Degree black belts too!

Those, my friend, are "Mcdojo's".

You might even be in one, OH NO!!!! :):) Have a look around and see if there are any Grandmasters or 8 year old blackbelts!!! If not, then I guess you have the right to criticise, but if there are????????? LOL!

GM Massan Ghorbani awarded the second dan black belt and ultimate kick boxing is his system to the best of my knowledge

ec18 wrote: »
    GM Massan Ghorbani awarded the second dan black belt and ultimate kick boxing is his system to the best of my knowledge

Massan Ghorbani is, I believe, a 9th Dan in Hapkido.

The ancient art of Ultimate Kickboxing however, appears to have originated down on Park rd, and judging by the blurb on the WMA website it is a martial art comprising of stretching, meditation, rowing and feats of strength.

(It also looks like the WMA head honcho has seen fit to award himself a 4th Dan in his own system. Ossss)

The place might be a Mcdojo, no doubt, there are many of them about. There is a "Grandmaster" in Waterford!! HA HA HA. There are 8 year old 1st Degree black belts too!

Those, my friend, are "Mcdojo's".

You might even be in one, OH NO!!!! :):) Have a look around and see if there are any Grandmasters or 8 year old blackbelts!!! If not, then I guess you have the right to criticise, but if there are????????? LOL!

Train in a mcdojo? Me? I don't think so son!

You keep talking like that and i'll Dim Mak your ass!

• Advertisement

Massan also does the gradings at WMA in ultimate kickboxing and teaches it in bray and there's another place in galway that use the ultimate kick boxing system that massan is involved with. To the best of my knowledge it is Massans system not Park Rd's

Advertisement